Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone repairs

Options
  • 20-03-2007 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

i was wondering about the legality of phone repairs. i know that if a phone is faulty it can be sent off for repair and the customer is given a stand-by phone and all that. that's fine

the problem is that most places have a policy that if the repair fails the first time, they send it off 2 more times before giving a replacement.

and even then some places will try to send it off a third time and the customer will only get a new one if they force the issue

and sometimes its out of warranty at this stage and the customer gets nothing

i was wondering if a business can legally keep failing to repair your product until its out of warranty and then tell you to fook off or do they only get one chance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

If the fault was reported within warranty than it is covered until you receive a fully working unit. Shops are fully entitled to send it off for repair up to 3 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 jimmy2shoes

o2 replace your unit in store anytime within the 12 months. admitedlly this is a refurbished unit, but so's the phone you sent away for repair(when it comes back).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

This is probably a stupid question, Ive read on numerous occasions on here about this "3 times" thing and was just wondering if that is in a consumer law or something, or is it something the mobile operators came up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

chasm wrote:
    This is probably a stupid question, Ive read on numerous occasions on here about this "3 times" thing and was just wondering if that is in a consumer law or something, or is it something the mobile operators came up with?
    that is generally how its done but sometimes people don't push the issue and they keep sending it off. kind of annoys me cos its a sh*t policy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Thanks. Ive a phone in at the moment for repair(2nd time for same fault) but i dont think i will let them away with sending it away for a third time. I read on the BASIS website that :

A retailer may often offer to put things right by repairing goods which are found to be faulty. If the consumer has immediately rejected faulty goods following purchase he or she may be in a strong position to refuse to accept a repair and to insist on a full refund or replacement instead. If, on the other hand, the goods have been used for a time a repair may be all that the consumer could reasonably expect. The repair should be a permanent one which would have the effect of restoring the goods to the quality that they should have possessed when sold (allowing for wear and tear in the meantime). However, if the consumer agrees to a repair but then finds that the retailer is slow to put matters right or does not repair properly, the consumer may in some circumstances be entitled to reject the goods and claim a full refund of the price paid, even if the goods have been used for a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

if the phone goes away for repair and comes back after the year warranty is up you get another 3 months from the time you got it back

Advertisement