Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

moving from meteor to o2 - porting

• 19-03-2007 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

How do I go about porting from Meteor to o2 prepay to prepay? Can i download some consent file for moving, from o2's website?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

go into an o2 store, buy a sim card for between 13 and 15 euro and they'll move your number onto it. you'll lose any meteor credit you have but you get 25 o2 credit when you register it. make sure your phone is unlocked and make sure the salesperson copies your phone numbers to your new sim

you can't just download a form off the site because you need to get a new sim card.

why do you want to move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Really? :eek: So I cannot just call them and get it transferred to a new sim card free? Do I have to BUY a new sim card from o2 first? A bit sneaky.. I thought they would just give you a free sim card because you are kind enough to move to their network...

I have a few Meteor sim cards which I got free a while back, and now I wanna move them to o2 so I can get more free international webtexts + 25 euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

flodis79 wrote:
    Really? :eek: So I cannot just call them and get it transferred to a new sim card free? Do I have to BUY a new sim card from o2 first? A bit sneaky.. I thought they would just give you a free sim card because you are kind enough to move to their network...
    it costs 13 but you get 25 credit. i wish i got 25 euro every time i topped up by 13

it costs 13 but you get 25 credit. i wish i got 25 euro every time i topped up by 13
    Well, that's not really the point. They should provide a sim card for free when you move. I don't think it's fair that you have to pay. I rather get 25-13=12 euro on the new o2 sim card, as long as it' free. If I have to buy a new sim card to do the porting, I might as well go in and buy new sim cards and use the 086 number as web text instead. No point really to bother with the Meteor sim then. Thank for your help anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

flodis79, I guess the reason you have to get a new SIM card is that they can't hijack your Meteor SIM. :P

That being said, you do get 25 euros credit on the new O2 SIM card, and transferring your old number (once you get it) they can do that in the shop or you can call them on 1747.

As far as what's the point? It's so you can keep your existing number, that's the point. If you don't want to keep your existing number, and it appears you don't, than of course use the new 086 number instead.

• Advertisement

flodis79, I guess the reason you have to get a new SIM card is that they can't hijack your Meteor SIM. :P

That being said, you do get 25 euros credit on the new O2 SIM card, and transferring your old number (once you get it) they can do that in the shop or you can call them on 1747.

As far as what's the point? It's so you can keep your existing number, that's the point. If you don't want to keep your existing number, and it appears you don't, than of course use the new 086 number instead.

Why should they need to hijack the meteor sim card? I just want them to transfer the number to a new sim card, and at the same time deactivate the meteor sim card. Why should that not be possible? I mean, that's the whole point with porting!

I want to get more free o2 web texts (international) instead of meteor web texts (only national) without paying extra for getting a new sim card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

well i guess you cannot have it both ways, or the best of each world

old boy wrote:
    well i guess you cannot have it both ways, or the best of each world

Guess not. I have experiences from other European countries where you don't have to do anything more than filling out a porting application and they will give you a new sim card free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

You're not really "paying any extra" for the new SIM card. In fact, you get €25 of credit with it for free. You wouldn't want to have no credit on your phone anyway, right? Would you prefer to pay nothing for the SIM card, but than have to pay €25 to get €25 credit? I'm sorry, but this just isn't making a lot of sense to me. :D

You're not really "paying any extra" for the new SIM card. In fact, you get €25 of credit with it for free. You wouldn't want to have no credit on your phone anyway, right? Would you prefer to pay nothing for the SIM card, but than have to pay €25 to get €25 credit? I'm sorry, but this just isn't making a lot of sense to me. :D
    Well, I know that. I am going into the porting game with a Meteor sim card with zero balance. I want to have an o2 sim card instead. I dont care if theres money or not included, I just want a sim from o2. That they cannot give it to me for free is sneaky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Not really sneaky as they are not saying it's free. No company has a 'free' sim card as such. Even with Meteor, you have to buy at least 10euro credit and you get a sim free with that but you can't just walk in and get a sim card for nothing.

Thems the breaks, I'm afraid.

Advertisement