Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite broadband question

Options
  • 20-03-2007 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi I'm in dire need of satellite broadband. Work from home and need some sort of broadband - eircom are no good to me, can't even get isdn my line is that bad, no line of sight for wireless - between Navan and Kells, not far from the N3 so not completely in the sticks but no joy with Net1 or Digiweb etc etc. Had Aramiska satellite before and the dish etc is still on the house.

Had Digiweb out before to get satellite but my neighbour across the road's trees are blocking their view - mind you they didn't go up the chimney or anything which in hindsight I should have asked them to do... Anyway the trees obviously didn't block the aramiska dish from seeing its satellite so it must be in a different part of the sky. Does anyone know which satellite it used and which other company might use it too?

Was going to have Mediasat come out but if they do come and can't do anythign for me it'll still be a 200 euro call-out charge which would be a kick in the teeth, so looking for alternatives... They said they use the same satellite as Digiweb but another time they told me they used the same as Aramiska so not really sure what to believe.

Are Digiweb, Mediasat and Orbitlink the only players? Yes I know satellite has latency issues etc but it's not for gaming it's for work - uploading and downloading - and anything would be better than what I have - modem plus onspeed... Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

You might want to look into 3G from the likes of 3 or Vodafone. If your not in a 3G area an external aerial might get you a signal. It's a much better option then satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The latency is a bit better than Satellite (1/5th) but reliabiliy and minimum speed much poorer.

Digiweb might have alternate satellite direction that costs more.

There are 3 or 4 different sky positions for Satellite Internet in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aislingw

Thanks. Had already checked out the coverage maps for 3G and didnt' look promising - our own O2 coverage is touch and go but will see if can get someone with Vodafone over to check it out.. Looks like will have to get on to Digiweb again or mediasat. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Do Eircom even fail lines for ISDN nowadays? That's a rarity. Is there anything someone can do about this? If your line cannot dial up at 28.8 kbps then you can demand that eircom do something about it as it would not be meeting the Functional Internet Access standard.

Digiweb Fixed Wireless might be available in your area too. It doesn't use a satellite but a mast which a small aerial points towards, a bit like Chorus MMDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

aislingw wrote:
    Thanks. Had already checked out the coverage maps for 3G and didnt' look promising - our own O2 coverage is touch and go but will see if can get someone with Vodafone over to check it out.. Looks like will have to get on to Digiweb again or mediasat. Thanks!
    you can always try them. you can bring both vodafone's and 3's back within 2 weeks if its too slow

if you don't have 3g coverage they work at gprs speeds btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

If your line cannot dial up at 28.8 kbps then you can demand that eircom do something about it as it would not be meeting the Functional Internet Access standard.

how would one go about this? getting eircom to do something..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aislingw

baby asleep on shoulder so sorry no caps

can get 28.8 on modem but no isdn - tried 5 yrs ago and something about 1050 ohms when max for isdn is 1000 ohms...? make sense? this time just told line not up to it.

Apparently:
    "1.You are on a "borrowed" pair of cables - it's called a carrier - and it means that you do not have sufficient cable pairs to enable broadband. Sometimes we can get broadband to still work if you are 3.5km or closer to a major eircom hub.
    2. Unfortunately, you are more than 7km from the nearest major eircom hub and therefore we are not able to provide broadband. "

nott sure if that reason for no isdn too...

anyway worth a try for 3g - thanks for that - will check it out :)

had digiweb out for wireless - no los. net1 no a runner either. tried eircom fwa - talk about not having a clue!! no go either! it's crap - not like i live up a mountain in kerry! less than .5 mile from new M3 - spit! they're digging up roads in navan and kells for bb but not beyond the town..

anyway thanks for suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

If you want to get digiweb satellite I am selling my satellite as I got wireless broadband.

Youll save a few hundred on equipment costs, which is great because installation, connection fee and equipment round it off to about 1000 euro.

So if you wanna save a few hundred click the link:)

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=19140&cat=500

Hope to hear from you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

aislingw wrote:

Drop me a pm with exact addy and I will look for you - are you close to Fortune Motors?

Advertisement