Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tofu Tip

• 20-03-2007 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Quick tip for all you tofu lovers out there. If you go into one of those chinese food stores you can get a huge slab of tofu at half the price health food shops charge.

I go into the one on Georges St by the bus stop, and usually panic because I'm sure a 19A is going to swoop by before I've a chance to buy my tofu and go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fuildearg

thank you much for that. =)
    I will try that next time I'm in town. I plan to eat a *lot* of it. =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, its like €2.50 for about 8 blocks of tofu :) it's just a wonder what to do with it all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

can you get tofu in regular shops ie Tesco/Dunnes or is it just in health shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

kraggy wrote:
    can you get tofu in regular shops ie Tesco/Dunnes or is it just in health shops?

I know Dunnes Stores has it .. bought some before .. only used half of it .. quite nice in japanese style chilli noodle soup .. :)

thanks forbairt. how much is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'm not entirely sure of the cost ... it was 5~ weeks ago I bought it.

Probably around 3 EUR if my memory serves me correctly (which it normally doesn't) ... it was with the Pre Packed Salads and sauces in my local dunnes

If you've an evergreen or similar around I'd recommend them they usually have very cheap herbs as well

thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yeah, its like €2.50 for about 8 blocks of tofu :) it's just a wonder what to do with it all...
    Cooko it for me!

I still haven't had any I think, not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RosieRo

My local Dunnes don't have any, they're a bit pap!

I didn like it at first but now I'm addicted to it, it's the texture really because it tastes like nothing. I marinate and roast mine an awful lot or silked tofu is great for desserts and soups, it really thickens the texture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

what do you do with it apart from put it in soup. I quite like it but its hard to make it interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Cube it and put it into stir frys, currys etc.
    Scramble it, fry it with some butter and salt and put it on toast
    Make triangles out of it and marinate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RosieRo

Well with silken you can use it to thicken, like soups, cheese cake, and creamy sauces etc.

Firm tofu I have curries, use with chinese sauces (the chinese tend to fry it and then add it to their sauces) and I love marinating it (particularaly with garlic, balsamic, brown sugar and chillis) and roasting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Cut it into little cubes or strips, marinate it in good soy sauce (e.g. Kikkoman's or Tamari), chilli, garlic and vinegar, then deep fry or bake it and add it to a stir fry or just about any vegetable dish. Wicked.

You need a firm one for this treatment. The stuff the supermarkets and health food shops sell is usually a bit flimsy and falls apart when you fry it. The big blocks you get from the Asian shops are usually much more durable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ExMeath

quick meal if you have one of those electric steamers with the layers

I put the rice in the bottom layer, the tofu in a dish in the middle layer with a small jar of stirfry sauce poured over it - Wing Yip is good if you can get it - then for the last 6-8 minutes I steam broccolli florets in the top layer

excellent meal and once it's under way you're free to do something else for 20 minutes :D

I like to fry mine in spices, and then toss in some peanut butter watered down with sweet chilli and garlic sauce for the last minute.

Advertisement