Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Refurbishment

Options
  • 19-03-2007 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Going to look at a house that needs some serious work done, can people give me some questions that I should ask....any help would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Going to look at a house that needs some serious work done, can people give me some questions that I should ask....any help would be great.

First thing I would think of was structurally is the building sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Cheers, twas one of the questions I'd got already.

Can I ask to have it surveyed or does that not happen till it's changed hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

You should be able to get it surveyed pre sale agreement - the current owner should allow you bring an architect in once you show that you're serious about it.

Your surveyor/architect will answer most of your questions. But for your own sake you should try and find all history on the building ie. initial planning permission and subsequent planning permission (if any). Your solicitor should help or point you in the right direction.

Will you keep us updated as to how you're getting on as refurbishing a house is an option I'll be considering (maybe) in the next year or so. :)

Yeah defo will connundrum, it's only a pipe dream at the moment but will let you know how I get on.

If after the surveyor goes in and finds out something disastrous, could I pull out of the sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Yeah defo will connundrum, it's only a pipe dream at the moment but will let you know how I get on.

If after the surveyor goes in and finds out something disastrous, could I pull out of the sale?

I think most sales are all on condition of Survey, So if your Surveyer said it was a lemon you could pull out. I would check with your solictor on that one. When you hire them as chances are after that you will never get to talk to him again...:-)

• Advertisement

Price has gone out of our budget now anyway. Twas major fire damage downstairs. You can see it on myhome.ie, semi detached in Ballinteer, 3 bedrooms.....price is up to €405k atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭massplanck

405,000 euro for a fire gutted home?

:eek:

Yeah but there's houses going for 700-800 on the same road. Developer will pick it up and fix it up dirt cheap, sell it on at a nice profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭massplanck

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Yeah but there's houses going for 700-800 on the same road. Developer will pick it up and fix it up dirt cheap, sell it on at a nice profit.

no one is selling anything at the moment.

massplanck wrote:
    no one is selling anything at the moment.

Well that's their current value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Zambia232 wrote:
    I think most sales are all on condition of Survey
    Specificly auctions are "as is", you must do the survey first.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Twas major fire damage downstairs

Major fire down stairs would probably mean it would have to be more than gutted.

With out seeing the damage I would think that structural the building wouldn’t be sound and may need to start from scratch so at the end of the day you are probably going to be paying for the land it’s on

Any chance you could post the link. I couldnt find it

http://www.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=309849&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

There ya go, only 1 picture but it gives you an idea of what state it's in. Been like that for 2 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In all honesty- if the house is structually sound, it still would have to be totally gutted internally. 350k for that house, irrespective of location, is extortion. Then again most housing these days is extortionate......

smccarrick wrote:
    In all honesty- if the house is structually sound, it still would have to be totally gutted internally. 350k for that house, irrespective of location, is extortion. Then again most housing these days is extortionate......

You would have to consider things like water damage etc as well. As I said before your going to be paying for the land not the house.

If this was insured what happens?

The person gets a payout to rebuild? Same person takes the money buys else were and sells the burnt out house for unreal money. Sounds like a win win situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bico

If you look at an old house in need of renovation an important question to ask is whether it is a protected structure . If it is , you are very limited with what you can do with the building and you'll have to get planning for every minor change.

Advertisement