Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw Golf IV Problem

Options
  • 20-03-2007 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

I have a 98 vw golf mark IV for about a year now when i first got her she was going grand but now when i'm driving the battery light comes on and the car cuts out loosing all power and steering i have to pull over and start her again.I fitted new battery as i thought that was the problem but the problem still persists.Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Sounds like an altenator or loose belt causing the battery not to charge correctly. Best to get a mechanic to check it out properly and get the definite answer.
    Have you have the belts changed recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Can you describe exactly what you are doing when the car cuts out? Are you coming to a stop, is your foot on the clutch, etc, etc. It is quite possible that the battery light comes on as the engine stops. If the alternator was not charging the battery it wouldn't start up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

the alternator issue.
    If the engine stops while you are driving, check the battery terminals. One might be loose and/or not making contact properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Could it be that the revs are dropping too low? Happens to my mkIV every once in a while. All it needs is the throttle body cleaned...

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Yeah the timing belt was changed a few months ago.it does usually cut out when i'm slowing down altought it has happened while cruising along normally.

• Advertisement

my friends dad said that to me before about the throttle bodies nedding to be cleaned but he wasn't sure so that probably is the case if happened to your car aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Dirty throttle bodys are very common in VWs of that year and lead to symptoms similar to what you describe. Get it cleaned and reset and see what happens.

Cheers lads thanks for the help!!!

Advertisement