Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling in new Bathroom ( Are they ok? )

Options
  • 20-03-2007 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi,

I have tiling in a new apartment I just bought. Trying to complete the snag list at the moment. The Shower unit is in a corner and has tiling from the ceiling to the tray unit.

Now the problem is the last row of tiles along the tray unit are slanted away from the wall. It seems to me that they should be flush all the way down and not jutting out. The builder says it is supposed to be this way because of a "lip" on the tray unit that the tiles must go over. Is he right?

Here's a little scribble of what I mean. Imagine it as a profile view.

|
    |
    |
    |
    \________ <-Slanty Tile
    _________|

I can't imagine that if I fit a shower unit onto this that it will fit ok against the tiles as there would be a large gap running up the length of the wall because of the last tile stopping the whole unit from sitting against the tiles above?

Does anyone know if I should persist on this with the builder and get them to solve the issue. They got fairly Agro today when I asked for it to be sorted.

Thanks for any hellp,

V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I don't fit those plastic seals to showers because they:
    1. cause the tiles to slope out as you say,
    2. don't stop the water escaping longer term.

My solution is to pack the space between the shower and the wall with silicone, then tile as normal but I dont grout between the bottom tile and the shower tray. I use silicone on this space. I looks like it's grouted but its far more water resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

Avns1s wrote:
    I don't fit those plastic seals to showers because they:
    1. cause the tiles to slope out as you say,
    2. don't stop the water escaping longer term.

My solution is to pack the space between the shower and the wall with silicone, then tile as normal but I dont grout between the bottom tile and the shower tray. I use silicone on this space. I looks like it's grouted but its far more water resistant.

So the sloped tiling, is it going to cause me major problems? I really dont mind the asthetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Avns1s wrote:
    Good call.
    Trays seem to drop over time when supported on wooden plinths. Anything up to 5mm!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

ViDuchie,

Your builder is right about the lip on the edges of the shower tray, but a properly fitted shower tray should have this lip recessed back into the wall or slab.
    Even so, if the cavity/ space behind the 'slanted' tile is properly sealed with silicone, most tilers will just go ahead and attach the tiles. Chances of you experiencing leaks in the future are slim enough, but you could always have the builders snagger remove one tile to check the seal. Its a simple enough job to replace the tile and then everyones mind would be at rest!

Hope this helps

Advertisement