Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

recommend me a diesel auto

Options
  • 20-03-2007 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

im looking at changing my current car, which is a manual diesel....

im after an automatic diesel, had a look at a few mercs and heard issues re build quality and reliability etc......

can you recommend me a good diesel auto? that would be reliable ..

i was looking at merc/bmw/ audi.....
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Audi A4, but that's just me. I am looking for one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

what price range are you talking about, new or used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

sorry 36k
    would consider a petrol one as well, round 1.8........

the accord is supposed to be a pretty good diesel, not sure they do it in an auto though.

the new mondeo diesel 2.0tdci 6spd auto 130PS is priced in the uk ;16.4k ex vat. that will probably come in here around the €40K mark

the passat is another option

Audi A4 is probably a good bet also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

is it just a mid sized exec your after?

• Advertisement

dil999 wrote:
    the accord is supposed to be a pretty good diesel, not sure they do it in an auto though.

the new mondeo diesel 2.0tdci 6spd auto 130PS is priced in the uk ;16.4k ex vat. that will probably come in here around the €40K mark

the passat is another option

Audi A4 is probably a good bet also.

would i be right in saying that the max mpg you should expect (combined) for a 2.0 petrol auto is about 30 mpg?

and a 1.8 about 35mpg?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Better question: what's your budget?

As for 2.0 petrol, my MB 2.0 does 28mpg on the school run, and 35 on the open road. Not bad, and when I bought it I really wanted an E220Cdi, but I coudn't justify the extra 5k....turns out, the extra 5k would have been wasted, as I'd never recoup it, and the 2.0 is cheaper to tax, too.......

We're now looking for diesel auto's too, for a second car.........considering 320d ............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    Better question: what's your budget?

As for 2.0 petrol, my MB 2.0 does 28mpg on the school run, and 35 on the open road. Not bad, and when I bought it I really wanted an E220Cdi, but I coudn't justify the extra 5k....turns out, the extra 5k would have been wasted, as I'd never recoup it, and the 2.0 is cheaper to tax, too.......

We're now looking for diesel auto's too, for a second car.........considering 320d ............

ok heres the thing
    i have a 24 mile each way commute to work.... 5 days week.
    currently driving 06 avensis 2.0 D4D luna manual.......avg 51 mpg.

always wanted an auto.... hired an e200 classic a few mths back for a week
    and loved it.....lovely drive. i did a fuel test and worked out at costing €80 to do 400 miles .... but only did the test once... the computer was showing 38mpg on the motorway and 19mpg round town is this right?

can anyone tell me what the e200 is like overall on fuel....?
    i was looking at an 05 model e200.....how reliable are they and what issues do they have....what does a full service cost at a main dealers.....

Have a look at parkers.co.uk its an excellent site. Its good for comparing cars and spec and getting technincal details.

Multiply by about 2.2 to get ballpark irish prices inc VRT.

UK specs can be a little different so double check back on the manufactuers Irish site.

if you are doing over approx 15K miles a year a diesel will payback for itself as the fuel savings will cover the additional depreciation for a 30K vs 34K price range

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've an automatic 02 1.9 TDI Passat (130Bhp) and it's a fabulous machine.
    About €30 in diesel does me for the week (and I do a minimum of 250 miles a week).

Incidentially I drove a Merc E200 for 2 days while my own was getting serviced and I hated it :) Sure it was comfy and very quiet, but wayy too heavy and slow, steering is so light at low/city speeds as to make you wonder if it's connected to the wheels at all, and the cost in petrol would make you cringe!

Go for the Passat. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Depends on your budget,

But for around 25K you'd get a 03/04 BMW 320d (older model E46)
    6 speed manual gearbox is more common than auto, but it is possible to get an auto, some people have reported the BMW autobox can fail on high mileage cars because BMW insist that the gearbox oil should last the lifetime of the car, which is clearly false (have a look at: http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=20

for more details on that)

anyway getting back to the car, 150bhp, high 40's mpg, rear wheel drive, nice car to drive. if your getting an auto, make sure its a low mileage one and get the g/b oil changed yourself.

edit: sorry just spotted your budget, for 40K you might be able to get the newer 320d E90 163BHP, never driven the E90 320d but it should be as good as the older 320d,

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&MakeID=3&xMakeID=3&ColourID=&xColourID=&ModelID=20&xModelID=20&Doors=&BodyID=&Engine_Min=&Year_Min=&Engine_Max=&Year_Max=&Price_Min=37000&Price_Min_integer=Minimum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&CountyID=&xCountyID=&Price_Max=39000&Price_Max_integer=Maximum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&BusinessID=&xBusinessID=&IsPrivateSale=&FuelID=2&SortBy=MakeAsc&MaxRows=100&InsertPeriod=&ResultFormat=&submit=Find+%3E%3E

http://www.carsite.co.uk/used/BMW/320/320d-SE-5dr/2006/GR55RXT

or maybe a 520d if you can find a s/h one for 40?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-BMW-520D-M-SPORT-SILVER_W0QQitemZ260098435211QQcategoryZ9837QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260098435211

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

The best one I eve had was a 530d, great economy with reliability.
    You should get a 2004 one for under 40k mark depending on spec.

Redman

Advertisement