Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5k to spend - What Car?

Options
  • 20-03-2007 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand car, preferably in the 1.0 - 1.2 litre range. I have 5k to spend and am also trying to keep insurance costs down. I would like to car to be at the oldest, a '01. The options which I would consider seem to be either a Ford Fiesta, Renault Clio, Peugeot 106/206, Seat Ibiza or VW Polo. Has anyone any recommendations on what would be the best buy from this range?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

On a side note I found that 1.3/1.4 engines were cheaper to insure for some reason than most of the 1.0-1.2 engine cars!! I think it has to do with more learners in the smaller cars!! I would say check the insurance on a few!!
    Micra for me with 1 year NCB was €3555 TPF&T
    1.4 Corolla with 1year NCB was €2000 TPF&T
    so it pay to look in that bracket aswell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Get a Fiesta 1.3L but make sure you get the one with power steering.
    More reliable then other brands you mentioned above.

Toyota will be the best but as jonny24ie said check with the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I highly recommend a Fiesta, but make sure its the 1.25l Zetec engine thats fitted, not the 1.3l. Sweet little car to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

Can I ask what age you were when you got this quote? I'm the grand old age of 27 so would be hoping that I'm less of a risk than I was when I was 18 - 25!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

out of what you've chosen.... polo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I shtuck me details on quinn's site.

2 years driving and 2 years no Claims with a full license on a 1.9 Octavia TDI 110BHP is 720 euro TPFT and 905 fully comp.

steve06 wrote:
    out of what you've chosen.... polo

I'm open to other suggestions also. I may have overlooked some potential options...

So the general consensus is the Fiesta? What are people's opinions on the Clio?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

dowlinj wrote:
    So the general consensus is the Fiesta? What are people's opinions on the Clio?

The Clio has always been one of Renaults better cars. They are usually better equipped too than many of their rivals. €5K should get you a 2001 model.

The best model to go for is the "Le Sport" which had electric front windows, remote control radio controls, remote central locking, alloy wheels and cd player. They are also probably the newest design of the cars you are looking at.

Here you go:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=634300

Another one to consider is the Skoda Fabia, it is basically a Polo underneath but doesn't cost as much and is generally better equipped. The smallest engine they were available in was 1.4 only up until 2003 but alot of insurance companies go by power not just engine size so it might be worth a look:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=619257

My choice would still be the Fiesta 1.25 litre:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=636524
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=599968

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I'd go for the Fabia or Clio - Fiestas are over-rated - noisy cabin, bad ride bad handling terrible interior and unless you're going for the new model just plain ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Buy a HYUNDAI, Gwan ya know ya want to

Honestly we wont think any less of you ( much :D)

<flees>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

eamon234 wrote:
    Fiestas are over-rated - noisy cabin,
    No, dont agree.
    eamon234 wrote:
    bad ride
    The exact opposite - its a very comfortable little car
    eamon234 wrote:
    bad handling
    The exact opposite - a very capable car in terms of road manners
    eamon234 wrote:
    terrible interior
    Thats a subjective observation not everyone would share
    eamon234 wrote:
    and unless you're going for the new model just plain ugly.

Have you ever driven one? or are your opinions based on what others have said?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

had a '98 1.25 ghia fiesta, absolutely crackin car - loved that yoke... pretty ugly on the outside rightly enough though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TBH for 5000 i would look at the following cars:

Toyota Corolla 1.4 VVTI (A bit more power in it than the 1.3 and a nicer car to drive for some strange reason.)
    Renault Clio
    Citroen Saxo

I wouldn't get a fiesta TBH, there is something in them that I dislike when driving them!! The older fiestas were fine but the newer ones scare me for some strange reason!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My wife has a Fiesta and I drive it sometimes. It's a grand little car and very, very reliable.
    gyppo wrote:
    I highly recommend a Fiesta, but make sure its the 1.25l Zetec engine thats fitted, not the 1.3l. Sweet little car to drive.

Thanks to all for the replies. The Fiesta definitely seems to be the popular choice. Time to get car hunting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Hang on, hang on, nobody has mentioned the seat. I had a seat Ibiza, Toledo and a Cordoba estate all great crackin' cars and cheap for parts. remember it is a volkswagon with a different badge.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

gyppo wrote:
    No, dont agree.

The exact opposite - its a very comfortable little car

The exact opposite - a very capable car in terms of road manners

Have you ever driven one? or are your opinions based on what others have said?

Yes drove one for two long years (wife bought it not me) and is all the above - worst car I have ever had - oh and by the way good luck if you ever get a flat tyre - bloody spare clamped underneath the car very awkward to remove and replace in a hurry and spare can also be damaged very easily as is open to the elements
    Fiestas of this age also prone to steering problems as well as various electrical problems - heater and central locking especially

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Another vote for the Fiesta camp.

Girlfriend has a 1996 1.25, and I often drive it. It is damn lively, and good fun to drive. it is a little cramped, but it is a small car. It has never given a days trouble either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Cant go wrong with the Seat Ibiza, My ex had one and couldnt fault it, they are made by Volkswagen and parts are cheap. Dont trust the mileage if you are buying from most dealers unless you know someone thats working there well. A good mechanic will tell you whether the mileage is near genuine or not by tell tail signs in and around the car. Ask for a full service history if possible.

• Advertisement

Bradidup wrote:
    they are made by Volkswagen and parts are cheap

Not exactly true but not too far wrong, the Ibiza is made in Spain by Seat who are ownd by VAG and uses VW parts, engines and other VW running gear just like Skoda and Audi do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

bazz26 wrote:
    Not exactly true but not too far wrong, the Ibiza is made in Spain by Seat who are ownd by VAG and uses VW parts, engines and other VW running gear just like Skoda and Audi do.

I would consider them as close to the same high standard as VW cars, and very much underestimated compaired to whats out there. They wouldnt hold the value as much as the VW or Jap but I would consider them a better buy than Fiat.

Indeed. And interesting enough they generally tend to give less trouble than the VWs they are based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@OP, you haven't really stated what is important to you except to keep insurance down

If you're a keen driver and would like a well handling, even sporty, drivers' car, I'd also recommend the Fiesta 1.25. If top of your priority is to minimise costs and to have the greatest reliability, a Nissan Micra 1.0 would be an alternative

unkel wrote:
    @OP, you haven't really stated what is important to you except to keep insurance down

If you're a keen driver and would like a well handling, even sporty, drivers' car, I'd also recommend the Fiesta 1.25. If top of your priority is to minimise costs and to have the greatest reliability, a Nissan Micra 1.0 would be an alternative

Well, I'm only on a provisional licence so that's why I'm looking for a low powered car. Don't fancy paying through the nose for insurance. I'm not too fussy about what car, but I know what I like and and a Micra wouldn't be top of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,769 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dowlinj wrote:
    Well, I'm only on a provisional licence so that's why I'm looking for a low powered car. Don't fancy paying through the nose for insurance. I'm not too fussy about what car, but I know what I like and and a Micra wouldn't be top of my list.
    How about a Mazda 323f?

I have a 97 version, 1.5L engine, nice and powerful, for the money being, and they are relitively cheap too - could easily get one within your budget. Insurance on it, on provisional (as it is my first car) was €2200 fully comp, think i was offered €1800 third party (Quinn Direct). I think it's a nice car, and insurance was less then i thought it was going to be. I think Gary the Great got it as a first car too, so he might be able to back me up a bit too.

Advertisement