Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery misteriously discharged

Options
  • 20-03-2007 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

We went out to start the car last week and the battery was dead. No lights or anything were left on. We jump started it and it was fine until today (it was used a few times since jump starting it last week) when we went out to use it. Its just dead again.

Its an 02 car and the battery looks to be in very good condition. The lights definitely were not left on. Is there anything else that could have sucked the life out of my battery or is just time to replace?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

The battery might look ok but you don't know how old it is. If it's more than 2-3 years you need a new one. Batteries also losses it's power if they go flat.

Also get your alternator checked and make sure is charging the right amount like 14.5V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Check the water level ?

How can a battery "Look Good" as in clean ?

If its never been changed ... its 2007 now man ... 5 years old ... its at its live expectancy like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Think I may be experiencing the same myself. Whats the rough cost of a replacement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

About 50 - 60 quid afaik

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

5 years seems about right for replacing car battery, Your lucky its not a motorbike!!! had to replace a year old battery in a bike because it was left lying up over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Right I changed it and its working fine for now. (touch wood).

How do I dispose of the old one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Very often, cold weather can "kill off" a battery that's on its last legs.

As for disposal, a lot of county council "return" centres will accept batteries.
    Failing that, ask your local garage if they'll take it off your hands.

M.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Theres a factors in dunlaoghaire off kill avenue with a skip outside for old batteries. I think if you buy a new battery they are obliged to take the old one from you, in the States you are charged extra if you dont have an old one (core charge)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

junii wrote:

How do I dispose of the old one?

Your Local Authority should be able to tell you where you can dispose of it. I know the civic amenity in Ballymount (Dublin 12) will take them for free.

http://environment.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=129

Advertisement