Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to upgrade memory - confused about what to go for

Options
  • 20-03-2007 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Hi, I want to upgrade the memory in my system from 1gig to 2 gigs but I'm confused about compatability issues.

I have a Shuttle SB81P, and according to Komplett's handy little Memory walkthrough thingy, one of the products compatable with my PC is here:
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306537&cks=CMS

I'd need to buy two of those to get the 2gigs.

I'm confused though because the memory that I already have in the system used to be of the DDR-DIMM PC4000 category (its not listed any more), while the above recommended is in the DDR-DIMM PC2700.

Looking in the PC4000 category I see this set: https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=312362 which is a set of two 1gig sticks.

Should I go for this? Will it run in my system? Why wouldn't it come up in Komplett's compatability walkthrough if its in the same category as my existing memory which works fine?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

PC3200 = DDR400 which is the correct type of RAM why Komplett insist on labelling them with the PCxxxx is beyond me.

If your system already has 1GB of RAM I assume this is split into 2x512MB modules ?

Also does your motherboard have more than two slots ? (Edit: having looked at Shuttle's site for your model it does have only two slots)

If the answer is no to the last question then you have no choice but to replace the existing RAM altogether, this 2GB pack is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

thanks for the reply. Yes, as you saw from the Shuttle specs, i've just got the two slots, currently occuppied by 2 512 modules. I knew I'd have to replace the RAM entirely.

My current memory is http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=120859.

To be honest Im not familiar at all with RAM terminology, DDR, DIMM, PCxxx numbers and what they signify. Whats the difference (in terms of performance & compatability with my Shuttle model) between the product you suggested and the twin pack I had been looking at?

There's no product information available for the item you suggested - is it 184 pin? I assume that's all my system can take.

Apologies, my ignorance in this is indeed colossal. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The PCxxxx is just another way of describing the RAM but most people use the DDR terminology instead.

The kit I picked out is standard DDR 400 RAM and pretty good value for money.

The kit you linked to is overclockers RAM rated up to DDR 500 an unofficial standard that is not used outside of overclocking. Your CPU & motherboard at stock speeds only work up to DDR 400.

If you have no plans on overclocking then I suggest going with the Twinmos 2GB pack I linked to instead & save your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Thanks for the help i've ordered the twin pack you suggested.

Advertisement