Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Marathon Questions

• 20-03-2007 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm running the Connemarathon Half Marathon in just under a fortnight, and have a couple of questions I hope you can help out with. I've been training for a couple of months now, so I'm confident about the run, however, just to plan a little better, I have set myself two loose targets, one is to run the entire thing non-stop (I've been doing a lot of hill-training) (higher priority) and the second is to finish in under two hours (not as important).

1#: So, to meet my target of finishing in under two hours, should I divide the time by the distance and make sure that I'm consistently doing a 9 minute mile, or start more aggressively (of course not too fast), and give myself more time later on (as I tire)? I'm currently running under 8 minutes a mile, so that would offer a good bit of leeway..

2#: Given recent weather conditions, I think I may need to be prepared for low temperatures, heavy winds and potentially rain and/or snow. Can anyone recommend a weather-resistant top that is comfortable and lightweight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I wouldn't try and bank that much time myself - I'd suggest getting the course profile (I think it's on their website) and trying to run the whole thing at as even an effort (not pace) as possible.

There's a great big hill near the end of that course isn't there? So you'll need to have some time in hand for that, but if you try and bank too much time it'll mean you fade worse towards the end. It's a fine balancing act :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes, there's a big hill at the start and just before the finish (The hell of the west :eek:). I've been running a couple of circuits with larger hills for the last couple of months in preparation for these beasties..

Should I bother setting targets at all? I don't want to over-complicate the run, definitely not having a target time for each of the miles based on course profile.. More of a way to track progress during the circuit..

I have a HR monitor which I use for training (and find very useful).. Do many people use these for actual races? Perhaps I should concentrate on the heart rate and scenery instead?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

This half marathon has lots of hills so a consistent pace for each mile will not be possible. You could easily be running 10-11 minute miles uphill and 7-8 minute miles downhill. Easiest to break into 4 mile chunks, aiming to complete each 4 mile in 35 minutes. The uphills will have similar downhills over 4 miles, so you'll know after 4 miles if you're on target.

Nutrition is going to be important, so test out gels/bars or similar before the race. Would recommend eating something after about a half hour (i.e. don't wait until it's too late).

In relation to what to wear - a long sleeve top might be the way to go. I like the helly hansen ones myself (e.g. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9171). Personally I wouldn't wear a weather resistant top as unless you're buying the very best as you'll just sweat too much, losing valuable water & salts. If you'd really prefer to have something, go for something like http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6165 - I have this & although it's expensive it's very light and great for running in. Instead I would wear gloves & take a very light hat with you in case you get cold - works for me ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

personally I wou;dn't bother eating for a half marathon. If you're aiming for under 2 hours I probably wouldn't drink either but that's entirely your choice.

If you have a HRM this is the ideal race to use it in. How do you use it in training? Do you know your max HR?

A useful article is
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=176
    Keep your HR between 70% on the downhill and max of 85% going uphill and you should be fine.

As bazman said, weather resistant is probably not the best way to go because of the risk of overheating. Helly Hansen are great (though they do get smelly after a while). They will offer some warmth and they dry out quickly if we do get soaked. I'll decide closer the time what to wear but if the weather is like today I'll start off with a helly top. disposable gloves and hat and shorts. I'll probably stash a spare pair of socks in a special needs bag in case my feet get sodden along the way. Layer on the moisturiser too. It could be windy and I find it quite uncomfortable running when my face feels raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

have only been running a while myself but a fewthings that I do find for the bad weather
    1. gloves make a massive difference and if you get too hot they're not too heavy to carry round.
    2. having a peaked cap keeps the rain off your face so physcologically its not as difficult (sounds silly as yes, it is still raining, but it works!)
    3. if its lashing rain then wear shorts as otherwise you just end up with soggy leggings that feel as though they weigh a ton by the end of the race. If you're moving fast enough your legs won't get cold.
    4. For the post race make sure to have an entire change of clothes (from undies upwards) I've forgotten new shoes / socks and stuff like that in the past and there's no feeling more miserable!
    5. If you do take gels or anything make sure to test them out before hand as they can be hard to stomach at times.

oh and most important...
    6. Enjoy it!

• Advertisement

If you have a HRM this is the ideal race to use it in. How do you use it in training? Do you know your max HR?
    Hi Hunnymonster, yes I know my max, but it's through manual calculation and confirmation using the Polar watches' OwnZone function, rather than a gym, so there may be a little sway either way. I use if for recovery runs, my mid-week runs and my long runs at the weekends, to keep my pace down, but also to see where I can increase my pace. Here's the profile of my hill practice route. Shorter but much larger hills than the Connemara 1/2.

I don't think that I could comfortably complete the 13 miles without taking liquids on board, but I don't need much. A gel pack is easy to carry, and I have no problems ingesting it in training, so I reckon it's minimum grief to take one.

On the clothing, thanks for the tips all. I'll give the all-weather stuff a miss.
    I have some long sleeved Nike and Under Armour running tops that sound like they'll do the job (and that I often wear in training). I ran in that really bad weather (wind/snow) on Sunday and couldn't keep the peaked cap on my head, so I reckon I'll bring a beanie cap to Galway, just in case the wind is very strong..

Not too sure about the gloves HardyEustace.. For me, I reckon they'd be a bit of an annoyance. Thanks for the tip on the change of clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

use the armour fit myself and find it really good. Planning on wear my long sleeved armour fit for half marathon as its really warm and not too much of burden to wrap round your waist if you get too hot.

If you're moving fast enough gloves can be a pain. I just find their handy for when my knee blows up during a run and I've to hobble rather than run and thus get cold/miserable during the race rather than after.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

I'm currently running under 8 minutes a mile, so that would offer a good bit of leeway..

Krusty, if you're completing that 11.1 miles route you've mapped out in under 8 minute miles you should be able to keep that pace for another 2 miles, or close enough to that pace anyway. Under 2 hours should be easy for you, especially since you've got the hill training done.

I'll be running the Half as well but I have no hill training done. I live in the midlands where there are no hills so I've been doing longer runs to help build the stamina and prepare myself for the last climb (1.5 miles up and up?!). I've been running about 7.5 minute miles in my longer runs and hope to keep this pace all the way until the last climb where I'll surely loose a couple of minutes.

This is not really a course for fast times though, more a sight-seeing run, so if it's possible I'll be trying to enjoy the serenity of it all rather than stressing over times.

Actually, my comments were a bit misleading/inaccurate. On that profile, I'm running a 9 minute mile over the entire distance.. On flatter terrain it's an 8 minute mile..

So that would put me at a time of around 118 minutes.. :rolleyes:
    Like I said, it's no biggey.. Just hoping to have a good time, catch some great views and enjoy the day...

Clum, don't forget you have the lovely final down-hill, after breaching the top!
    Good luck on the day to you and all other Connemarathoners!

I officially start my taper today.... This is the best bit :-)

• Advertisement

I officially start my taper today.... This is the best bit :-)
    What distance are you doing hunnymonster? What kind of training will you do over the next week?

I'm doing the 39.3. I'm planning on one 15 miler and one 10 miler next week. I'll be doing a lot of cycling though, particularly this weekend. I will take next Friday and Saturday off competely.

Wow. I am in awe...

The guy who coughs and splutters his way, and digs deep into every resere he has to get through 13.1 miles is the person you should be in awe of. The woman who has done dozens of these types of stupid things is just having a nice day out. It's all relative.*

*although if you want to have a nice cup of tea waiting for me at the end I won't complain!

*although if you want to have a nice cup of tea waiting for me at the end I won't complain!
    That presupposes that I'll be finished my 13.1 miles before you finish your 40.1!

Maybe you should have the cup of tea waiting for the guy who coughs and splutters his way digging deep and using every reserve to cross the finish line. :D

:D:D:D you're on. What should I have ready for you then?

well how did it go?

Fantastic... have a great time, and a wonderful race..Finished in 1hr 50 mins, 49 seconds, so over the moon with my time too.. Weather couldn't have been better... Overall a great day.. My training hills were a lot tougher, which was a real confidence booster. Still smiling. :)

How was your race? I hope it went well and you enjoyed the weather..
    I hung about with the tea-pot and choccie bickies in hand for ages but couldn't see you. ;)

3rd place in 5:34 for me. I really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Hey Krusty that's a great time for a really tough half marathon course.

Hunnymonster I have no idea how you guys are able to pull those sort of times on a course like that, truly incredible hittling that long hill with about 4 miles left after having done more than a marathon I don't know where you get it from hats off.

• Advertisement

you're doing Ironman this year aren't you? You'll know all about how "we" do it then Damien :)

I think your advice to hold off on changing trainers until after the race was sound. I lost a toenail in Connemara but other than that my feet are perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

good job guys, sounds like a good day was had by everybody and very impressive time hunnymonster! I'd be doing very well to keep that pace up over just 26 miles of hills :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Feck that must be a tough course. :eek:

I was going to have a go at the half this year, before I busted my knee skiing. Think I might steer clear of it totally next year though if it's that kind of a course.

that was for the ultra and I'm a girl so no the course is undulating but not that tough.

Fantastic! Congratulations. :)

I'm thinking of signing up for the Achill Half-marathon now.. Has anyone done this before? Seems to be a half-marathon only event now..

I don't really do half marathons but it's a great location for a race.

How about the cork marathon?

Hmm... From half-marathon to full marathon in 2 months? Would that be too ambitious? It'd be nice to have a new challenge... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

that was for the ultra and I'm a girl so no the course is undulating but not that tough.
    Ahhh. I was getting my km's and miles mixed up there, it all makes more sense now. :o

Advertisement