Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justifying your Purchase?

Options
  • 19-03-2007 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

One thing I seem to notice when reading the frequent 'fanboy fights' on the message board is that, in many cases, people seem to be trying to justify their purchase (consoles cost a lot of money these days, so buying the 'wrong one' is not something they wish to contemplate) by praising the one they own and simply bashing the competitors to give them a sense of satisfaction.

This of course, is particularly prevalent in the latest console war of PS3 vs XBOX360 vs WII and I even found myself doing it to a degree when I bought a PSP and started to sneer at those who owned a DS!

I just thought it was interesting how many of us will fight tooth and nail to promote the console we own and try and slam the others with blinkered arguments.

Are we simply soldiers of the console war?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Indeed this is very true I remember being like that with my mega drive even when the ps1 was out, then eventually saw the light and got the ps1 and I was the same with the PS1, untill I saw 1st hand what a decent PC could do. Then I spent 2 years drooling till I finally got one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

This of course, is particularly prevalent in the latest console war of PS3 vs XBOX360 vs WII

Nah this has been going on since lord only knows when, Sega V Nintendo, Sega V Amiga Vs Atari, Commodore Vs Spectrum. Every sodding generation.

But unfortunatly i have only the money for one machine a generation [usually], and i tend to cast my lot with Nintendo [and sega back in the day] because they tend to make the kind of games i like to play. Heck i've never owned a sony or miscrosoft console, just because i had what i needed between whatever console i had and a PC.

Does that make me a blinkered fanboy? maybe. Do i care. Not a bit, it's only games, i play them for my own enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It helps those who buy a console at launch because, frankly, it's not like they'll have anything good to play for the next 6 months! :D

Oh, and yes, it's probably something borne deep in the human psyche: the need to say "I did, therefore I'm bloody damn right, thank you very much! Where's my tea?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Get a job get them all, then you only have to justify them to one person :D

But honey the kids can play it ,cheap HD DVD, ,cheap blu ray player used in that order.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah I see a lot of this in the console world, sad to say it happens in the PC world also, but it has more to do with the age old AMD/Intel and AMD/Nvidia debate as to which gives greater gaming performance and the holy grail of gaming which is 100+fps at max settings and res.

What I find with console gamers though is that they will bash one platform purely on the hype, without giving it a shot. Sony seems to have gotten a really bad name of late for some reason, people seem to be assuming that because they practice bad business ethicate that they obviously must create inferior products, which they don't, in fact some of my most reliable products are Sony (TV, Camera and that old old PS1 thats still running fine) I know of one friend that is not buying a PS3 because of some comic strips he read slagging it off on Penny Arcade.. .this is ludacris!

At the other end of the scale you have your individuals who just go out and buy every console released as well as a basic PC for internet, at this level I also find it ridiculous as with the amount of money they are investing in consoles, games, add on, controllers and their PC they might as well just buy a gaming PC and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

And here we go again. That gaming PC won't play the games they want to play, so your point is moot. Presumably they're buying those consoles because of the games. Too much anti-console-ism here lately.

I own a lot of consoles AND a high-spec PC (I won't go into e-peen specifics), I don't buy into the fanboyism, I don't want to be restricted by platform, each one has some awesome games. But you see it from every side, including the PC-fanboys who exhibit it in a different way (elitism towards *any* console).

Oh, and Ludacris is a rapper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

koneko wrote:
    And here we go again. That gaming PC won't play the games they want to play, so your point is moot. Presumably they're buying those consoles because of the games. Too much anti-console-ism here lately.

I own a lot of consoles AND a high-spec PC (I won't go into e-peen specifics), I don't buy into the fanboyism, I don't want to be restricted by platform, each one has some awesome games. But you see it from every side, including the PC-fanboys who exhibit it in a different way (elitism towards *any* console).

Oh, and Ludacris is a rapper :)

eh... stfu? I never said they should buy a PC, I simply made the point that it would be more cost effective to invest in a good gaming PC then to buy every console out there and a PC, and if they choose to buy only 1 console, to not base their opinions on the competition from heresay and the hype. I personally prefer PC's but i'd never presume that the gameplay of a console would be worse than a PC until i've played a few games on it. Which is why I don't know how console owners can presume they won't like games on one platform when they've never played them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

L31mr0d wrote:
    eh... stfu? I never said they should buy a PC, I simply made the point that it would be more cost effective to invest in a good gaming PC then to buy every console out there and a PC, and if they choose to buy only 1 console, to not base their opinions on the competition from heresay and the hype. I personally prefer PC's but i'd never presume that the gameplay of a console would be worse than a PC until i've played a few games on it. Which is why I don't know how console owners can presume they won't like games on one platform when they've never played them.

"STFU"? Where did that come from? Totally unnecessary.

Cost effective, perhaps, but people don't always care about that (PS3 being a good example ;) ). Some people prefer the games PCs offer, some don't. A lot of people buy consoles for specific games, so they would buy the console they need to be able to play them, sometimes that means buying several consoles. What I'm saying is that buying a PC instead won't help them, as they're buying the consoles to play those specific games.

As for console fanboys that love only their console and hate the others, I totally agree, they're completely unreasonable, and as I've no doubt said a million times, it's all about the games. Deep down I'm sure they wish they could play certain games but can't, because of their irrational aversion to the other platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

L31mr0d wrote:

What I find with console gamers though is that they will bash one platform purely on the hype, without giving it a shot. Sony seems to have gotten a really bad name of late for some reason, people seem to be assuming that because they practice bad business ethicate that they obviously must create inferior products, which they don't, in fact some of my most reliable products are Sony (TV, Camera and that old old PS1 thats still running fine) I know of one friend that is not buying a PS3 because of some comic strips he read slagging it off on Penny Arcade.. .this is ludacris!
    Yeah, I heard their portable heaters.... eh I mean laptop batteries worked fine!

[edit] add to that the PSP's screen.... it's a pixel cemetary in there[/edit]

People aren't writing off the PS3, in fact those who are voicing an opinion against the blatent bad practices or the mother company are the very ones saying that it will probably do quite well regardless. They are merely voicing thier concerns over the worrying activities of Sony, in particular towards the European market. And anyone who bases their next console purchase on a Penny Arcade strip is a retard.

Advertisement