Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

End of Spurs Vs Chelsea game !! Fan attacks lampard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nope, just the right about of Stewards. Then when one person legs it on, they get creamed. Also the complete lack of any sort of decent response showed it all.

If you don't think Spurs are guilty, got a question for you, would this have happened at Old Trafford or at Anfield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    Nope, just the right about of Stewards. Then when one person legs it on, they get creamed. Also the complete lack of any sort of decent response showed it all.

If you don't think Spurs are guilty, got a question for you, would this have happened at Old Trafford or at Anfield?

Of course it could of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

That's why I'm ok with Neville celebrating in front of the Liverpool fans, that's why I'm ok with Fowler giving the five finger salute if he scores at Old Trafford. People are growns up, they don't need to be coddled.

OK but werent you one of the voices on here stating outlandish punishment for Arsenal players after the "battle of old trafford" You cant have it both ways you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

PHB wrote:
    Bull****, let them celebrate. If fans want to abuse players all game, then if the players win, they deserve whatever they get. That's why I'm ok with Neville celebrating in front of the Liverpool fans, that's why I'm ok with Fowler giving the five finger salute if he scores at Old Trafford. People are growns up, they don't need to be coddled.

Spurs should be heavily fined. They are guilty of not policing their ground properly, which is essential to the viability of the premiership. It is totally their fault.

The EPL is one of a few leagues which actively try to stop overcelebration and incitement towards fans. You only have to look at Italy and South America for example of players overcelebrating after goals or matches and causing mass riots and in a few cases deaths.

If you want to have no restrictions on celebrations go ahead...you'll get more and more incidents like this.

And yeah, it is down a little bit to culture but theres rules for reasons. PLayers are paid enough to act responsibly and not to react to the crowd. In return the crowd should have some resonsbility but your talking about 40,000 people not 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Sky's reaction was totally over the top. Keys described it as a 'potentially life threatening' incident while Redknapp said the guy should serve time (while not mentioning that Lampard is his cousin).

This is absolute nonsense. It was as much of a security breach as anytime a streaker or any other randomer gets onto the pitch. These are potentially life threatening to the same extent in that if they whipped out a knife there could be danger. They didn't and this guy didn't.

He should get banned from White Hart Lane but no way should he serve time. For what? Attempted assault? He didn't even hit him. When you consider that players have gotten away without time for racistly assaulting members of the public it should put it in some perspective. If this guy should 'serve time' for attempted assault then Cole shoudl be serving more for actual assault on the guy. It wasn't self defence is his case, the guy didn't try to attack him and was being held down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

PHB wrote:
    N

I dont know if it would happen but I know that it certainly could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

stooge wrote:
    IMHO Chelsea went over the top in their celebrations -

Players get booked week in week out for overcelebrating goals, Chelsea I feel went just a little too far considering it was only a quarter final match. They should get a little slap on the wrists but no more. It just seemed a bit nasty the way they were celebrating, like it wasnt just the victory it was like F* YOU Spurs fans.

Spurs deserved to get beat, they werent good enough. And they also deserve to get a fairly hefty fine for failing to control their fans. The two arrested at the end should be banned for a good few years if not life.

One more point, after the match stewards and Chelsea staff had got the man on the ground, there was absolutely no need for Drogba and Cole (and one other player who I cant identify) to go anywhere near the situation. Dont give me crap about sticking up for your teammate, Frank was about 5 yards away by this stage. What if the supporter had a knife or gun, your running right towards a serious injury.

It shows the togetherness of the Chelsea players, but it also goes to show just how thick they are as well.

and no, I'm not a spurs Utd, liverpool or arsenal fan nor am I a chelsea hater.

So if some boozed up dirt bag tried to attack one of your mates you'd do a runner incase he had a knife?

mcgarnicle wrote:
    So if some boozed up dirt bag tried to attack one of your mates you'd do a runner incase he had a knife?

Can you read???....

"Frank was about 5 yards away by this stage"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

stooge wrote:
    Can you read???....

"Frank was about 5 yards away by this stage"

:rolleyes:

Maybe you should watch the video again. :rolleyes: Drogba was straight after the guy the second he went for Lampard. Fair play to him I say.

http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/27/tit.gif There it is there, you can clearly see Drogba running after the guy as soon as he swings for Lampard. Don't know where you got your 5 yards from to be honest. It all happened in about a second.

• Advertisement

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Maybe you should watch the video again. :rolleyes: Drogba was straight after the guy the second he went for Lampard. Fair play to him I say.

http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/27/tit.gif There it is there, you can clearly see Drogba running after the guy as soon as he swings for Lampard. Don't know where you got your 5 yards from to be honest. It all happened in about a second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMZT1D2iDD0

Yeah Drogba is runs straight in, but after two guys have wrestled the man to the floor. The video above shows cole running over to the guy, lampard with shirt off is in the top right, about 5 yards form the man on the ground. No need, especially when there are at least 5 security and other people already on top of the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Turns out the second fan on the pitch was a Chelsea fan. Probably there to get revenge on the Spurs fan for invading! Apparently both fans are going to be banned from their respective clubs for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest lads I'm totally with PHB (for a change) on this one. We are getting to the stage now where we are sanatising football. No standing, no celebrations, no going anywhere near the fans. What next, no singing no talking at a game?

give it a rest will ya, they just won a quarter final replay agaisnt their most hated rivals, why not celebrate like that? Oh and in case anyone has never watched Chelsea they celebrate like that quite frequently, even after league games.

The fan was a scumbag and a pussy by the look of that punch. Probably some other north london chav who left school at 12, has 9 kids and blames "Fat" Frank for England not winning every footie tournament since the 66 world cup, because lets face it they deserved to.

As for all the "shame he didn't hit that over rated over payed has been" brigade I think its more sour grapes. I'm constantly amazed how such a crap player is in and around the 20 mark for goals every season from midfield and always up the top end of the actim index.

OK but werent you one of the voices on here stating outlandish punishment for Arsenal players after the "battle of old trafford" You cant have it both ways you know.

Actually you can. One is to do with how people respond to each other through words or celebrations, the other is to do with physical violence.
    I'm ok with Fowler geering United fans, I'm not ok with him using physical violence against them. I'm ok with Arsenal players geering Van Nist, I'm not ok with them using physical violence. It's a very different situation.

The EPL is one of a few leagues which actively try to stop overcelebration and incitement towards fans. You only have to look at Italy and South America for example of players overcelebrating after goals or matches and causing mass riots and in a few cases deaths.

Yeh, that's why there are mass riots and deaths, players over celebrating. The problems with football in Italy and South America go much much deeper than allowing players to celebrate.
    If you want to have no restrictions on celebrations go ahead...you'll get more and more incidents like this.

I don't want them to be able to do whatever they want, but there is a healthy balance. I was over in Old Trafford as a kid and when Giggs scored, he ran over to my section of the crowd, and it was one of the best experiences I've had in life. I don't think the fact that the opposing fans get annoyed is enough to stop this sort of thing. Football becomes more and more sterile with no real passion. It's possible to be safe and to have passion, and anyone who suggests otherwise is attempting to sweep the real reasons behind this sort of violence under the carpet.
    And yeah, it is down a little bit to culture but theres rules for reasons. PLayers are paid enough to act responsibly and not to react to the crowd. In return the crowd should have some resonsbility but your talking about 40,000 people not 11.

Players are acting responsibly. They are doing nothing wrong, Chelsea did nothing wrong. The only problem I'd have is that Lampard didn't do what Stack did. But that's because he was acting like a pro, and didn't retaliate like he probably would have if it happened on the street.
    It's a man's game, and if you can't accept defeat without needing to resort to physical violence, first off, you're not even a man, and secondly, you don't belong in any football stadium.

I dont know if it would happen but I know that it certainly could happen.

What, you don't think there are attempts to get on the pitch all the time at Old Trafford and Anfield? If they did happen the stewards are on them like lightning, and they are brought down. It's why stuff like this doesn't happen, proper security regulations.

It's possible to be both safe and have the passion involved in the game. There are limits, but the way its going lately, it's like passion is against the rules, and if that happens, football will ultimately suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

iregk wrote:

The fan was a scumbag and a pussy by the look of that punch. Probably some other north london chav who left school at 12, has 9 kids and blames "Fat" Frank for England not winning every footie tournament since the 66 world cup, because lets face it they deserved to.

Bye.

PHB wrote:
    What, you don't think there are attempts to get on the pitch all the time at Old Trafford and Anfield? If they did happen the stewards are on them like lightning, and they are brought down. It's why stuff like this doesn't happen, proper security regulations.

Security is never 100% secure, if it was the Utd team photo from Munich in 2001 would only have 11 faces. Aren't the Germans supposed to be ultra efficient?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Punishing Chelsea would be ridiculous,where do you draw the line if you are to punish celebrations?I mean come on,its not like they were directly taunting the spurs fans,they were celebrating with their own.

The two idiots who ran onto the pitch should definately be made an example of though,you cant have that sort of thing going on.Lampard was lucky he didnt get seriously hurt.

Anam wrote:
    The two idiots who ran onto the pitch should definately be made an example of though,you cant have that sort of thing going on.

Spurs have already dealt with the Tottenham fan:
    With reference to the incident which followed last night's FA Cup replay, we can confirm that two fans entered the field of play, one from each club. The Tottenham Hotspur fan is to receive an immediate life time ban from matches at White Hart Lane and will appear in court during the coming week. Details of the Chelsea supporter have been forwarded to Chelsea Football Club and we believe that they will be taking similar action.

We shall co-operate fully with the FA . The Club considers the safety of supporters and players to be paramount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Bye.

Hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

iregk banned. Given I'd already warned on the thread - 1 month.

Next ban is 2 months and I'll close the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

PHB wrote:

Might wanna rethink that
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/theknowledge/story/0,,1520987,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

stooge wrote:
    The real danger in this is how many feckin stewards fall:D quite comical falls to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did I hear Redknapp say entertainment when he meant to say sport?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Chelsea players had a hard earned right to celebrate. every winning football team does. i mightn't be as overt in celebrations myself if i were in their situation, but there's no need to give them flack over it.

What i do feel they deserve flack over is the reaction to the fan. Clearly once he was subdued you can see the Chelsea players having a go at him, stamps and kicks. thier response was excessive, the did not behave like the role models they are touted as. and if the world was a fair place some of them would be charged over it also.

The fan was an idiot though, and deserves whatever he gets.

I feel Sky should have their broadcasting licence revoked for their comments on it though. "Life threatening" my arse, if anyone's life was endangered it was the fans from the Chelsea team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I feel Sky should have their broadcasting licence revoked for their comments on it though. "Life threatening" my arse, if anyone's life was endangered it was the fans from the Chelsea team.

I think they're implying the fan could have had a knife, so as hew was able to run onto the pitch and take a swipe at Frank Lampard he could have potentially killed him if he wanted/wasn't so uncoordinated.

Actually you can. One is to do with how people respond to each other through words or celebrations, the other is to do with physical violence.
    I'm ok with Fowler geering United fans, I'm not ok with him using physical violence against them. I'm ok with Arsenal players geering Van Nist, I'm not ok with them using physical violence. It's a very different situation.

Are you saying that Arsenal used physical violence against united that day? LOL

You said it yourself all they did was geer van nist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Some people losing the run of themselves here.

It didn't happen at Old Trafford, and it didn't happen at Anfield. Whether it "could have" or not is irrelevant IMO.

PHB, I think you objected to Robben jumping into the crowd on the basis that he might squash a child. I said at the time that unless he actually does, we should overlook this kind of occasional extreme celebration instead of punishing players who show such passion. We should trust players to go into the crowd without accidentally bashing off a nipper. But as it was a Chelsea player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

jank wrote:

and thump and push him after he missed a penalty ;)

anyway, there's a difference between celebrating and over-celebrating. There's a time limit.

Chelsea have a habit of over celebrating, and by that i mean taking shirts off, throwing them into the crowd, clenched fists, hi five's etc..

Most of that can be kept in the dressing room. You should respect the opposition and their fans. Sure, if you win any match, you're entitled to celebrate.

A walk over to the fans, brief applaud, throw a few shirts in maybe if it's a well earned win - grand. But if it goes on for a few minutes and players stay there lapping it up, it's a blatent lack of respect for the opposition.

PHB, I think you objected to Robben jumping into the crowd on the basis that he might squash a child. I said at the time that unless he actually does, we should overlook this kind of occasional extreme celebration instead of punishing players who show such passion. We should trust players to go into the crowd without accidentally bashing off a nipper. But as it was a Chelsea player...

Theres a line to be drawn. Its possible to go next to the crowd, but not into it. This is all done in extremes, but it's possible to balance.

Are you saying that Arsenal used physical violence against united that day? LOL

Against Van Nist they did, and if you remember, they were punsihed because of that. Van Nist has a way of dealing with people who geer him, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw5l-WoTZcQ
    it's up to the FA to deal with them if they get violent, which they did.

Theres a balance to be had, between allowing passion, without decending into violence. There's no reason adults can't do this in football, because they do it in everything else.

Against Van Nist they did, and if you remember, they were punsihed because of that. Van Nist has a way of dealing with people who geer him, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw5l-WoTZcQ
    it's up to the FA to deal with them if they get violent, which they did.

Well if you call that violence then you need to get out more. Its laughable that a push can be described as violent now a days.

Fine if you thats your view but one cant shift the goal posts in between matchs to suit their own needs and arguements.

Remember football is a contact sport.

[Rant]
    I think on the whole Football now a days is much too PC and its threatening to rip the soul out of the sport.
    The Carling Cup for example. A load of hand bags yet 4 players were banned for a total of 13 games. There was only one punch thrown and it could barely clasify as a punch, more of push with the arm then anything. Eboue deserved to get banned for that but adeboyer gets 4 games for **** all.

Im very worried for the long term future of the sport in this country and in general. Too much **** going on around the world. Too much money, too much play acting, too much politics, too many demi gods. Just look at rugby and how professional it is run in this country. Ronan o gara lives a mile up the road from me. I have seen him in the local in many occasions with this friends having a pint and no one bothers him. He is the 2nd best out half in the world right now. Name another sport where that can happen?
    And its not just here. In Italy its on a high and who can blame them after 2 years of scandel and trouble in Seria A.
    [/rant]

edit: interesting that you posted a video of a converted peno that came from a Wayne "i dont dive" Rooney. Ironic isnt it.
    Oh and the FA are a bunch of morons, I doubt anybody disputes that.

smemon wrote:

anyway, there's a difference between celebrating and over-celebrating. There's a time limit.

Chelsea have a habit of over celebrating, and by that i mean taking shirts off, throwing them into the crowd, clenched fists, hi five's etc..

Most of that can be kept in the dressing room. You should respect the opposition and their fans. Sure, if you win any match, you're entitled to celebrate.

A walk over to the fans, brief applaud, throw a few shirts in maybe if it's a well earned win - grand. But if it goes on for a few minutes and players stay there lapping it up, it's a blatent lack of respect for the opposition.

excellent post....

• Advertisement

Well if you call that violence then you need to get out more. Its laughable that a push can be described as violent now a days.

Violence isn't defined by the action, its defined by the intent. Arsenal acted violently towards Van Nist, and I'd be suprised if you could find anyone who wasn't an Arsenal fan who doesn't think that Arsenal should have been punished for that.

Football being a contact sport has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with what Arsenal did there. Football being a contact sport is to do with what you are doing to get the ball back or with the ball, not what Arsenal did.

PHB wrote:
    Violence isn't defined by the action, its defined by the intent. Arsenal acted violently towards Van Nist, and I'd be suprised if you could find anyone who wasn't an Arsenal fan who doesn't think that Arsenal should have been punished for that.

Football being a contact sport has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with what Arsenal did there. Football being a contact sport is to do with what you are doing to get the ball back or with the ball, not what Arsenal did.

You have outdone yourself again PHB.
    What next? Thought police 1984 style!! ROFL

Defined by the intent?

Here are a few definitions:
    an act of aggression
    Violence is a general term to describe actions, usually deliberate, that cause or intend to cause injury to people, animals, or non-living objects
    To injure or abuse another with physical force
    The infliction on people of physical injury or death, or the threat to do so

The last one you may jump on but before you do let me say this.
    Van nist isnt dead and he wasnt injured. If the Arsenal players wanted to hurt him then why didnt they? Wasnt he surrounded by them? Sure he as bullied and pushed around but come one spare me the "oh think of the children" malarky

We are going over old ground here but the jist of the story is PHB is that you move the goal posts when it suits you.

You have no problem players gestering to opposition fans yet you find what happened that day grossly offensive and even violent!?
    Remember some old firm players were charged with incitment to riot because of a few gestures...

I picked up on this point PHB becuase your being a hypocrtie. You cant have it both way. Either be PC or have it large as they say over the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hey Jank and PHB, stop waving your cocks about. In case you both haven't noticed, the thread is about a match between Spurs and Chelsea. The OP was even kind enough to put both teams in the thread title to avoid confusion but yet you've both managed to turn the thread into a Manu v Arsenal flame war. Well done lads!! True to form.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

smemon wrote:

what do you mean they have a habit of it?

how many instances can you tell us of?

i dont see how it is disrespecting the opposition. There are a lot worse things happening in football at teh minute than celebrating goals and wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

BaZmO* wrote:
    The OP was even kind enough to put both teams in the thread title to avoid confusion but yet you've both managed to turn the thread into a Manu v Arsenal flame war. Well done lads!! True to form.....

quoted for truth tbh.

and lets face it, its not as if they arent the 2 most jingoist fans on the forum.

anyway, i see drogba is in the mix now for violence towards a supporter.
    im sure spurs will be thrown out of the league, and cups next year over the mass brawl that went on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

event wrote:

i couldn't be arsed checking the stats and giving you exact matches, but they do and im sure most people will agree.

It stems from mourinho - the chosen one, the ice man... he encourages it.

Like i said, i've no problem with Chelsea celebrating with their own fans. But they stayed there too long.

Based on the Chelsea celebrations, i'd have thought chelsea had just got into the final. Contrast Chelsea's celebrations with utd's..

bar the handbags on the touchline, very low profile, a few claps and waves and off everyone goes down the tunnel.

At away matches, if you win a big match, you go over to your fans, but never stand still and applaud them lapping it up, you keep moving in an arc shaped fashion and go back to the tunnel. If it's a semi final victory, or final victory, obviously you celebrate more.

If you lose and away match, you move your body towards your fans, walk over towards them and applaud them, as a token gesture.

They're the unwritten rules. As Chelsea had no real reason to celebrate as much as they did, it suggests they were just doing it to rub it in.

quoted for truth tbh.

and lets face it, its not as if they arent the 2 most jingoist fans on the forum.

Ah ya the old chestnut of making a point and defending it doesn't seem acceptable to some posters.

If one stays within the rules of the charter when making a point(s) then what can be wrong with that other then you don't like the poster or the post or both.

Flame war you say?
    This has nothing to do with united/liverpool/arsenal/etc.
    This is to with violence on the field of play, off the field, how the media reacts to these incidents with simultaneous glee and condemnation and how many people fall for the subsequent trap of the media onslaught and analyst.
    If one has an opinion then say it but one cant change his mind cause such incidents occured involving a team he/she follows. This is the crux of the problem.

Does the fan deserve time? No.
    Does he deserve a ban from WHL. Yes.
    Should spurs be punished. No

This is all.
    anyway, i see drogba is in the mix now for violence towards a supporter.
    im sure spurs will be thrown out of the league, and cups next year over the mass brawl that went on :rolleyes:

So we agree that the FA are a bunch of morons then....
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I don't see any reason for discussing Gunners or United.

I'm coming very close to closing this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I heard on Newstalk that the FA are now saying that no player will face sanction for confronting any supporter on the pitch at that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

then im guessing that no player was involved in kicking any supporters on the ground, as reported.

anyway, did cantona ever get done when he tried to kung fu kick that palace supporter? am trying to remember if there was a police involvement in that fiasco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

then im guessing that no player was involved in kicking any supporters on the ground, as reported.

anyway, did cantona ever get done when he tried to kung fu kick that palace supporter? am trying to remember if there was a police involvement in that fiasco.
    I know the point you're making but the police do actually get involved in exceptional cases. Didn't a player get a custodial sentence recently for punching an opposing player in the FA Cup?

