Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway...

Options
  • 19-03-2007 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

Hey all!!

Looking for advice/inspiration/thoughts... Im moving to Galway soon for a new job. I dont really know Galway at all, sounds like a great spot. Im going to be working in Spiddal so I was advised to live 'west of Eyre Square'. Can anyone suggest some area names that I could look out for on daft, nice spots that would be the right side of the city for traffic?

Thanks all :)

katie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Spiddal is a bit far out to get there from town everyday. I'd say Salthil / Knocknacarra area if you still wanna be 'in' town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

As Anima said.
    Anima wrote:
    Salthil/Knocknacarra area if you still wanna be 'in' town

Glad to hear your taking the job, you will love Galway**.

**(Not guaranteed)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I live in Knocknacarra at the minute. I'd guess its about a thirty to forty minute drive to Spiddal. If your working 9 - 5 or the like then traffic should be going the opposite direction.

Bus Service into town from here is pretty rubbish. Its about a 35 minute walk or a 10 minute cycle into town from Knocknacarra going the direct route, add on maybe 10 or 15 minutes to go the more scenic route by the coast.

I'd definitely recommend a bike for getting in and out of town. Apart from the frequent rain its the best way to go.

We have a little saying in Galway about the water: if it's brown drink it down, if it's black send it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

That far out really?? urgh :(

well i have a car so that might make life easier, but rules out living in town what with parking and all i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

440Hz wrote:
    Hey all!!

Looking for advice/inspiration/thoughts... Im moving to Galway soon for a new job. I dont really know Galway at all, sounds like a great spot. Im going to be working in Spiddal so I was advised to live 'west of Eyre Square'. Can anyone suggest some area names that I could look out for on daft, nice spots that would be the right side of the city for traffic?

Thanks all :)

katie

You want Knocknacarra, or any estate off the Western Distributor Road.

You don't mention if you have a car. Driving from Knocknacarra to Spidéal by car is about 20 minutes. First bus from Galway to Spidéal is 7:20am and takes about 40 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

littlejp wrote:
    I live in Knocknacarra at the minute. I'd guess its about a thirty to forty minute drive to Spiddal.
    Bus Service into town from here is pretty rubbish.

Spiddal is only 20 mins by car from Knocknacara,max.Theres also two bus services that cover the area so you can get one every 15 mins, hardly rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

littlejp wrote:
    I live in Knocknacarra at the minute. I'd guess its about a thirty to forty minute drive to Spiddal.

Nah man, Spiddal's only around 10 mins from Knocknacarra, about 15 mins from Salthill.

Try Lower Salthill for a nice compromise between town and Spiddal 440Hz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I said it was a guess. I don't drive and have only done it by bus.
    In my experience the bus service from Knocknacarra isn't very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Buses to Spiddal are pretty bad, but morning traffic from Knocknacarra to Spiddal wouldnt be bad I'd imagine.

The morning drive to Spiddal and back to the city in the evening is wonderfully traffic free. Its never more than 20 mins each way from my place in the city. Plus there's something really satisfying about watching long queues of cars going in the opposite direction :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

How many of those cars are only carrying one person?

Most of em I'd say. A few with with a couple of sheep buckled up in the back seat or a half dozen geese strapped to the roof, but thats about it...

cornbb wrote:
    Most of em I'd say. A few with with a couple of sheep buckled up in the back seat or a half dozen geese strapped to the roof, but thats about it...

eek!! /off to look for new job!

Hell, we're not even that bad in Kerry ;)

Found a lovely room in an apartment on the edge of the city, Crescent Court, just above SuperValue.

Just wondering, there is no parking with these apartments but the people who are leaving said there was no problem parking on the street after 5. Anyone have any advice on this? I saw more clamped cars in Galway in one hour than I have anywhere else in the country in total - is this a huge problem?

Does anyone maybe know of some private car parks in the area where I could pay for a space perhaps? I think its near Taylor's Hill, not sure though.

Thanks again for all the advice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

440Hz wrote:
    Found a lovely room in an apartment on the edge of the city, Crescent Court, just above SuperValue.

Just wondering, there is no parking with these apartments but the people who are leaving said there was no problem parking on the street after 5. Anyone have any advice on this? I saw more clamped cars in Galway in one hour than I have anywhere else in the country in total - is this a huge problem?

Does anyone maybe know of some private car parks in the area where I could pay for a space perhaps? I think its near Taylor's Hill, not sure though.

Thanks again for all the advice!!

You are near Taylors hill, Cresent Court is on Fr Griffen Road.There is an underground carpark under the Supervalu, dont know though if its possible to get a space for a resident.You will be looking at 6.30pm before you can park on the street legally as its pay and display all around that area.A 2-3 minute walk away and you can park around whitestrand/lower salthill, thats pretty much the closest around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

SyxPak wrote:
    How many of those cars are only carrying one person?

Most all of them i think.

Thats great info padi89, cheers!! I might see what the story with the car park is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

I live right beside spiddal in a place called Furbo and there are apartments(new) here, literally a ten minute drive to spiddal and then 15-20 minutes to town on the other side! If thats to far from the city you could try knocnacarra,salthill or Barna if your earning mega bucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DD

hey, i saw ur post, did u move to galway?
    i was curious cos now im in the same situation ...like u in march, looking for a job for months and i need to move soon
    :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You live in a good place for your job/being near the city. Good job.
    I imagine you chose your name so as to be mistaken as a man on purpose. :D

• Advertisement

Yup moved up!! Working in Spiddal and living in the city centre. Loving it so far, the people at work are very sound, although i dont really know anyone else.. and I missed the most recent beers here. So... if anyone is bored at the weekend.. actually, Ill start a thread :)

Advertisement