Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car shuddering at 100kmph

Options
  • 20-03-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi there.

Just want a quick piece of advice. Hoping it's as simple as I think.

I've a 00 Accent (ok no slagging. I'm an A to B car driver). It's been fine not and not given too much trouble. I regularly drive up and down the M50 and was able to do the 120km fine (but not much more).
    I got 2 new front tyres 2 Fridays back. I was on the M50 last week for the first time since and the car shudders something terrible at 100kmh (might not be the right term - it is shaking very badly and very worrying).

I want to go back and ask them to check it. Do I just explain it and let them take it from there or should I specifically ask them to check the balancing/ alignment (not sure exactly what either is).

Thanks

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It sounds to me like the wheels are not balanced properly. Take the car back to the tyre fitter and explain whats wrong - ask them to balance all four wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

get the wheel balanced properly. That should stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Does this happen only when you reach 100kph? Does it feel like it is losing power? Are the revs rising and falling? If it was happening with those symptoms at other speeds as well, I'd say it could be the exhaust recirculation system but we need more info really.

Either way, take it back, ask the garage to have someone in the car with you while you drive at 100 kph and they will have a better idea of what the problem was.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

r3nu4l wrote:
    Does this happen only when you reach 100kph? Does it feel like it is losing power? Are the revs rising and falling?

Only happens when I get to 100kph. Otherwise fine. I'll get the wheels balanced and let you know. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I got 2 new front tyres 2 Fridays back. I was on the M50 last week for the first time since and the car shudders something terrible at 100kmh

Have you check the tires ? Try shaking them to see if their in place correctly, take of the hub caps and have a look !

I had a friend driving on a wheel with one nut holding the thing on loosely, the idiot who changed the tires neglected to tighten them.

Other than that i'd say wheel balancing, seems pretty clear cut since its happened when you got new tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

used to happen to me in my old alto, whole car was vibrating, i put it down to the 993CC's of pure power!!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Was the balancing alright. Apparently the right front wheel was well off.
    (Note to self: Do not get new tyres late on a Friday afternoon again).

Thanks folks.

Advertisement