It was someone from one of the lower league teams and it was one of the featured games on match of the day.

Or maybe it's a case of one rule for the millionaires and another for the paupers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Personally if someone shouted a load of racist abuse whilst running towards me gesticulating like a mad man Id feel well within my rights to karate kick him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Yawn. Everyone hates Chelsea. How insightful. Can any SPURS fans here say they felt offended by the nature of Chelsea's celebrations, or is it just United and Arsenal fans getting offended on behalf of Spurs fans? :rolleyes:

The Chelsea fan got a 5 year ban. Was good to see JT give him the thumbs up, must have told him he was Chelsea. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Chelsea obviously dont care about having trouble makers in their stadiums if they only give him a 5 year ban.

If i was Tim smith, i'd report cole and drogba to the police for assualt.

Bateman wrote:
    Was good to see JT give him the thumbs up, must have told him he was Chelsea. :)

Probaly one of JT mates.

Bateman wrote:
    Yawn. Everyone hates Chelsea. How insightful. Can any SPURS fans here say they felt offended by the nature of Chelsea's celebrations, or is it just United and Arsenal fans getting offended on behalf of Spurs fans? :rolleyes:

I wasn't there, and was working during the 2nd half, but if I had been there offended isn't the word I'd choose to describe my mood. Pissed off and hurling abuse perhaps.
    Bateman wrote:
    The Chelsea fan got a 5 year ban. Was good to see JT give him the thumbs up, must have told him he was Chelsea. :)

I find that more offensive. Spurs obviously take this sort of thing more seriously than Chelsea, shouldn't surprise me though considering the Chelsea blade merchants who turned up in Putney last Sunday...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

I find that more offensive. Spurs obviously take this sort of thing more seriously than Chelsea.

The spurs fan tried to punch a player the chelski fan didn't. One can be done for attacking a player, I'm guessing the other guy can just be done for pitch invasion.

I still do not see how a team celebrating in front of their own fans can be seen as justification for violence.
    smemon wrote:

At away matches, if you win a big match, you go over to your fans, but never stand still and applaud them lapping it up, you keep moving in an arc shaped fashion and go back to the tunnel. If it's a semi final victory, or final victory, obviously you celebrate more.

If you lose and away match, you move your body towards your fans, walk over towards them and applaud them, as a token gesture.

that does reads very much like a Chumley Warner sketch, I can just picture Harry Enfield and Paul Whithouse standing their in their flat caps :D

The spurs fan tried to punch a player the chelski fan didn't. One can be done for attacking a player, I'm guessing the other guy can just be done for pitch invasion.

I still do not see how a team celebrating in front of their own fans can be seen as justification for violence.

[Maud Flanders]but what if he'd had a knife!!![/Maud Flanders]

Both a security risk surely?

And just to confirm, you're not suggesting that I've tried to justify what the Spurs fan did...are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Personally if someone shouted a load of racist abuse whilst running towards me gesticulating like a mad man Id feel well within my rights to karate kick him.
    plus, the police did investigate, and Cantona had to do community service as a 'punishment', which ment he had to go play football and train some 'inner city' kids, which he loved doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

[Maud Flanders]but what if he'd had a knife!!![/Maud Flanders]

Both a security risk surely?

And just to confirm, you're not suggesting that I've tried to justify what the Spurs fan did...are you?

not you but plenty of people have harked on about how much the players celibrated

yes both are security risks, but one of them actually tried to hurt someone, theres the difference and thats is why there is a different punishment. If the other guy had tried to injure a spurs player I am pretty sure chelski would have also banned him for life as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

event wrote:

i dont see how it is disrespecting the opposition. There are a lot worse things happening in football at teh minute than celebrating goals and wins
    I have to agree with smemon and Chelsea do have a habit of over celebrating like the way they did last weekend.

It can incite fans if it goes on too long but I suppose there is nothing that can be done about it

• Advertisement
Advertisement