Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery

Options
  • 20-03-2007 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭

Hey All

After reading through a thread on Laser Eye treatment in AH was wondering has anyone had it done here in Limerick and if so was it successful and how expensive was it.

Would just be nicer to get the work done here in Limerick than having to head up to Dublin

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

Hi Sioda,

Eye laser ireland have a consultation clinic in Limerick (O'Connell St) and the procedure are carried out on the Model farm road clinic in Cork.

I had it done just over a year ago and never looked back! My eye sight was pretty poor -5. And now i have 20-20 vision. I couldn't recommend them enough. Their website is www.eyelaserireland.com

The procedure costs about €5000. You can claim about 40% back through your tax. But believe me, it's worth it.

You can get the procedure done in Limerick, wavefront on harvey's Quay, but I don't know anything about them.

Hope this is of some help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I have been considering doing eyelaser surgery for a while now. I think it would make a huge difference to my quality of life, but am reluctant to go through with the procedure as described to me in the consultation. I am a bit squeamish about having my eyes operated on like that. Eyelaserireland.com were very impressive, and the service they offer is the best out there. If i was to do it i would go for the best, because you only get one go at getting it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

goingpostal: That sounds like a weak ad for eyelaserireland.com. If you haven't had it done, how can you know its "the best out there"? Please clarify....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Bumping this thread as I have been thinking of going ahead with the procedure. Anyone any further updates opinions on the best place to get it done. I also would prefer to get it done in Lmk.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭angryInch

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but nobody actually does it in Limerick, all they have is a clinic where they do the initial suitability test and after the operation they can do the follow up treatment there as well.
    However you have to go to Cork to get the actual surgery done.

Just wondering if anyone could give an idea on the various costs of wavefront treatment? It seams to vary quite considerably. I don't really buy all this talk about certain clinics being better tan others, if you are comparing the same treatment (LASEK vs LASEK, wavefront vs wavefront etc) they all use essentially the same machines so companies charging very high rates just just smells of rip-off.

The 2 in Limerick are Wavefront Eye Laser Clinic (Harvey's Quay) and Eye Laser Ireland (100 O'Connell). Wavefront change €100 for the initial test, but Eye Laser Ireland are free. I went to Eye Laser Ireland and it seams quite professional, they said I was suitable (-5.5 both eyes) and off the top of my head the cost was somewhere in or around 3500-400 for both eyes (although it was about 6 months ago so I could be wildly wrong on this!).

Now that I know I am suitable for the treatment I wouldn't mind going wherever I could get the best value (without going to a back-alley outfit!), be that Dublin, Cork or wherever.
    Would anyone who has done some research be able to give me an idea of the different prices in each clinic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Thanks for the info.
    It's Eye Laser that I have the consultation with and my sight is the same as yours so assuming it will cost €3500/€4000 also.
    However with tax relief the number does look prettier!

I'd also be interested however if there were cheaper options.

Anyway if I get anymore info I will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Villa82

Just had my right eye done (lased) yesterday 23rd sept 08 in the Mater Private. So far so good. Getting left eye done on 7th Oct. Any questions pop me a line ill help/inform as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Villa82

Sorry I mean "LASEK" the one with alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Yeah do go for Eye Laser Ireland they seem the best and most professional to me, i mean yeah you can get it done cheaper elsewhere but I'd prefer to pay that extra few hundred for the best possible on this island. I mean, it is your eyes at the end of the day! Eye Laser's Dublin branch is actually located in Dundrum just at the Ballaly Luas stop. I had a consultation today and I was very impressed. I previously went for consultations in Optical Express and Intralase but I think I'll go for Eye Laser Ireland. They are that bit more expensive but they actually provide 3 years post-op treatment whereas most other places only offer one year. I think the one in Limerick does all the procedures there now btw. If you're VHI, remember to claim 15% discount and you can get tax back at either 20% or 41% (only until 30 Dec) on top of that. I'm going for LASEK Wavefront CustomVue and it'll cost me €2600 in total. So it ain't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rjp123

You can get the procedure done in Limerick, wavefront on harvey's Quay, but I don't know anything about them.

Hope this is of some help

The place on Harvey's Quay in Limerick is called Wavefront Eye Laser Clinic and their website is www.wavefronteyelaserclinic.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement