Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nissan 350Z

Options
  • 20-03-2007 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Apologies if this was discussed before - Im wondering if anyone has or used to drive a Nisaan 350z coupe? Looking at getting one but still havent decided...any thoughts/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Drove one for a few days about a year ago, my thoughts were:

Incredible Power.
    Good Grip.
    For a big car it had bugger all boot space, my ole MX5 was more practicle.
    For an expensive car, it had a horribly cheap interior.
    Looks good.
    Rare.

Not sure if that will help you at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

go for a test drive, but also test drive other cars in the same category.
    You'll be suprised how different they could be, then sit down and decide for yourself.
    I have heard that 350Z are expensive to fix, but saying that, all sports cars are expensive to fix - it all depends who's fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I owned one which I sold last August - must say its a great car, looks good and great power. I had a 2004 which had around 280 bhp, but the new facelift model has closer to 300bhp. The only issues I had were (a) tyre feathering - quite common where there is uneven wear in the front tyres (b) the window on the passenger side should drop a little when you open the door - it didnt in mine (but it was a quick fix). Also if you are above 6 2" it may be a little tight as the drivers seat does not go back very far.

Overall I dont regret having had one - it put a smile on my face everytime I drove it and the sound was amazing. Had to change for practical reasons (extension to the family).

Just for info : MPG was generally 22 - 26 mpg. Servicing was around 200 - 250 euro. Tyres were expensive 300-380 euro. Tax 1343 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Would you consider an older Boxster? I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Big Balls wrote:
    Would you consider an older Boxster? I would!

I wouldn't. Rubbish hood design means frequent replacement of the window, and on early 2.5's, some potentially awful engine problems.......

The Nissan, oth, will probably never need a repair.

I agree about the cheap interior - pity, really, and the 1343 to tax it is...just.......painful.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

you might get an e46 m3 for the same money ok might be a yr or 2 older but nicer all round car with room in the back.

Yeh the M3 is a good alternative. Wipe the floor with the Nissan and the Boxster.

Big Balls wrote:
    Yeh the M3 is a good alternative. Wipe the floor with the Nissan and the Boxster.

But much more common, in both the M3 and standard guises....

It's not like you see an M3 everyday of the week either now Prospect. Plus driving experience wise, the M3 is MENTAL. You cannot even compare the other two to it.

Big Balls wrote:
    It's not like you see an M3 everyday of the week either now Prospect

That is true, but all the gobsihtes in 316's with M3 kits would put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Big Balls wrote:
    Dont want to start a tit for tat argument here, and believe me I would prefer an M3 (even after owning a 350Z) but, the m3 and the 350z did identical lap times on Top Gear, so perhaps "Wiping the floor" may be a bit strong?

Was the M3 in the wet I wonder?

Cause even with the newer 350 the M3 has nearly 40 brake more!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The M3 is also packing over 100kg more in weight than the Z.
    I'd love both cars but if it came down to a choice of one of the other I think I'd pick the 350z. I just love the look of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The RX8 put in the same time aswell!! And the M3 was in the dry. Funnily enough, the new Audi TT 2 litre turbo posted a faster time than all of them. Maybe a different stig was driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

You cant compare and early boxster with a 350 due to the engine size differences but if you compare like with like ie the 3.2 S you will see the boxster kicks its ass

350 z 3.5 V6 3d 3498 / 6 276 155 5.7 24 18
    Box 3.4 S 2d 3387 / 6 290 169 5.2 26 19

the economy is better too :O
    im sure the re-sales will be Far better
    with a 99 Boxster being the same price as a 2004 Nissan

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=570609
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=628183

i have a 98 Boxster and have not had a days problem with it , I know some [people with interstellar mileage on theirs and it never skipped a beat
    after 99 the back window was replaced with a glass one
    Cmon what would you rather tell people u have a Porsche or a Nissan !!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

roughan wrote:
    Cmon what would you rather tell people u have a Porsche or a Nissan !!!:)

Hmmm yes id rather tell people i owned a Z car over a boxter, its a porsche for people who want to say they own one and cant afford a 911.

Interestingly a friend picked up a 2004 plate 350 a few weeks ago, very nice car in the flesh, better looking than the m3 imo and just as much fun to drive.

cpoh1 wrote:
    better looking than the m3 imo and just as much fun to drive.

Beauty is in the eye and all that. I'm curious as to how much time you've spent with an M3. I have never even sat in a 350 but the M3 is just mindblowing quick are you sure it could be as good?!

The Boxster is a DAMN good car in its own right, it's nothing REMOTELY like a 911 and by and large, the people who own them know that.

Although I have seen one silver haired fox driving one with the numbers 911 in the reg. :rolleyes:

I would take the M3 over the Boxster but the facelifted 05+ S ones look great I think...

Nissan or Porsche.. hmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I spent a couple of hours with a convertible e46 m3 in the uk a year or so big balls, it was quick enough but no quicker than the 350 from the other week. Then again the convertible model is meant to be slower than the coupe. The 350 just seemed to stand out from the crowd that little bit more than the e46 and as handsome as the m3 is its starting to look a little dated i feel.

Whatever about the merits of the boxter, i dont even think its in the same league as the s2000 performance wise let alone the 350z.

Advertisement