Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red. Barns. ROAD!

Options
  • 20-03-2007 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here any idea of what plans, if any, the town council of Dundalk have for resurfacing or repairing the Red Barns Road? It has to be the most badly pot-holed urban road I've seen in the whole country.

(What makes things worse, for me, of course - is the fact that I live in one of the estates just off it!)

Every time a new pot-hole forms, weeks pass, then they fill it in, only for one to form in the same spot again. The whole road needs re-surfacing. Granted, this would take ages and cause much upheaval and annoyance but it HAS to be done, and once its done it would dramatically improve the lives of local cars and their owners.

I've had car tyres destroyed by pot-holes before and it's only by the grace of God (or sheer luck) that it hasn't happened on the Red Barns Road itself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Padna

Heard on Paddy's Day that the council will be starting a major job on the Red Barns Road in 2 weeks time - including widening the road, footpaths, cycle paths. So hopefully they'll sort out the potholes when they're at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

Ive been hearing that story for 5 years Padna. It's yet to happen. There isnt even lights on most of the road. I also live just off it, it's in a shocking state, pot holes all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Definitely happening in the next few weeks. I know guy working on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Tbh, there's no point doing a resurfacing. That road needs widening so badly... it would be pointless to do anything except that. Hopefully it will actually go ahead this time, and if they had any sense, they'd get the ESB and any telecoms operators to lay infrastructure while the work is in progress. Fat chance of that ever happenning though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Have had a gripe with this bad boy for years.. Rumours have persisted for years that they are going to widen and re-surface road and add a few roadabouts. They have definately been considering this when granting planning permission along part of the road anyway. If you look at the house opposite the entrance to Manydown Close, the front wall and footpath are quite a bit back from the actual road.

Also heard a few years ago that the council already own the land so that the crazy S bend at the point road end can be straightended and that the reason for the delay is aquiring more land along the road to facilitate widening. Also heard that they are putting a roadabout at the junction of the Red Barns Rd, Point Rd and Lwr Point Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

mr_angry wrote:
    Tbh, there's no point doing a resurfacing. That road needs widening so badly... it would be pointless to do anything except that. Hopefully it will actually go ahead this time, and if they had any sense, they'd get the ESB and any telecoms operators to lay infrastructure while the work is in progress. Fat chance of that ever happenning though!
    The MAN runs along the Coe's road, so it would make sense to join up and run the fibre along there, especially considering the estate area's around there - Bay Estate / Lennonstown / Riverside etc.

That road is terrible though, I was looking to purchase a house, in that area but the road was so bad, I decided against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

Heard on the grapevine work is to begin this week. Woohooo

I'll believe it when I see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There was an article on this in the Argus this week. Work is about to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

i got the cost of an allot and tyre of the town hall after damaging it on that bloody road a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

There was an article on this in the Argus this week. Work is about to start.

Aye, I saw that article - says the development will take 18 months (!!!) Can only imagine it'll be worth it in the end but am not looking forward to a year and a half of road-works on my doorstep (I'm in Lennonstown Manor).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Laughable isn't it. 18 months to do 1.6km.

On the plus side, the new road will be "up to 1 metre wider in parts"

WOW :rolleyes:

Has this work started yet?

Not yet, no. I believe it's SUPPOSED to start early next week - although I'm still not holding my breath.

No sign of any works starting yet, unless my eyes deceived me as I drove along on Sunday :)

No, still no work beginning. It's a f&*king farce if you ask me...

A week later and still nothing...

has anyone heard anything about this beginning or are we looking at some sort of massive white elephant?

I reckon it's something they talk about every few years in order to get a budget for it or something, but they never actually do it. I remember reading and hearing about this 6 or 7 years ago, and it was also supposed to start "next week"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

They broke the ditch down into a field yesterday, I'd say for somewhere to park the heavy plant so it looks like it's starting the week before the election :rolleyes: . Bit of a cynic ain't I?

I saw that yesterday actually. Thought it was for some house building, but its obviously the start of the works. I can't believe they're about to start this, about 10 years on from when they said it would be done!

They now have a sign of the road saying "MAJOR ROAD WORKS AHEAD".

I'm half tempted to put a sign below it saying "NO, IT DOESN'T".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boardie

well a little progress, they have cleared the ditch for almost the entire length of the road and have installed temporary safety barriers at the junction with Blackrock Road while undertaking what i assume are drainage works.
    Unfortunately the roaf itself is worse, ie flooded with mucky water covering the potholes, surface worsened, construction vehicles, cones narrowing the safe(ish) driving stretch.
    Still at least its progress!! the appearance of opened fields on one side has brightened up the road somwehat too.
    Cant wait till the actual roadworks start :rolleyes:

pfft... can't wait til the actual roadworks FINISH more like! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

That mucky road is now lethal, it´s as bad as ice...

Advertisement