Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News Feed no brainer!

Options
  • 20-03-2007 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've tried and tried again to implement this code, which I know is just example code, but should work right? The example feed is live. And I've gotten error after error after error, all relating to xml parsing I believe. At the moment its:

Warning: xpath_eval() URL="http://localhost/goa/function.xpath-eval"]function.xpath-eval[/URL: Invalid expression in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\goa\parser.php on line 30

Why might that be? I've read up a bit, and found that this kind of functionality is dodgy stuff, solutions seem to be either non-existant, or involving extensions which I'm pretty sure I've installed correctly, and mentions of recompiling php.ini. Now I'm not exactly a n00b, but right now I'm shaggin lost! So please, somebody, put me out of my misery! :(

Adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Might be an idea to post the code for parser.php. An example of the XML that's being used when you get the error would also be valuable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

parser.php simply contains the example code I linked to in my post, and the xml being used is within that sample code also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Does your PHP installation have php_domxml extension? (mentioned at the top of the page linked to).

It would be worthwhile posting your code, especially to see line 30. Maybe there is a typo somewhere.

You could also try simplify the thing e.g. start with a static XML file.
    Are you using PHP5? A user comment for xpath-new-context mentions issues wrt PHP5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Mirror wrote:
    parser.php simply contains the example code I linked to in my post, and the xml being used is within that sample code also.

:rolleyes: Good luck getting it sorted then.

Here's the code in parser.php:
    [php]<?php echo "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"iso-8859-1\"?".">"; ?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"&gt;
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><body><div id="pagecell1">
    <?php

// creating connection for MySql by passing Server,Username,Password
    $connection = mysql_connect("localhost","root","");
    mysql_select_db("test", $connection);
    //Loading xml from url stream
    $dataFile = fopen ('http://feeds.directnews.co.uk/?c21c0905-b9ca-43ee-87be-7e4308406da6','r')
    or die("Error Loading XMl");
    if ( $dataFile )
    {
    while (!feof($dataFile))
    {
    $buffer .= fgets($dataFile, 4096);
    }
    fclose($dataFile);
    }
    else
    {
    die( "fopen failed for $filename" ) ;
    }
    // Loading xml into a DOM object.
    $dom = domxml_open_mem($buffer);
    $xpc = xpath_new_context($dom);

// Selecting nodes matching node "Article" using xpath_eval command and passing it the xpath context
    $nodes = xpath_eval($xpc, "//Article/");
    // Just for debugging purposes -> print "Article found: ".count($nodes->nodeset)."<br/>";
    // For each nodes in the collection we loop through each node and retrive and save the data.
    foreach ($nodes->nodeset as $node){
    $id = $node->get_attribute("ID");
    // Just for debugging purposes -> print "ID: ".$id."<br/>";
    foreach ($node->child_nodes() as $child) {
    if ($child->node_name() == "Heading") $heading = $child->get_content();
    if ($child->node_name() == "Contents") $content = $child->get_content();
    if ($child->node_name() == "Date") $date = $child->get_content();
    }
    //replacing ' with '' for adding data to sql and stripping data and reformatting it for sql
    $content = str_replace("'", "''", $content);
    $heading = str_replace("'", "''", $heading);
    list($day, $month, $year) = split('[/]',$date);
    // Just for debugging purposes -> echo "Day : $day, Month: $month, Year: $year";
    // adding and updating the data in database, first checking if the id exist in database if it does then update the data or add an new item.
    $resultA = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM feeddata WHERE ID = '$id'");
    if(!$resultA){
    echo 'Could not run query: ' . mysql_error();
    exit;
    }
    $row = mysql_num_rows($resultA);
    if ($row == 0){
    $insert = "INSERT INTO feeddata ( ID, Content, Heading, Date) VALUES ('$id', '$content','$heading','$year-$month-$day')";
    // Just for debugging purposes -> echo $insert;
    $resultB = mysql_query ($insert , $connection);
    if (mysql_errno() == 1062) {
    echo 'could not run : '.mysql_errno();
    exit;
    }
    }
    else{
    $result = mysql_query ("UPDATE feeddata SET Content='$content', Heading='$heading', Date='$date' where ID='$id'",$connection);
    if (!$result) {
    echo 'could not run : '.mysql_errno();
    exit;
    }
    }
    }
    // Closing the connection after the all the data from the feed has been added.
    mysql_close($connection);
    ?>

</div>
    </body>[/php]

And a screenshot of my phpinfo regarding dom. I'm on an xampp installation php version 5.2.1, when I use php switch to version 4.4.5 I get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: domxml_open_mem() in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\goa\parser.php on line 26

and I couldn't for the life of me suss out the dom_xml for php4...

Also, I would start at the start and work down, but I have zero experience with php+xml!

Thanks for the responses so far :)

• Advertisement

Em, bump?

Can anyone even look at the the feed and show me how to access it on the most baic level? I'm sure I can work up from there.

Advertisement