Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodgy petrol?

Options
  • 20-03-2007 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some opinions.

My 03 Seat Ibiza has had it's engine mgt light on for the last 1000+ miles (i don't do that much mileage)

It is the second time that the light has come on, the last time I took it back to a main Seat dealer, who told me they couldn't find a fault. The diagnostics said it was due to emmissions. They said they drove the car at high revs and used some carb cleaner. They obviously reset the light.

About 3 weeks and a few hundred miles later the light came back on .. the car was driving fine and for one reason or another I didn't bother bringing it back to the dealer.

Then the other morning the light has gone off again !!

After a bit of thinking the only thing that seems to make sense, I have moved location recently and I have been getting petrol from a local Texaco station .. no where else . it's a bit of a routine. But last week I was out and about and filled up to the brim twice in a Shell and a Maxol station. Is it possible that there could be excessive sulphur or other chemical in the Texaco petrol that is affecting sensors or indeed causing higher than normal emissions. I did notice that during the really cold parts of this winter the car had a very slight knocking noise when starting up and the engine was cold, but nothing worrying !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It could be a dodgy emissions sensor, they have been known to fault on the SEAT Ibiza. The sensor is on the front right of the engine facing the fan.

Replacement will cost around 150 euro fitted from a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Sorry .. I should have mentioned that Seat found no fault with the sensor !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I can tell you from a Skoda point of view as Skoda is sis to Seat :)...it could also be something dodgy with a rear brakelight.
    Or even on my skoda car, i noticed a slight loss of power steering, then engine management light came on, then topped up the power steering fluid and it hasn't come back on since. *touchwood*

Advertisement