Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dont make the same mistakes I did!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Vegeta wrote:
    Nothing worse when there is someone flashing you to let you out of a junction and you just have to ignore them.
    During a test, it is perfectly acceptable to utilise an opportunity another motorist may have given provided that you make your own observations with regard to safety and that the manoeuvre itself is legal.

You are not permitted though, to make gestures to another motorist.

You can "allow" them to enter/exit/cross etc. by waiting or leaving a sufficient gap but without any gestures or signals. For example, in slow moving traffic, if a pedestrian begins to cross a road but then hesitates, the best thing to do is stop and wait to see if they wish to continue.

AFAIK it is perfectly acceptable to "thank" others with a quick raising of the hand (but no flashing headlights or hazzards).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

AFAIK it is perfectly acceptable to "thank" others with a quick raising of the hand (but no flashing headlights or hazzards).

I was told it was a Grade 2 if you wave your hand. Although the instructor who told me that wasn't the best so take it with a pinch of salt.

It's a pity they don't make the tester guidelines available to everyone. Then people wouldn't have to be totally reliant on the word of an instructor when doing their test.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Stark wrote:
    I'm not sure if you do have to ignore them. Most instructors I've had told me it's better to go ahead than to sit there blocking traffic. Of course, I've also had one idiot of an instructor telling me to go the second I saw the flashing lights even though the car had shown no indications of slowing down yet :rolleyes:

There is a very very fine balance here

It can be argued that the other motorist may be flashing someone on the street they recognise.

I would pull out if flashed/waved only on 2 conditions
    a) I was holding up traffic and not making progress
    b) flashing/waving motorist is fully stopped or slow enough that it is clear I am not cutting them off

Stark wrote:
    I was told it was a Grade 2 if you wave your hand. Although the instructor who told me that wasn't the best so take it with a pinch of salt
    It's possible that I'm confusing different categories. In the articulated truck test, many urban streets/roads are too narrow to be able to corner without utilising both sides of the road. Therefore when cars slow down/stop to allow the truck to cross over, it is acceptable to 'thank' the other driver.

I would imagine it's allowed in the car test but I'm not 100% certain. It may have changed since I did the car test.

passed my test today

3 grade 1 and that was it.

• Advertisement

Congrats :)

What did you pick up the Grade 1s for btw? I always wonder what counts as a minor enough mistake to not warrant a Grade 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Have any of ye ever passed without ANY ticks?

Have any of ye ever passed without ANY ticks?
    Under the old system it was impossible to know as they just informed the driver that they had passed.

Vegeta wrote:
    passed my test today
    Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Does anyone know if you're allowed to ask to pull over and take a few minutes break and get out and stretch your legs or something, if the pressure gets to you? I'm fine driving, have been for about five months now driving all over Connacht, but whenever my pop gets in the car with me, I start getting self conscious and start making mistakes I usually wouldn't.

wet-paint wrote:
    Does anyone know if you're allowed to ask to pull over and take a few minutes break and get out and stretch your legs or something, if the pressure gets to you?

Lol. No :)
    wet-paint wrote:
    I'm fine driving, have been for about five months now driving all over Connacht, but whenever my pop gets in the car with me, I start getting self conscious and start making mistakes I usually wouldn't.

I was the same. It's something you're going to have to get over. I tried meditating a bit while I was in the waiting room last time round and it helped me hugely.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote:
    Congrats :)

What did you pick up the Grade 1s for btw? I always wonder what counts as a minor enough mistake to not warrant a Grade 2.

Thanks, its a great relief to have it

2 for progress (roundabout and lights)

1 for position when turning right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Passed mine today with two blues and three greens. The tester made the following observation.

"You are asked to drive normally. You got marked for excessive looking around, excessive use of mirrors."

He said I checked all my mirrors seven times in 30 yards! His point being that I spent so much time looking in them I wasn't looking where I was going enough.

Be advised. :D

nipplenuts wrote:
    Passed mine today

congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's really frustrating that you have to second-guess the tester in that your parents/whatever can tell you one thing, your instructor will tell you another, and the tester will want something different. The whole system of driving/learning needs to be changed. If we all had access to the exact guidelines that the testers had to use to pass or fail us, then there'd be no confusion.

Anyways, my test is on Thursday... scary! :eek: I have 2 more lessons before it, and I'll be driving around with others as well. I've been reading the Rules of the Road for the past week too. Here's hoping I pass...!!!

Also has anybody been asked about changing the oil, wheels, etc? I went through all that stuff last night, so I can change the oil, brake fluid, radiator water, and wind-shield-wiper water. I can change the wheel too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I got asked to show where the brake fluid goes, the oil and the water. I also had to describe how to check the level. You will be asked to show the brake lights and indicators work, and where three secondary controls are (wipers, demister - that sort of thing).

Advertisement