Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to measure the distance cycled

Options
  • 20-03-2007 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

I've just started doing long (for me, anyway!) cycles around my area and I'm looking for a way to measure the distance that I've been cycling. I've tried the journey planner on the DTO website but it's very difficult to put in the exact route that I'm taking. Does anyone know of any other websites that can measure the distance travelled?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

There are all sorts of google maps applications that do it. For example
    http://www.webwalking.com/googlemap.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Get a Puter for your Bike i would REC a cateye Version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

A cycle computer is the answer. They can be bought cheaply, despite the name.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

another google maps based one that is pretty good is:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

I think this was the first and imo the best..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Thanks for all the info lads. I'm a bit broke (did I say a bit? I meant to say 'exceptionally') so buying a bike computer isn't an option at the moment unfortunately, despite their relative cheapness.

The site that copacetic recommended worked really well;it was great to see how much I'm actually cycling (10km apparently, which isn't a lot to most of you but I was pretty pleased with!). I wasn't able to open the one that hunnymonster mentioned because of this slightly old and feeble laptop, but I'll check that out again.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Laika wrote:
    Thanks for all the info lads. I'm a bit broke (did I say a bit? I meant to say 'exceptionally') so buying a bike computer isn't an option at the moment unfortunately, despite their relative cheapness.

The site that copacetic recommended worked really well;it was great to see how much I'm actually cycling (10km apparently, which isn't a lot to most of you but I was pretty pleased with!). I wasn't able to open the one that hunnymonster mentioned because of this slightly old and feeble laptop, but I'll check that out again.

10k is fine for starting out, try to keep it up a few evenings a week and gradually build up the time. Try to get out for a bit longer, maybe a couple of hours at the weekends.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I use Route Slip. Handy for calculating distances, but also does elevation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Copacetic's is the best one. It bizarrly wasn't on the first page of my google and I didn't have time to go look some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Laika wrote:
    Argos have one for only a tenner.
    One thing to bear in mind is hills, it is much more gruelling (for me anyway) to do a hilly 5 miles, even if half it is freewheeling.

Also I find it more enjoyable, or more of an incentive to cycle with a purpose. i.e. I cycle to a far off butchers on saturdays. cycle to work, & to the pub/shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

One tip - cycle an out and back route, not a circular route / laps. The temptation on a circular route or laps is to take a short cut home, or cut the number of laps. If you go out to a point, you have only one option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kincsem wrote:
    One tip - cycle an out and back route, not a circular route / laps. The temptation on a circular route or laps is to take a short cut home, or cut the number of laps. If you go out to a point, you have only one option.
    A circular route is far less boring unless there you are going to somewhere interesting. If you want to add distance, take a trip down a side road for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Download Google earth and use the path tool
    That way you get to see the whole journey as well...

Advertisement