Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dont make the same mistakes I did!!!

Options
  • 20-03-2007 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭

Failed my test cpl of weeks ago. Of all the things i was practicing and perfecting coming up to it, observation, mirrors, roundabouts, reversing etc etc, i overlooked the basics. Yes folks, what did col hol fail it on?

TURNING LEFT!!

Honestly, i felt like zoolander, was taking it too wide or something. i didnt cross the white line or anything but i didnt follow the natural curve of the kerb. Think of it like turning in an L shape instead of a half U. Got 4 blue ticks for that, automatic fail....

Also i completely forgot about the whole rules of the road section, completely slipped my mind, so i got a tick on that. I think after that i got pretty much a clear run. In fairness the guy seemed gutted that he had to fail me, when we got back to the centre he drew out a little junction on a piece of paper and showed me where i went wrong.

Anyway, if your doin the test, dont do that

If you've failed your test, what silly things did you fail on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ColHol wrote:
    If you've failed your test, what silly things did you fail on?
    I failed the motocycle test first time around for exceeding the speed limit on several occasions. My instructor had said that the testers hate slow bikers but obviously I over-compensated.

A friend was doing the C+E test. When exiting the yard he stopped the truck to allow a woman with a buggy to cross. She hesitated and he gestured for her to cross with his hand - instant failure (and he was only leaving the centre).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Failed my previous test by:

Not having my gearbox serviced in good time for the test (2 faults for grinding)
    Not using the handbrake when doing 3 point turn on cambered road. (stopped before hitting the kerb, but left my foot off the footbrake and the car rolled back, another grade 2)
    Turning right at one of those junctions with 2 traffic lanes either side and another car turning right at the same time as me. ****er decides to change his mind and go straight on, flashing me for good measure :mad:
    1 mirror check (I'm not too pushed about that one, probably didn't move my head enough).
    Failing to signal when overtaking parked cars (got double faulted 3 times, so 6 grade 2s in total). (you're not supposed to signal for every parked car, but you are supposed to for the ones you go out of your way for).

10 grade 2s and 1 grade 1 in total.

I'm happier now though as I passed my test with 2 grade 2s today :) (One for a mirror check and one for positioning turning right, I hesitated a little because there were those divided speed bumps just before the turn and I wasn't sure which one to go for).

Stark wrote:
    . ****er decides to change his mind and go straight on, flashing me for good measure
    You shouldn't be penalised for mistakes made by other drivers but you must react appropriately to those mistakes.
    Stark wrote:
    I passed my test with 2 grade 2s today
    Congratulations. :)

You shouldn't be penalised for mistakes made by other drivers but you must react appropriately to those mistakes.

Well I stopped to let him go past, but I'd already started the turn before stopping which is why I reckon I got the fault. I'd say if I'd kept going and didn't stop I would have gotten a Grade 3. Anyway, no point crying over it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I got 18 faults the 1st time 16 grade 2's and 2 grade 1's. Most of my faults were on observation, reaction to hazards (i was a passenger in a car accident 7 months before so i was visibly nervous). 4 months later i passed with 3 grade 1's and 2 grade 2's.

My main bad habits were the lack of clutch control (especially on reversing around corners),

lack of progress on roundabouts

lack of observation turning right (not an obvious one to fail on) but please look into the road on the right before turning.

Also my house mate failed 6 times, last time was on the fact he wiped the window with his hand rather than the demister (the subconscious takes over!)

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Stark wrote:

Not having my gearbox serviced in good time for the test (2 faults for grinding)

Not using the handbrake when doing 3 point turn on cambered road. (stopped before hitting the kerb, but left my foot off the footbrake and the car rolled back, another grade 2)

Thank god, I thought I was the only one. These (and others things) failed me the first time too :D

Congrats on passing the test today.
    A friend was doing the C+E test. When exiting the yard he stopped the truck to allow a woman with a buggy to cross. She hesitated and he gestured for her to cross with his hand - instant failure (and he was only leaving the centre).

I did this during my last B test, waved a guy and his kid across an estate entrance and I only got a minor fault so I still passed. Maybe the outsourced testers are more lenient?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

ColHol wrote:
    Honestly, i felt like zoolander, was taking it too wide or something. i didnt cross the white line or anything but i didnt follow the natural curve of the kerb. Think of it like turning in an L shape instead of a half U. Got 4 blue ticks for that, automatic fail....

Also i completely forgot about the whole rules of the road section, completely slipped my mind, so i got a tick on that. I think after that i got pretty much a clear run. In fairness the guy seemed gutted that he had to fail me, when we got back to the centre he drew out a little junction on a piece of paper and showed me where i went wrong.
    I didn't think you could get more than one blue tick at a time (other than if you make the same mistake more than once)

Also I'm amazed to see that so many people know/have been told where they failed. On failing my test in Ireland my grumpy examiner handed me the piece of paper with markings on it. Questioning one of my sections - progress on the straight (had 4 blues), I wanted to know whether I was too fast/slow etc., since it covers a multitude of faults. I was told more or less to f*** off and discuss it with my instructor.:mad:

Anyway had much better experience (and passed:) ) in England where the examiner will go through your faults in detail, pass or fail.

I failed my driving test twice (yes, the shame).

The first time I was very inexperienced, it was one of those "apply for the test, put myself on the parents' insurance for the summer and try and pass it" kind of things. 20 mins of driving every other week just wasn't enough. I got pre-test lessons and did progress a good bit (to the point where the instructor said I had a fair chance of passing), but ended up coming out a sheet of what looked like random Xs to me. I did get 4 in a row for hazards, which would make sense. You just don't learn good hazard awareness in 4 lessons.

The second time I did it, I was in a much stronger position. I had some experience driving on my own and a good instructor. I ended up making a balls of it on the day (I'm extremely nervous under exam conditions) but I had picked up enough to know exactly where and when I went wrong, which is a position that not many who fail their test are fortunate enough to be in.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i failed my test cos some loon in an artic truck decided on a straight road to move on to my side of the road for no reason, i slowed right down trying to see what the loon was going to do, he moved back on to his side of the road and carried on. He was about 1/2 a mile away from me. i failed because i should have come to immediate stop!! so i got a red mark, which was an instant fail and i was only out of the centre for 4 mintues and then i came around a corner and there was a fire engine in the middle of the road for a pretty serious accident and two lanes of traffic were merging into one and i hesitated trying to figure out where i was going - got an a red mark for that too - but the instructor said other then that i done great and i should pass the next time!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Stark wrote:
    I failed my driving test twice (yes, the shame).

The first time I was very inexperienced, it was one of those "apply for the test, put myself on the parents' insurance for the summer and try and pass it" kind of things. 20 mins of driving every other week just wasn't enough. I got pre-test lessons and did progress a good bit (to the point where the instructor said I had a fair chance of passing), but ended up coming out a sheet of what looked like random Xs to me. I did get 4 in a row for hazards, which would make sense. You just don't learn good hazard awareness in 4 lessons.

The second time I did it, I was in a much stronger position. I had some experience driving on my own and a good instructor. I ended up making a balls of it on the day (I'm extremely nervous under exam conditions) but I had picked up enough to know exactly where and when I went wrong, which is a position that not many who fail their test are fortunate enough to be in.
    What you mean by hazard awareness mate?

• Advertisement

Seeing what lies on the road ahead and slowing down in good time for it I'd assume. Wasn't sure why I picked up the faults at the time I did the test but I reckon in retrospect that that must have been the reason. That or the tester didn't like me ;)

irishbird wrote:
    i failed my test cos some loon in an artic truck decided on a straight road to move on to my side of the road for no reason, i slowed right down trying to see what the loon was going to do, he moved back on to his side of the road and carried on. He was about 1/2 a mile away from me. i failed because i should have come to immediate stop!! so i got a red mark, which was an instant fail and i was only out of the centre for 4 mintues and then i came around a corner and there was a fire engine in the middle of the road for a pretty serious accident and two lanes of traffic were merging into one and i hesitated trying to figure out where i was going - got an a red mark for that too - but the instructor said other then that i done great and i should pass the next time!!!!!!!!!!
    Hard luck irishbird. You have to remember that one of the most important aspects of any driving test is the ability to read the road ahead and react appropriately to any potential hazards. This sort of situation happens all the time in everyday driving and therefore it is necessary to mark it in a driving test.

The truck may have had a valid reason, which you may not have been aware of, for moving to your side of the road.

Good luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

I've failed twice :( so hopefully third time lucky.
    In the first test I was about 500 yards from returning to the test centre (and passing my test) at a junction turning turning right, there were some cars coming against me so I stopped to let the first one go. The second car was a bit behind that one and I pulled across in front of him but he was speeding in a 50k zone so I misjudged it and was nearly clipped. If the tester wasn't in the car I would have waited but I had been told that if you delay it can go against you too. I had a couple of turning right marks against me too but not enough to fail on.

The second test was just a few weeks later, different instructor who failed me on turning left (4 or 5 marks in a row).

I was annoyed at failing the first time and in fairness to the tester he was gutted for me too but I still can't figure out how I was perfect turning left in the first test and so diabolical in the second for the same thing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I remember failing my driving test on observation and reaction to hazards. Turning right in particular, as I recall, was one section that was ticked a few times.

I retook the test earlier this week and passed with 3 grade 2's and 4 or 5 grade 1's. I got a grade 1 for not knowing exactly what one of the signs meant (it was a bus lane sign, but I didn't specify that it was a 'with flow' bus lane). I got 2 grade 2's in positioning on the roundabouts, though I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I did wrong. Perhaps I clung a little too closely to the centre of the roundabout when turning right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

i failed my test on "observation turning left"

4 marks for that, the only 4 i got. was so p*ss*d off!!!

still dont know how/why i got the marks, tester refused to explain it, (as they for some reason are allowed to do) and nobody who has been in the car with me thinks it is a problem....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I broke the speed limit less than a minute into my first test.

The second time, I didn't even get as far as the road before they failed me. I had only got the car the previous evening so it had no insurance disk (I got insured over the phone) but they said "No good - fail".

The third time I didn't bother my balls even preparing for it as I was so disillusioned. I moved to Dublin and got the test for Rathgar. During my pre-test an hour before, the instructor actually screamed in fright (she was WAY too nervous for her job), which did nothing for my confidence. I passed, which was possibly the most emotional experience of my life. If it goes right it goes right.

Kadeshh wrote:
    i failed my test on "observation turning left"

4 marks for that, the only 4 i got. was so p*ss*d off!!!

still dont know how/why i got the marks, tester refused to explain it, (as they for some reason are allowed to do) and nobody who has been in the car with me thinks it is a problem....

The tester will only explain your mistakes for you if you pass.

The procedure for observation for turning left is:

In good time, check rear mirror, check passenger mirror, indicate (I don't think you have to do an over the shoulder check at that point)
    When you come to the turn, you also need to check your rear and passenger mirrors.
    Note whether the junction is a blind or open junction. A blind junction has an obstructed view on the left, right or both (don't assume because the right is clear that it's okay to go).
    If it's an open junction, scan the junction before approaching.
    If it's a blind junction, slow down to an absolute crawl or stop. Don't go round in second gear. Make sure to look both left and right before pulling out of the junction. A second look is good but don't linger too long or you might pick up a progress fault.
    If there are parked cars near the junction, you'll need to inch out. Be careful when there are parked cars on the opposite side of the road on the left, as you'll get cars overtaking them and on your side of the road when you go to turn left.

Stark wrote:

In good time, check rear mirror, check passenger mirror, indicate (I don't think you have to do an over the shoulder check at that point)
    When you come to the turn, you also need to check your rear and passenger mirrors.
    Note whether the junction is a blind or open junction. A blind junction has an obstructed view on the left, right or both (don't assume because the right is clear that it's okay to go).
    If it's an open junction, scan the junction before approaching.
    If it's a blind junction, slow down to an absolute crawl or stop. Don't go round in second gear. Make sure to look both left and right before pulling out of the junction. A second look is good but don't linger too long or you might pick up a progress fault.
    If there are parked cars near the junction, you'll need to inch out. Be careful when there are parked cars on the opposite side of the road on the left, as you'll get cars overtaking them and on your side of the road when you go to turn left.

that is exactly what i did word for word. the test before that i got a few marks for progress left for looking to much and taking my time, cant win

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Kadeshh wrote:
    cant win

I agree, my first test is next week and my instructor keeps telling me i should pass no problem barring something really unlucky but I just know i'll fail for something stupid.

I think the secret is having an instructor telling you you're going to fail beforehand :)

• Advertisement

well if its your first test i think you just have to accept beforehand that you will fail no matter what, thats the way the system works.

No it's not. The tester has no idea what test you're on when you do your test. It's just a matter of luck really and how calm you are on the day. First time is a panicky experience for most people. I was half joking when I said the secret is having someone tell you you're going to fail, but there's a little bit of truth there. I've heard plenty of "I thought I was going to fail because the instructor told me to, but then I was so relaxed thinking I had nothing to lose that I passed with no trouble" stories.

Stark wrote:
    No it's not. The tester has no idea what test you're on when you do your test. It's just a matter of luck really and how calm you are on the day. First time is a panicky experience for most people. I was half joking when I said the secret is having someone tell you you're going to fail, but there's a little bit of truth there. I've heard plenty of "I thought I was going to fail because the instructor told me to, but then I was so relaxed thinking I had nothing to lose that I passed with no trouble" stories.

I agree, first test coming next tuesday and my instructor keeps telling me I am going to pass which is really messing with my head.

Kadeshh wrote:
    well if its your first test i think you just have to accept beforehand that you will fail no matter what, thats the way the system works.
    I disagree. Many drivers fail to prepare adequately for their first test. That is why the failure rate is so high. They will have had a dose of reality by the time the second test arrives. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Stupid question from a learner, but why do you fail for letting somebody cross the road? :o

You fail for gesturing. If she had walked out and got hit by a vehicle coming from the other direction or overtaking the truck, then he would have been responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

The second test was just a few weeks later, different instructor who failed me on turning left (4 or 5 marks in a row).

I was annoyed at failing the first time and in fairness to the tester he was gutted for me too but I still can't figure out how I was perfect turning left in the first test and so diabolical in the second for the same thing :confused:

Same scene with me. I did my first test in November, hadn't been driving that long n got 13/14 grade 2s overall, maybe one for left turns, anyway it was mostly mirrors + I couple of things I cause of nerves.

Anyway sat it again today + got a rake of faults for left turns + the clutch. on both counts I'm just lost. There were some things I thought myself "could've done that better" but not those things, + last time I only got 2 G2s between those at all + my driving is well much the same as it was last time, just more fluid cause of practice!!! Grrrrr

Karyn wrote:
    Stupid question from a learner, but why do you fail for letting somebody cross the road? :o
    It is perfectly acceptable to allow someone to cross the road as long as the driver does not make any gestures to indicate that it is safe to do so. No driver should take responsibility for determining when it is safe for another to make a manoeuvre.

Nothing worse when there is someone flashing you to let you out of a junction and you just have to ignore them.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if you do have to ignore them. Most instructors I've had told me it's better to go ahead than to sit there blocking traffic. Of course, I've also had one idiot of an instructor telling me to go the second I saw the flashing lights even though the car had shown no indications of slowing down yet :rolleyes:

Advertisement