Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junk Post

Options
  • 20-03-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

getting increasingly annoyed with it, Anybody got the address I can write to to get my address off mailing lists?

Also is my local postie made aware of this ? cause he drops leaflets as do other droppers.

Would a sign on my door stating no junk mail please be of any use?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I have seen it on a number of houses lately,it cant hurt to put a sign up in door/window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

Yeah , its a start anyways

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Why not fill in any of the forms and use their freepost envelopes to send it back (where applicaable?) - that way it costs them money.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My folks put up a no junk post sign about 6 weeks ago. They have had none since.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Don't fill in the forms. That confirms your address and details opening you up for more junk. Just send back empty reply paid envelopes. That costs them and they have no more info on you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

Keep all your junk mail and put it in to your nearest an post post box. Give it back to them and let them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I just did this recently, am still getting plenty but it can take up to 40 days, info below from www.dublinwaste.ie.

The Irish Direct Marketing Association (IDMA) are able to stop junk mail from arriving at your home. There are two ways of doing this.

Firstly you can click on the link below and download the a Mail Preference Form. Simply print off this form and complete with your information.

Download: http://www.dublinwaste.ie/files/IDMA_1.pdf

Then simply send it back in the post, free of charge, to the following address:

Mailing Preference Service,
    P.O. Box 5609,
    FREEPOST,
    Dublin 4

Alternatively, or if you can not download the form, you can ring the Irish Direct Marketing Association (IDMA) directly on 01- 8304752. They will send a Mailing Preference Form out in the post and once this is completed and returned your name will be removed from their database of which serves approximately 280 companies. The MPS form only covers mail originating in Ireland.

For other companies which are not members of the IDMA or for mail originating outside of Ireland it is more difficult to put a stop to junk mail. You can write to the individual companies as they are legally obliged to respond and remove your name from their database within 40 days.

You're probably still going to need to put up a poster to keep the politicians and their buddys from bombarding you for the next few months and hand delivered flyers too...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you get any envelopes, fill them with as much paper/leaflets as possible. Pop it back in the post to them. Make them pay as much as possible.

It worked for MBNA and me. It was obvious that they'd gotten my name from the register of electors, and I hadn't consented to receiving mail from them. A few extremely heavy pre-paid envelopes later fixed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

There's one thing I've noticed with our local postie a lot lately, that being that he seems to carry a separate sack of assorted leaflets that he dishes out to each letterbox on his round....I was of the impression that he was moonlighting.
    We hardly ever get personally addressed junkmail at this address but we do get a lot of flyers and ads for local restaurants/taxis/services and the dreaded free weekend newspaper. It just all goes into my reen bin....which is my problem with the whole fact of junk mail, it's just such a waste of resources...

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

you can also ring up your local post office and ask them to stop delivering the spam. They make a small fortune on this sideline business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

If you think it's bad now just consider how much worse it will be when postcodes are introduced nationally. One of the main arguments for the introduction of postcodes identified by Comreg is that Ireland has an "under-developed" DM market by European standards. Say hello to Reader's Digest monthly newsletters and the like.

A friend of mine had a few spare bricks in his back garden from an extension he built - he use to tie these to any junk mail he'd get and drop it off at his local post office to be returned to sender - that would result in quite a hefty bill for the sender of junk mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Slice wrote:

A friend of mine had a few spare bricks in his back garden from an extension he built - he use to tie these to any junk mail he'd get and drop it off at his local post office to be returned to sender - that would result in quite a hefty bill for the sender of junk mail.

Saw a suggestion before to parcel up old phone books and send them back attached to the freepost envelope. Will be trying that soon with NTL if I get any more of their junk.

If i get any election one I was going to ring the polition in question and ask them to take back their litrature , that I have a sign on my door stating personally adressed post only please.

If you have a sign up can you threaten them for littering? even though its a joe soap that has nothing to do with them thats delivering it, surely they are acting as an agent for the party concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Unlikely, mail is delivered according to the various Post Office acts. You cannot get prosecuted for sending someone mail.

Attaching a brick to a piece of freepost mail or stuffing freepost envelopes with other junk mail could be good fun, but it could also be mail fraud. I would not advise you to do that.

I don't think postcodes will drive junkmail to that great an extent. The direct mail heyday is over. Mail volumes are declining in developed countries as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

told my postman to throw away any junk mail for me and he said he would be sacked as the bosses are far more worried about the nice earner than the people out there who dont want it

It's a nice earner for the postman too. He gets a bonus based on the volume of unaddressed mail, as I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheGrabbingHand

Smithers wrote:
    If i get any election one I was going to ring the polition in question and ask them to take back their litrature , that I have a sign on my door stating personally adressed post only please.

What I plan on doing is when they start canvassing for the next election is have a pile for each party and hand it back to them when they call to the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Unlikely, mail is delivered according to the various Post Office acts. You cannot get prosecuted for sending someone mail.

But most junk mail would not be addressed to any one individual, no?
    Attaching a brick to a piece of freepost mail or stuffing freepost envelopes with other junk mail could be good fun, but it could also be mail fraud. I would not advise you to do that.

This is a possibility I guess. However, it's unlikely any company with a regard for their own financial well-being would pursue someone for defrauding them to the value of putting a brick in the post given the costs involved and more importantly the even greater costs they'd incur if they failed.

No, it wouldn't cost them anything. They wouldn't be prosecuting you. The Post Office would.

Re unaddressed mail - well, it's still paid-for post. The postman certainly isn't going to get prosecuted, and I don't see An Post getting prosecuted either.

There may be a way to avoid unaddressed mail of this type. I'm not sure. I know there is a way in in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I had a sign on my door in Dublin saying "No Junk Mail" and my hall was still littered with all sorts of crap everyday. Mr. Postie didn't care.

• Advertisement

I will be here most days the post comes, i will look out for him and return the sh1te to him, he will get the fooking message then!

Advertisement