Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New xbox 360 revision semi-confirmed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

On the old "dirty disc" phenomenon,

I remember I was unfortunate enough to purchase a 1st gen xbox with a thompson drive, go figure!

I think my problems started around the time I got ninja Gaiden (in fact, its only since getting a 360 Ive been able to enjoy ninja gaiden without having to cross my fingers each time I played, an extremely difficult skill).

I wonder is something similar happening with the 360? How can manufacturers justify this hardware redundancy? We have a 7 year old panasonic DVD player, never given a days trouble, a dead PS2 thanks to their own "fast burning lasers" that die after 4 years and a dead 5 year old xbox with thompson drive.

I reckon if I pulled my old NES out of the attic it would boot mario bros and duck hunt fine.

At this rate, by 2020 we will have a new xbox model every 3 months, the xbox will be sold in pieces like those magazines that let you build a rally car or a dinosaur week-by-week, with each issue costing about 200 euro and the parts will disintegrate if exposed to air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    I reckon if I pulled my old NES out of the attic it would boot mario bros and duck hunt fine.

The important difference there, though, is that the NES has no moving parts, so should really be expected to last much longer than something that does, with the friction and wear and tear that moving parts will have. The 360 has the noisy god damn dvd drive spinning away all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

True, but the NES was still subjected to nasty mechanical forces upon the insertion of cartridges. The zero insertion force system as it was called, was certainly not and the contact pins were prone to bending under repeated stress [wikipedia]

EDIT: A mechanical spring is still a moving part :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Anyone else think the silver tray completely takes the look off it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

No i think it looks quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

This has been all over the net... When i see microsoft talking about it i'll believe it....

Originally Posted by ENGADGET
    * The Elite will be limited quantities only; that may be as much or as little as a couple hundred thousand.
    * The case, controller, and Live headset will all be black. It will have all new packaging.
    * Elite will cost $479, and will be a 3rd SKU; it will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.
    * Eventually Elite hardware (in white plastics) will take the role of the Xbox Premium. That is to say, after the Elite is launched and sold out, future Xbox Premiums will have 120GB / HDMI.
    * We do not yet know exactly when 120GB / HDMI will become the standard for Premium, but it is loosely estimated to be late summer or fall.
    * Elite models run cooler than normal 360s, but they are not yet confirmed to have 65nm chips.
    * Prices may remain the same with the 120GB / HDMI hardware upgrade in the Premium Xbox, but we may still see a price cut on the line when 65nm chips start shipping.
    * The HD DVD drive will not be internal or bundled -- Microsoft never did or nor does not currently have plans to put an HD DVD drive in the 360.
    * There are no current plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premiums (although that can always change).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

MS are set to make a HUGE official announcement today, might be the new machine or could be something else.

Id say if its true it'll be announced today/tomorrow to try n take away from that thing Sony r releasing... Whats it called again??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

hmmm....confirm the rumour, deny the rumour, update to support more codecs, a web browser like the wii\ps3, xbox portable....theres quite a lot on the list of speculation lately.

oh look even more rumoured conformations
    Ars Technica's Opposable Thumbs has the scoop on a data transfer cable that will ship with the new Xbox 360 Elite Edition (codenamed Zephyr) that will let you transfer data from your Xbox 360 Premium hard drive to the new one. An insider told Ars Technica:

I work for a large game distributor. MS disclosed this SKU to us a few weeks ago—definitely not a fake story. Price, features, color are all correct. MS has told us that the data will be transferred via some sort of cable that will be included with the unit. The cable will also be included w/ the 120GB drive that will be sold separately (price TBD).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

unklerosco wrote:
    Id say if its true it'll be announced today/tomorrow to try n take away from that thing Sony r releasing... Whats it called again??
    i dunno, something with a boomerang controller or something? :D
    all i ask from the 360 revision is pretty simple, and should have been there in the original, and thats BETTER BUILD QUALITY. No more lock ups playing GRAW2 MS, please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Poopstation 3!

Seriously though, I haven't heard anything about any MS announcements, but if there is one, it'll be either this or another "X game will be on 360 too" (or exclusive).

Looks like they just took that from the other sites...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Microsoft spokesperson has said there will be a big announcement this coming wednesday.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/games/microsoft-keeps-quiet-on-xbox-elite/2007/03/26/1174761330614.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

There's pictures of the system in a Chinese factory taken in February floating around the web at the moment:

426e3f4830bafea0ddb219frj2.jpg

40d11d8cb3768cbb0952e05gp1.jpg

I hope they announce it for Europe, and that it will launch soon. I'm holding off on my 360 purchase for this. I REALLY hope that the internals are revised too, so it runs more reliably and quietly.

IN YOUR FACE SONY :p

I love being right, can't wait to get one of these babies:D

Wonder would Microsoft do a deal with game stores and let you trade in your old 360 and let u get this new console cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

hellboy99 wrote:
    Wonder would Microsoft do a deal with game stores and let you trade in your old 360 and let u get this new console cheaper.

It'd be great if they did, but I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

tbh, im tihnkin that MS has releases this one with all the fancy new features, but with also some extra anti-modding solutions built in so as to make it 99.9% or even 100% un-moddable. With the HDMI and bigger HDD and all the rest, it'll almost certainly make ppl purchase the unmoddable version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Clank wrote:
    It'd be great if they did, but I seriously doubt it.
    probably wont do you a special deal, but ill stil try and trade in my premium pack for an elite. My premium is on its last legs i think, and i want something that hopefully, wont crap out on my every 2 minutes while palying graw 2 :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

KTRIC wrote:

Were did you hear the info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

KTRIC wrote:

Didn't you just sell your xbox 360?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

KTRIC wrote:

Considering that Sony included HDMI to start off with, i'm not sure the joke is entirely on them........

Julez wrote:
    Didn't you just sell your xbox 360?

Yep, I sure did. Can you figure out why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

KTRIC wrote:
    Yep, I sure did. Can you figure out why ?

wasn't it because you owned about 50 million of them and had to get repairs or something ?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

So Major Nelson said on his twitter account (is this the new bebo?) while everyone was waiting for xbl to come back that he has a very big announcement tommorow.

It'll big and black....and hopefully quiet :)

Here's the "BIG" news from australia....
    AMONG the hype and the rush for PlayStation 3 consoles, Australia passed a significant gaming milestone last Friday.

The first next-generation game console, Xbox 360, turned one year old.
    But rather than compete for attention with its new rival, Microsoft decided to wait until tomorrow to launch its birthday addition, the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player.

This accessory gives Xbox 360 users the option to upgrade their machine so they don't miss out on any aspect of the the high-definition revolution.

It will also put the Xbox 360 on a level playing field with PlayStation 3, as both will play high-definition DVDs, albeit in competing formats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

release date April 29 in the USA

Advertisement