Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate truffles -- ideas

• 19-03-2007 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm looking for new ideas for chocolate truffles.
    Currently, I'm following a modified recipe stolen off Nigel Slater -- i.e., melt choc using hot double cream in a 1.6:1 choc:cream ration, cool, form into balls, then coat in tempered chocolate.

Now, so far, I've added to the chocolate truffles themselves, using various fruit liqueurs and/or whipped cream (by folding them in); however, I'm still not satisfied!
    First -- is there any place that sells a *good* chocolate liqueur (in Dublin or Louth)? I really want to test out a triple-choc truffle...

Also, when I go to coat the finished truffles, I pick them up with 1 pick, turn them in melted choc (coating fully), then put them down on a cocoa-dusted plate. However, the chocolate always runs down a bit, forming a "skirt" around the truffle. Is there any way to avoid this?

Lastly, what can I add on top? I usually sprinkle with a bit of cocoa, but would like to know some other toppings (like a chocolatier ;) ).

Cheers,
    Kiki

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

To avoid runny chocolate, allow it to cool a little - it'll become more viscous and you won't get the skirt. Also, roll your truffle in little cocoa-powder snowdrifts to set the surface.

Top with cocoa powder/shavings of chocolate (dark, milk or white) or 'hundreds and thousands' - the all chocolate ones (sprinkles? dunno the official term).

Then start doing obscenely lucious things - take a whole maraschino cherry... impale on a pick... roll in tempered chocolate until coated... then proceed with the turning in melted chocolate and the finishing with sprinkles of things...

Then turn all the lights off... pull the blinds down... and start with, instead of a maraschino cherry, a roasted coffee bean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Would also advise letting chocolate cool more before dipping... also maybe stick the coated truffle into something so it's upside down, that way if anything drips it falls off...

Have you tried chilli in them? It's divine... just a little... really brings out the chocolate! I was in Chicago a few years ago and they had made chocolate truffle olive... that's right!!! I thought it was going to be awful... it was actually really nice!

As for sprinklings... desecated coconut... crumbled pistachio, or any nuts... biscuit crumbs...

Will have to ponder this one more... mmm truffles! :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

chocolate covered coffee beans are the business alright.

Advertisement