Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace Double glazing units - rough costs?

Options
  • 20-03-2007 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Have a slated roof conservatory/sunroom which was built at the same time as my house 7 years ago. The glass was severely scraped through careless cleaning.

We're looking to replace the glass units. I understand I'll need to get a rep out to measure, quote etc but has anyone an idea what sort of price these units are? Will have to replace at least 8 units - roughly 3ft by 3ft each.

Also given that it is a conservatory and heat loss can be an issue in winter time what is the minimum spec one should be looking for when replacing?

Thanks,
    L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭leex

...and are they a big deal to fit yourself? Units are 1m squared.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi,

Is it a pvc, wood, or aluminium conservertory.

Woosen or pvc units glass sizes are rebate to rebate -6mm in the width, and 6mm in the height. New unit is put onto a 3mm spacer at he bottom to lift the unit 3 mm upwards. If you are sure all the units are the same size, take out 1 unit measure it in relation to the ope size, find the reduced size allowance. Then double check all the other units to make sure, then order.

Sales man would guarantee his measurements, so this might be a better option. The minimum spec should be a 20 mm unit, argon gas filled. You might choose a toughened unit if you have kiddies, but they are more expensive.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

To give you an idea of cost I just got a quotation to replace a broken 900mm x 1150mm double glazed unit. €230 supplied & fitted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

To give you an idea of cost I just got a quotation to replace a broken 900mm x 1150mm double glazed unit. €230 supplied & fitted.

Must be a toughened unit, and remember labour costs ect on top, but it is a diy role on pvc and timber windows. can also be done diy on aluminium

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭leex

Thanks for the replies. It is a PVC framed conservatory. Some body told mme to measure the frames from seam to seam and subtract 10mm. I guess it is only a case of removing the plastic strips then with a chisel or otherwise to replace the glass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement