Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a 98 Lancer 1.3 GLX

Options
  • 19-03-2007 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I'm not actually buying this, it's being given to me so I'm damn happy about it.

Is there anything I should get check out before hand. Timing belt has been changed and there's a year of NCT left too. Not sure how much is on the clock but nothing over 70k anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've had a 98 Mirage Coupe and a 99 Mirage Hatchback (also 1.3's) in the past. Not much different from what you're getting, and never had a day's trouble with either of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Ah cool nice one. I hope it does me for at least 2 years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

just make sure your clutch and brake pads are in good order. gettin a free car is always nice :D

gettin a free car is always nice :D

Yeah, defo can't go wrong with free.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Yeah, defo can't go wrong with free.

well excluding 7up free and u69 the submarine! :D

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote:
    well excluding 7up free and u69 the submarine! :D

You need to work on your material sunshine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

Had a 98 GLX myself, first car and loved it!! Fairly basic, so theres not much that can go wrong bar the usuals. Once the timing belts been done anything else is fairly minor. I bought mine 2 years ago for €3200 and sold it 11 months ago for €3500. Says it all!!:D

Nice car to be getting for free, get urself a pair of alloys and a nice stereo and you'll love it!!

Nice one!!!

Yeah stereo was the thing I'd be looking for. Just a decent radio as I'm going to get an iTrip, possibly some decend mid range speakers for the doors but that's it. No interest in having alloys tbh.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Nice one!!!

Yeah stereo was the thing I'd be looking for. Just a decent radio as I'm going to get an iTrip, possibly some decend mid range speakers for the doors but that's it. No interest in having alloys tbh.
    I fitted a Pioneer headunit into my Mirage's (MP3 CD compatible) and it was great. Didn't bother changing the speakers though as I found the stock ones to be fine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

One thing to watch for on them is when the steering goes abit funny/loose. It may need a new steering rack but its no reall biggie!!

If you looking for a new headunit at a decent price send me a PM and I will give you the name of a guy that will sort you out!!

• Advertisement

Thanks again lads. Not getting for another few weeks but will keep you in mind regarding the radio. I presume he does the installation as well?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No he doesn't do installation but he could point you in the right direction!! Or failing that he can ring me and I can do it!!

Installation is fairly handy anyway (was on my two - did the 2nd myself) though you might need a cable adapter if it's an import. you can get them in Halfords etc though

Not an import. Not sure I'd be able/arsed to do it myself. May get one of ye to do it for me.

Advertisement