Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a Mobile Coffee Shop/Snack Bar

Options
  • 20-03-2007 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Has anyone ever set one up? Specifically looking for info regarding Legal requirements/health board requirements?

Also, as regards placement, where have people found the best places to be? Do you have to tender the council for a pitch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Can't help you on the Health Board requirements, but I did had an idea for a catering business a while back, which I'm not going to take up, so I will share it with the board for what it's worth...

It's basically a 21st Century sandwich round, working best where you have a high density of uncatered office staff.

Print up your menus and associate a 3 digit code to each menu item. The first time someone uses the service they register their name and delivery address with you, so that it will be associated with their mobile number. Then in future they just text you the various 3 digit codes for the items they want for lunch before whatever cutoff point you decide and you deliver! A computer can be set up to receive all the texts and print them out in a usable form and there are even payment systems by mobile phone so you wouldn't even have to collect money.

Should appeal to high disposable income individuals if you do an appropriate menu and as you are supplying to order your wastage should be kept to a minimum.

I haven't done any real market research on the idea, so I can't say it will definitely work, but I can't see why not...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Basically i can only give my 2c about the Health requirements side of things, because i'm an environmental health student, legal requirements i haven't a clue of!

Basically once you comply with HACCP [Hazard Analyse Critical Control Point] and do a short course in HACCP procedures you are certified to open a food/beverage stand. You will be subject to regular inspections, so the unit in question would have to contain:

-A sink with hot running water to wash, with anti-bacterial soap
    -A refrigeration unit enclosed to look after the products requiring milk, butter etc
    -If you intend on serving hot snacks, an approved food water bath/oven to keep the food above the required 63 degrees C.
    ...These take care of your basic chill, hot and sanitary CCP's and that's all the health board expect of you, once you keep the overall unit well cleaned too.

With regards to the Health Board Requirements, i found a fairly sucessful franchise which operates in the UK & Australia on the net:
    http://www.franchisedirect.co.uk/directory/cafe2u.htm

They state that they are "the only Mobile Coffee Franchise System in the UK to meet HACCP Certification requirements. This means peace of mind for all Cafe2U customers and Franchisees." Which is good if true, because that's all your health requirements set up in one go. [British and Irish Environmental Health standards are for the most part identical with small variations which shouldn't affect a coffee stand].

Though http://www.towability.com/Site-page.htm seems to be popular too, and they supply the mobile units typically found in market's etc over here. But they are pretty basic towards the other set up and would require you to kit out the mobile dock with your own units to comply with food safety!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fightingfit

thanks for the replies all..

Anyone know where best place to pick up trailer for such purposes. Dont want one that served fast food for obvious reasons. Preferably one used to chocolate sales, doughnuts, coffee etc..

Looked in buy and sell, autotrader etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Exchange and Mart used always have a good section on that sort of stuff, although I haven't bought one in years so I don't know if they still do.

There is also a small magazine called "The Trader" (AFAIR) available in some Newsagents which would cover that sort of stuff, all UK based though...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jds2mpo

thanks for the replies all..

Anyone know where best place to pick up trailer for such purposes. Dont want one that served fast food for obvious reasons. Preferably one used to chocolate sales, doughnuts, coffee etc..

Here is a good website for <snip> that might be usefule to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement