Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipper Vinegar

• 20-03-2007 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the difference is between chipper vinegar and ordinary vinegar? If there is any at all? In lots of chippers you see bottles of vinegar for sale behind the counter. Is it bog standard vinegar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

i think its just that its usually served on dirty greasy chipper chips in a paper bag along with loads of salt that makes it seem soooo yummy. the sort of thing you cant not like:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

When Heston Blumenthal was doing his "Perfect" Fish & Chips, he mentioned at the end that the aromatised smell of pickled egg (or onion?) vinegar, simply from the jar, was completely reminiscent of a chipper. So if regular malt vinegar doesn't cut the mustard for you, you could give that a shot, or for fun make your own flavoured vinegars, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

When Heston Blumenthal was doing his "Perfect" Fish & Chips, he mentioned at the end that the aromatised smell of pickled egg (or onion?) vinegar, simply from the jar, was completely reminiscent of a chipper. So if regular malt vinegar doesn't cut the mustard for you, you could give that a shot, or for fun make your own flavoured vinegars, too.

I find the malt vineger (Sarsons) hits the spot more than the white. Love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

As far as I remember, vinegar in chippers isn't ctually vinegar but brewer's condiment. But then I'm not really sure what the hell brewer's condiment is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

It's Plain White Vinegar.

Come's I large 5 liter Bottles.

P.s Malted vinegar is too expensive for chippers.

Average Chipper Goes through 40 liters of vinegar a week.

(Worked in a High Class Chipper before) :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

It's Pickled Onion ^^,

and it works wonders..

try Vodka n basil Atomizer on pizza?

its Amazing! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not all chippers will be the same, so expect some very different stories. I heard some brew their own, you can get "mother of vinegar", to turn beer or wine into vinegar. I saw them mixing 2 liquids in burdocks when bottling it, they used to sell their and it was really nice. I have used leftover pickle vinegar from gherkins and onions before, mixing with stronger vinegar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the difference is between chipper vinegar and ordinary vinegar? If there is any at all? In lots of chippers you see bottles of vinegar for sale behind the counter. Is it bog standard vinegar?
    lots of chippers make their own Vinegar: acid,water and browing sauce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jamfan

Burdock's sell bottles of their vinegar for €1.60 or you can get a bottle free with an order over €20. Got me a bottle a couple of weeks back! :-)

Are ye sure that chipper vinagar is the same as standard stuff you can get in the shops? I have another bottle (unlabelled and filled by the chipper) that I bought from my local Italian and that vinegar doesn't taste like Chef or Sarsons or the other ones you can buy in the supermarket. There are a couple of different schools of thought:

Plain white vinegar, as oppsed to malted. What brand would that be?

Pickled onion vinegar

Acid, water and browing sauce. What's that?

Another question for anyone in the know: what are chipper chips fried in that gives them that AWESOME taste? I reckon it's some sort of animal fat or dripping or something... anyone know for sure?

Maybe we need an insider here... or was it all revealed in 'The Van'? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Kerikosan wrote: »
    It's Pickled Onion
    Not quite - it's the pickling liquid from the jar of pickled onions (p.232 or so in In Search of Perfection :D ). Dumped into an atomiser and sprayed on the chips (or about the room).

• Advertisement
Advertisement