Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What diesel to buy??

Options
  • 20-03-2007 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Morning folks,

Slightly in a muddle over a change of car. Basically Im looking to get rid of my 1.4 petrol for a more economical diesel....purely based on MPG as I do a good few miles every other weekend. Im looking to spend between 15-20k....I have a trade in worth bout 8k, so I have about 10/11k cash.

I was looking at either a second-hand Golf TDI or an Audi A3, can you recommend another car maybe...in terms of reliability, comfort and performance?? I do like Passats but they seem rather big for my purposes...

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Audi all the way.
    Golf's seems to have some electrical problems I have heard of, but even without it can not beat the Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you go with a 1.9 / 2.0 diesel you will have to do a good bit of driving to make any real savings, as you will have to make up the difference in tax first.

I'd recommend looking at 1.6 or smaller diesels.

I understand that the 1.6 PSA unit (Citroen C5/C4; Peugeot 307; also Ford Focus) is supposed to be very good.

If you're afraid of the French cars ..the Focus should be worth a test drive at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

If you want economy, comfort, and value for money, take a look at the last of the 04 Seat Toledo Tdi's, and look for a 110bhp with the signum spec.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=550523

55mpg, all the toys (except the one picced doesnt have alloys for some reason), and go on a holiday with whatever money is left over:)

A far more attractive car than the monstrosity that replaced it..............ugh.

I'd also second Peasants suggestion on the Focus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Lots of options out there. My choice would be Mazda 3 saloon 1.6 diesel. Nice car, nice drive, reliable.
    But plenty of other options too.

Advertisement