Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More high profile wrestlers publicy linked to steroids

• 19-03-2007 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

It was Kurt Angle last week and now theres more.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/03/19/wrestlers/index.html

I'm not really sure if this is something that will just die away or something that could be a big issue. With it being sports illustrated though, I don't think it can be as easily ignored by the WWE.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

First of all, i'm surprised to see Edge's name on the list of wrestlers, I thought he had more sense than that.

Next, I have to say i'm disgusted to see Eddie's name there. He was sober and steriod free 4 years when he died and to even speculate that he took them in the year before he died is an insult to the entire Guerrero family. Its also spitting in the face of all the fans who loved Guerrero and believed in him. I know this is turning into a bit of a rant, but I really don't believe his name should have been mentioned. I'm surprised that Sports Illustrated posted the story, I always thought they were more reputible than this. I would expect a tabloid site to drag his name through the dirt. I hope somebody gets sued for this BS. Sorry again for ranting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Minto wrote:
    First of all, i'm surprised to see Edge's name on the list of wrestlers, I thought he had more sense than that.

Next, I have to say i'm disgusted to see Eddie's name there. He was sober and steriod free 4 years when he died and to even speculate that he took them in the year before he died is an insult to the entire Guerrero family. Its also spitting in the face of all the fans who loved Guerrero and believed in him. I know this is turning into a bit of a rant, but I really don't believe his name should have been mentioned. I'm surprised that Sports Illustrated posted the story, I always thought they were more reputible than this. I would expect a tabloid site to drag his name through the dirt. I hope somebody gets sued for this BS. Sorry again for ranting.

edge's wife has come out in the past and has accused him of taking steroids but i dont think anyone really took it too seriously at the time.
    Secondly I totally agree with you on how Eddie's(rip) name was and still is used in connection with steroids in the lead up to his death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Eddie was sober and pain killer free for the 4 years before he died. i.e he was free from the things he had become addicted to (alcohol and painkillers). There was never any mention of him being steroid free - i think you have confused the two things.

You just have to look at the change in Eddie's physique over the years and particularly in the last years of his life. When he did the programme with Mysterio, he looked HUGE and since around 2003, he had visible back acne. The Sports Illustrated artical is based on more than just hearsay; its based on actual prescriptions and solid evidence. There is no way Eddie's name would be on the list if it wasnt true.

Regarding Edge, I definitely noticed him getting a lot smaller when the wellness policy was introduced. Also, when the whole Lita affair was going on, Edge's wife made public allegations that he took steroids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Eddie's autopsy indicated that he had recently used narcotic painkillers before his death. I don't believe that he was addicted to them, but the facts certainly say that he took them. I'm not saying that's a bad thign either, of course he was in a lot of pain, he was a wrestler

Edge was huge when he made his return after neck surgery if anyone remembers. That's the time that his wife said he was taking steroids. I wouldn't find that hard to believe at all. And if you remember the months following the introduction of the wellness policy, Edge noticably got a lot smaller

I've got a bit of an issue when it comes to some reporting of steroid use in wrestling. I'm completely against steroid use in athletics, cycling, boxing, etc. where it's an actual competitive sport and it can give someone an unfair advantage. But wrestling isn't an actual sport, and while I wouldn't support steroid use, it's not something that is as bad as use in actual sports. Although this story is about illegal steroids, so I'm not sure about it yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't know I think steroids should always be illegal. I was reading Lance Storm's site earlier and someone asked him that very question...
    Do you feel that steroids should be illegal or should it be a personal choice (like tattooing or body peircing)?
    A: I think they should be illegal yes. I believe they are detrimental to your health and have contributed to a lot of wrestling deaths over the years.

I see what you're saying about wrestling not being competitive like sports but I feel WWE have an obligation to protect their workers first and foremost.

I'm not sure what to make of the reports either. The doctor at the centre of it does come across as quite dodgy seeing as his license has been suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote:
    Eddie's autopsy indicated that he had recently used narcotic painkillers before his death. I don't believe that he was addicted to them, but the facts certainly say that he took them. I'm not saying that's a bad thign either, of course he was in a lot of pain, he was a wrestler

Edge was huge when he made his return after neck surgery if anyone remembers. That's the time that his wife said he was taking steroids. I wouldn't find that hard to believe at all. And if you remember the months following the introduction of the wellness policy, Edge noticably got a lot smaller

I've got a bit of an issue when it comes to some reporting of steroid use in wrestling. I'm completely against steroid use in athletics, cycling, boxing, etc. where it's an actual competitive sport and it can give someone an unfair advantage. But wrestling isn't an actual sport, and while I wouldn't support steroid use, it's not something that is as bad as use in actual sports. Although this story is about illegal steroids, so I'm not sure about it yet

I completely agree.

The Eddie issue is such an emotive one. I admire him totally for what he did to turn his life around. At the same time, wrestling isn't a simple game and once sports illustrated are factually correct (and I think they are), I have no problem with them publishing it.

Steroid use seems to be so rampant in wrestling its almost considered not a drug it seems to me. Its just something everybody takes, aside form a very small minority.

I'm not trying to say its right either. Its just a complex issue and I think everybody is implicated in it: the wrestlers who take it, Vince McMahon who really only pushes guys like super heroes and the public who by and large have shown with their wallets that they like the super hero look. No one is 100% innocent or guilty in all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Steroid use seems to be so rampant in wrestling its almost considered not a drug it seems to me. Its just something everybody takes, aside form a very small minority.

How many shows do these guys do a year? How many bumps do they take night? I can pretty much guarantee that the use of one particular substance, HGH in conjunction with IGF-1 would have gone through the roof at the time that the Attitude era first came about. All of a sudden we had that new style of more brutal match…. Chairs, ladders, guys being thrown though glass, chokeslams through the announce tables…… it all started to kick off and if you wanted to be booked high on the bill you had to be willing to do something which is, essentially, stupid.

So, your taking all these horrible bumps and your broken up and doing 4 shows a week so you need something to help you heal faster, train and still look good. In comes Human Growth Hormone. The benefits of that hormone are RIDICULOUS, plain and simple. Your stronger, bigger, leaner, you heal faster and you are, essentially, younger.

I find it hard than ANYONE can be surprised that this group of people, who only really have there jobs because of the moves they are willing to take, would turn to hormones and steroids to stay on top of the game. It's just silly to expect them to be able to do what WE the fans ask of them and what the WWE management demands of them, day in and day out.

Should steroids be illegal under general law? In my opinion , no. People should be able to get what they need to get under a doctors supervision. The problem with steroids is people don't really know what they are doing, and are forced down back alleys to get them ( at least until recently ). There is a massive difference between a COMPETITIVE sport and something like pro wrestling, plain and simple.

Let the people have there juice, let them get it legally and from the proper professionals and lets see and end to all these pointless deaths.

Either that, or tone back the sport, give the guys some ****ing rest and stop asking them to kill themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

the biggest problem with legalising steroids is that people can become hooked on them or moreso the results, and can't stop taking them, unknown to most is that over abuse of steroids causes massive liver damage and high blood pressure which can lead to heart trouble over a sustained period. the government had to ban them from a health and safety standpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I could be wrong (and Fozzy is good on the whole Wellness Program) but steroids (and some other drugs) are acceptable once they are prescribed by a valid doctor ie. not from prescription over the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I could be wrong (and Fozzy is good on the whole Wellness Program) but steroids (and some other drugs) are acceptable once they are prescribed by a valid doctor ie. not from prescription over the internet.

This does be true.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's non-medical use of steroids and prescription drugs that they have banned, so basically if you've got a proper prescription then it'd be deemed to be for medical use. All this was well before the Wellness Program was started, so WWE would hardly take any action against any wrestlers now, but apparently they did a load of tests before SD this week

I was just thinking too, no one should be surprised of any wrestler taking steroids when they keep in mind that Jamie Noble was released for taking steroids a few years back!

EDIT: Just read that Edge wrote a bit about this on his MySpace page:
    Dear Blogees (did I just create a word?)

If you are reading this blog and it sees the light of day, than that means that an article has been written by a Sports Illustrated writer that states I received HGH from a pharmacy in 2003. So, I'll cut right to the chase like I always do. It's true. However, it's not exactly breaking, earth shattering news. It's actually old news. I admitted to this on national television in Canada in 2004 on Off The Record. When host Michael Lansberg asked me if I'd ever taken steroids, without consulting me before the show, I was perturbed, but answered without hesitation, "Yes, I have."

In hindsight, I'm glad he asked the question. It got it out in the open and anyone who follows my career or supports me already knows this information about me. I won't try to defend my actions. I took them when coming back from my spinal fusion neck surgery when I was told by doctors that it would help the bones grow back around the screws and plate that were now inserted in my neck. I'm not glorifying. I'm not condoning. Just telling you why I decided to take them. I took blood tests, consulted doctors, read up, studied them, got prescriptions, and decided to do it. That's pretty much it folks, but I wanted you to get my response straight from me and not through the words of another write. Now as I'm sure most you can tell, I don't take steroids and haven't in a very long time, long before the WWE drug testing wellness policy was implemented. Hell, I barely see the inside of a gym anymore, let alone take performance enhancing substances!

So, in closing, to the columnist (not the Sports Illustrated columnist, but actually another one) who said a "roided up thing called Edge" was at the NHL ALL Star Game a few weeks ago, in 2003, this may have been true. Now, not in the least, as my random urine tests, which have always been negative will attest. I guess I'll take the fact that he thought I was as somewhat of a compliment. To the fact that I've been lucky enough to have been gifted with a 6 foot 5, 240lb body naturally. And finally made it to the top of my industry last year on my own, clean as a whistle. To those, like that columnist and any other naysayers that will hold my past against me? I've made mistakes. Will do so again in the future I'm sure. But I won't hide from them. If you're reading this, you know that's not my style.

Until next time, from everybody's favorite, clean urine,
    Edgemiester!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've seen the show Edge is talking about. It was one in which he appeared with Christian and he was asked by Landsberg if he had ever taken steroids and he admitted that he had, whereas Christian said he had never taken any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I've seen the show Edge is talking about. It was one in which he appeared with Christian and he was asked by Landsberg if he had ever taken steroids and he admitted that he had, whereas Christian said he had never taken any.

well tbh, back then Edge looked "too good to be true" - like HHH once was and plenty of other wrestlers.

I always like to use Foley's adage - "if it looks too good to be true, it usual is"

the biggest problem with legalising steroids is that people can become hooked on them or moreso the results, and can't stop taking them, unknown to most is that over abuse of steroids causes massive liver damage and high blood pressure which can lead to heart trouble over a sustained period. the government had to ban them from a health and safety standpoint.

With all due respect people can be hooked on anything. I have gone two years without drinking, but find it hard to go two days with Coca Cola. Remove the coffee from your work place and watch how people react.

People can be addicted to shopping, gambling, alchohol and of course a million other things. Should we ban EVERYTHING because some people might get addicted to it?

I don't think the adverse effects of steroids are unknown to most. If anything i think they are one of the most touted things about them these days. What is unknown to most is that steroids are simply medicines prescribed to sick people to make them better. Done under doctors supervision and with the right balance and cycle they can be perfectly healthy.

The main problem with steroids is the amount of people who will run oral cycles which are far harsher on the liver than injectablies. Why? Because with a lack of support and available info it is just easier to illegal import and take tablets.

It's a joke.

Also, i hate to break it to Edge but HGH doesn't show up in a urine test. ;) He obviously didn't study enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Dragan wrote:
    Also, i hate to break it to Edge but HGH doesn't show up in a urine test. ;) He obviously didn't study enough.

So you can study for a urine test :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Ph3n0m wrote:
    So you can study for a urine test :)

What about a dope test?? :D

I think the crucial isse about the steroids is not the fact that they are either legit or illegal, but more so the element of how those that use them are using them and how they obtain same. Steroids can and are prescribed for use for so many conditions and treatments (Well pointed out, Dragan), one would be shocked, and for very innoculous reasons. Ever have an asthma inhaler? Steriods. Heart mumour? Steroids. Bone weaknesses? Steroids. Menopause and puberty issues and fertility treatments. Some skin rashes, heart defects, muscle injuries, issues with one's lungs. Yup, steroids again.

There is no hassle getting steroids for many conditions as they are legit treatments for legit conditions; where the issues are with it being illegal is WHY they are being used, how much one is using and disbalancing natural levels of same in the body (The latter being why users of steroids are in poor health years later, it's not how mature works). Equally, there are many types of hormone being prescribed for different reasons; it isn't a case of inject, work out, look big; one still needs to go with diet and correct exercise. If it were that easy, we would inhale Ventolin and rub Excema cream all over in the gym!

As for their being good or bad for one? Rick Rude or a Dynamite Kid or Billy Graham; look at what befitted them both :( With the track record of the health of ex "roid" users, it really is a no brainer to not use them as you are f**king with your body and how it is meant to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Steroids are actually addictive as in nicotine addictive, not someone who likes coca cola, that analogy is ridiculous.
    Ever have an asthma inhaler? Steriods
    As for medicinal purposes, anabolic steroids are prescribed for far less than you intimate, it is cortico-steroids that are more commonly prescribed for medicinal reaons including asthma treatments, and you won't find many wrestlers on them as they are not performance enhancing drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Gregory Helms is the latest to respond on his myspace:
    22 Mar 2007

HELMS RESPONDS!

So, heard any good internet stories lately? :):)

Before I start I wanna say that the fans here in Mexico City are awesome! They greeted us in the airport with cheers, hugs and gifts and an enthusiasm that reminds me of just why I love perfoming so much!

Now, before I clear the air, I wanna ask a question? If you get hurt and a doctor prescribes you a medicine/drug and therapy to help you and you take it, did that become wrong somewhere? Did I miss a meeting? No need to answer because apparently the answer is yes. Apparently pro wrestlers never get hurt and if they do they aren't allowed to get treatment. So anyway, here's the story, several years ago I had hurt my knee and was advised by 2 different doctors to undergo this particular therapy. I didn't ask for it, hell, I didn't even know about it, all I knew is that I didn't want to have to have surgery. Not to mention that I would like for my life after wrestling to be as painless as possible. I won't be able to wrestle forever and I would hope that I'm entitled to the best quality of life availalbe to me when that time comes. I would like to think that it's well in my human rights to take whatever a doctor tells me to if it helps my condition and relieves my pain. Isn't that what everyone goes to a doctor for? Shane Helms committed no crime and did absolutely nothing illegal. And that is a FACT!!! Trust me, there are a million ways to get any kind of legal or illegal medicine/drug you want. However, I was under the assumption that going thru a doctor, getting treatment and therapy for a totally LEGAL medicine was the right way to go about dealing with this particular injury. And this injury that might have led to surgery had I not taken the therapy that I did. It's strange how that part of the story was conviently left out! Besides, look at me! I'm not 300 lbs of muscle, the biggest I've ever been is 215, I'm not abusing ANYTHING other that the abuse my body takes doing the job I love. Hell, I didn't even drink alcohol until I was 27.

Now I get that this "reporter" was just doing his job and was only using certain names from his list to sensationalize the article. And I guess it makes it sound more colorful to use the name Hurricane although I haven't been The Hurricane in almost 2 years now. Hell I guess this guy can pretty much get away with saying whatever he feels, I honestly don't know. I don't know him and I don't even deal with that particular Doctor anymore either. And if that Doctor did anything wrong himself, as long as it didn't involve me it shouldn't concern me or be directed towards me.

Am I making an excuse? Not at all. Making up an excuse would be admitting that I did something wrong or illegal. I did neither. I'm just a guy that has torn his body to shreds for the job he loves. And there are times that I've had to do to the hospital and get different kinds of medicines/drugs/whatever to help me heal. I'm not Wolverine, I can't heal from every injury instantaneaously. I get hurt! And I'll get hurt again. I've said a million times, I never got into wrestling for the fame or the fortune, I got into because I genuinely love it. I put 100% of my heart into it and unfortunately my body pays the price. That's not a complaint, that's simply . . . reality.

On a different note. I hope my performance this week on Smackdown this week is okay. I had one of the worst flu-bugs of my life this weekend. I was sick to a point where I couldn't get out of bed and questioned whether I'd even be able to make it to do TV this week. However, I did make it to the show. I found out that I'd be wrestling Chris Benoit and then had to make a decision, call in sick or try and tough it out. Calling in sick . . . . not my style. I vomitted a total of 3 times in the 2 hours leading up to my match and I was really just physically drained as I was standing at the curtain. I remember Johnny Ace and Dean Malenko both asking me was I ok, I shook my head yes, but my body was saying, "Wtf?" :):) Anyway, I did the match. It might not be the performance of my life, but I gave it everything I had. Not to mention, I took a knee to the head that almosted ended my night on contact! LOL Later, I got to the back, tried drinking a Gatorade, threw that up as well, threw up twice more and was finally done with the "being sick" portion of my evening. My partners in crime, the CCB, took damn good care of me. I love my friends and my world is a brighter place because of them. :) Now strangely enough but not surprisingly at all, this story didn't make any of the wrestling news websites. I guess making wrestling or wrestlers (especially me) look good is something they don't like to do much anymore, there's no "HITS" off of good news ya know? :) It boggles my mind when I think about how much exposure these "enemies of pro-wrestling" get off of pro-wrestling websites. How many years have I been on the net giving countless hours of myself to my fans? How many hosiptals and schools have I visited to help under priviledged kids and wounded soldiers? How much money have I donated to various charities for no other reason than to help. All of these things are neglected by these websites yet they all jumped on this story just to drum up attention. Makes me wonder if this BLOG will receive as many posts?

With that being said, I want to thank from the bottom of my heart all the support from my friends and family since this debacle started. My "inner circle" stays tight! Surprisingly, even the MySpace crowd has been, I'd say . . . 97% positive. I think my personality comes thru on my page and this attempt to villify me has thankfully fallen on a lot of deaf ears. To the 3% or so that have said bad things to or about me regarding this issue whether here or in some other forum, hey, it's all cool. You can't hurt me, cuz you mean nothing to me.

Thanks again to everyone that's supported me, I love you all. Now forget all this bull**** and go have some fun!

I don't see how Angle can defend himself like that, one of the steroids he received a "prescription" for hasn't been declared safe for human use. It's used mainly on horses apparently

Steroids are actually addictive as in nicotine addictive, not someone who likes coca cola, that analogy is ridiculous.

Sorry, maybe i have missed out on some new research but anabolic steroids are NOT physiologically adicitive, they are pshychologically adictive in certain subjects.

Massive.....

......difference.

As such, my analogy is perfect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement