Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ferry to Uk options

Options
  • 20-03-2007 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Im bringing my car over to the UK for a couple of months, whats the options for croissing the water?

I checked stena from dun loaire and was a bit surprised by how expensive it is (160euro for one way), so i just want to know are there any other options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

That's because it's the HSS and you're coming into the shoulder season, travel-wise. The HSS and Swift are usually dearer than the slow ferry.

Have you tried Irish Ferries from Dublin Port, it should be cheaper on the Ulysses or either of the companies' ferries from Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Norfolk line are dirt cheap, never used them myself and it takes 8 hours!!

But as I say dirt cheap some offers as loa 89e return to the Pool.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The only problem with the cheaper bigger ferries is that because they are slower, you tend to spend more on them. Most of the time you're better off paying extra for a faster and hassle free crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How the hell do they stretch the trip to Liverpool to 8 hours? Do they just give it a big shove at the port and let it drift over?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Liverpool is almost twice as far as Holyhead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm going in mid May (for a classic car event around the lake district). I've used them before and the service is fine.

Overnight both ways, and includes dinner, B&B with private cabins & showers. Food and bar are good.

€327 incl. for car and 2 pax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Slow coach wrote:
    Liverpool is almost twice as far as Holyhead.

Dublin to Holyhead ~ 70 miles
    Dublin to Liverpool ~ 140 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I used norfolk lines and save myself the guts of 350e compared to others. Sure it took a bit under 7hours but i had the day off work so i wasnt going anywhere in a hurry. You get lunch etc and theres no point in getting a cabin as if you ask nicely once you start moving they'l give you one anyway. Really clean boat and probably the best ferry experience iv had!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The only thing about those HSS craft is that they get cancelled if someone sneezes. Any sort of strong wind and they are cancelled. I've been bumped back to the slow ferry a few times because of this.

It depends on where in the UK you are going - but if you are heading to any northern area then give some consideration to the Larne- Stranraer crossing - I used it for the first time last year and found it quite good.

EDIT : P&O Irish Sea do a service to Mostyn which can be quite cheap (not sure if they still do) but check it out www.poirishsea.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Thanks for the links and info lads. i'll be driving down to London, so i reckon holyhead would be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

testicle wrote:
    Dublin to Holyhead ~ 70 miles
    Dublin to Liverpool ~ 140 miles

That's what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

lol ye think 160 is bad? Had to fork out 680 on the weekend (Towing a heavy load though)

I love Irish Ferries, always depart on time, never had any hassle with changing times etc.... 2 hours from Dublin to Holyhead (Swift)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Maybe Michael O Leary might get get into this business and do us some favors.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,766 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bradidup wrote:
    Maybe Michael O Leary might get get into this business and do us some favors.
    and charge you for each bag you have in the car, and extra if you don't want to just sit in the car all the way over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tauren wrote:
    and charge you for each bag you have in the car, and extra if you don't want to just sit in the car all the way over.

Yeah and change the Irish crews out for dirt cheap foreign nationals helping to make record profits for the company, oh wait, that's Irish Ferries... Maybe O'Leary could learn from them?

Do ferrys book like flights?

The earlier you book the cheaper they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Anyone had to change a car details, or a passenger name with a ferry company, after booking, before?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

testicle wrote:
    Anyone had to change a car details, or a passenger name with a ferry company, after booking, before?
    I've had to 'delete' a passenger once on a Stenaline ferry. Went OK, except I had to phone instead of just doing it over the net, and I even got a refund!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Tauren wrote:

Air bag??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

crosstownk wrote:

EDIT : P&O Irish Sea do a service to Mostyn which can be quite cheap (not sure if they still do) but check it out www.poirishsea.com

Service has been withdrawn.

testicle wrote:

Yes, I nearly *always* have to amend my ferry times, never been a problem, just phone before you get to the terminal

Do ferrys book like flights?

The earlier you book the cheaper they are?

Yeah, definately the case with Irish Ferries anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Larne Cairnryan ftw! :D

Prices seem to be fixed on this route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

JohnCleary wrote:
    Yes, I nearly *always* have to amend my ferry times, never been a problem, just phone before you get to the terminal
    Depending on the type of fare you booked, there may be a hefty change fee involved.

Anyone know if Pembroke would be closer to London than Holyhead?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Larne Cairnryan ftw! :D

Prices seem to be fixed on this route.

Wheres this depart from and where is Larne Cairnryanm (sounds Wlesh!), what line and how much?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Pembroke - London would probably be quicker than from Holyhead. Easy peasy to navigate too, a short section of A road and then M4 over the Severn Bridge all the way to London.

Larne is in Norn Iron, north of Belfast. Cairnryan is in Scotland. Another similar route is Belfast - Stranraer. Stranraer and Cairnryan are practically next to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cairnryan is just north of Stranraer in Scotland. P&O Irish Sea operate this sailing.

I've often ammended car details with Irish Ferries, Stena and P&O North Sea - all at no charge.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    Depending on the type of fare you booked, there may be a hefty change fee involved.

Never happened to me and I've nearly always had to amend my ferry bookings

Advertisement