Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outlook Web Access Vista

• 19-03-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

i've just got a new laptop with Vista.

when i go into my outlook web access i can receive, open and read my emails, but when i try to reply, i can't type a message in the message box. there is just a small red x.

i thought at first it was because i hadn't loaded microsoft word onto the computer, but i've done that now and it still doesn't work.

i've also loaded microsoft outlook (although a different version to microsoft office) office is 2007 and outlook is 2003.

if anyone has any suggestions i'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

It's a bug with Vista/IE7, something about the activeX rich text formatting text box control used for writing/formatting HTML iirc.

Use the basic option, which will give you a plain text box instead, as a workaround.

Not sure if MS have issued a fix yet. Likely to be serverside if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

Same happens here, getting a 'certificate error' (When using IE)

Works fine in Firefox though !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Think there is a patch for exchange comming out, dont think it happens on exchange 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 carolaryan

Use the basic option, which will give you a plain text box instead, as a workaround.

thanks for that, how do i use the basic optioin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Weird. I connect to my work email using OWA on Vista and it works fine in IE7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

DHTML Rich text controls are not included with the Vista IE7 so OWA wont work as well...

Try here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911829

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

IE7 has some changes to the default security zones and levels, which will stop certain types of scripting from being run, even if they ran fine in IE6.

DHTML Rich text controls are not included with the Vista IE7 so OWA wont work as well...

Try here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911829

I tried this, but it still isn't working. if anyone has any other suggestions i'd really appreciate it.

Have your admins applied the hotfix for OWA and Vista? There is an updated UI that doesnt use the RichText controls.

Hi Ginger
    Thanks for your help, but to be honest, i have no idea what you mean:confused:
    Is this a problem that needs to be taken back to the shop, or is there anything that even they could do about it?

• Advertisement

The issue is that OWA requires certain ActiveX controls to be installed on the computer. These were shipped as part of previous versions of Windows but because they presented a security risk, MS decided not to include them in Windows Vista. This is why OWA will still work in IE7 on Windows XP but not on IE7 on Vista.

So, to get around this, you have to install a hotfix (patch) on the server that provides OWA for you. Your system admins would normally take care of this. This provides OWA with a new interface that doesnt require the ActiveX controls and allows you to use OWA in Vista.

Does all that make sense?

that makes sense. i've tried the patch you linked to earlier on but that hasn't worked. do i need to go back to dell now to try and get them to sort it?

Its not Dells problem, its the people who supply your Emails problem. You need to apply the patch to the server not the laptop.

The main thing here is that its the server where you get your email (eg https://yourcompany.ie/outlookwa) that need to apply the patch.

Where did you install it before?

Advertisement