Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ferry to Uk options

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Anyone know if Pembroke would be closer to London than Holyhead?

Pembroke is closer, but Holyhead is Motorway/HQDC all the way. South Wales roads are utter sh1te. Time is about the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Suppose i'll just take the dublin holyhead 150euro route, didnt think it was going to be that expensive. Might not take the car now as i'll just have to bring it back in a few weeks and pay the same again.

How long does it take to get from Holyhead to Kingston in London (roughly!!), are we talkin about 3,4,5,6 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

testicle wrote:
    Pembroke is closer, but Holyhead is Motorway/HQDC all the way. South Wales roads are utter sh1te. Time is about the same.
    There's only a short section of 2-lane road from Pembroke, then it's dual carriageway all the way to the M4. Hardly sh1te, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lockster

Suppose i'll just take the dublin holyhead 150euro route, didnt think it was going to be that expensive. Might not take the car now as i'll just have to bring it back in a few weeks and pay the same again.

How long does it take to get from Holyhead to Kingston in London (roughly!!), are we talkin about 3,4,5,6 hours?

I'd allow 4 hours, but probably won't take you that long. Also don't be tempted to go through Wales on the A5, although it looks shorter on a map. Take the A55 from Holyhead all the way to Chester and then the M56, M6 and M40. If time is not an issue then the A5 is a nice scenic drive but don't expect to make good time.

Alun wrote:
    There's only a short section of 2-lane road from Pembroke, then it's dual carriageway all the way to the M4. Hardly sh1te, I'd say.

Must have been upgraded so. Last time I was there the M4 started near LLanelli. There was also roadworks between Pembroek and the M4 which held me up for over an hour, and made me miss the Eurostar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

www.viamichelin.com

a brisk four hours, 457km, to Kingston upon Thames. Depends on traffic, and the time of day you are travelling (i.e., nightime you will fly down the motorways, but could be 6 hours+ if you hit rush hours).

The irish ferries Jonathan Swift gets cancelled a *lot* more frequently than the Stena Line HSS, which is a much much bigger boat (I think twice-three times the size, it seems anyway). I have been cancelled on the J Swift countless times and moved to the Ulysses, yet I see the HSS going on all except one of the occasions that the J Swift was cancelled. A major problem is that the J Swift leaves at 0845 - great if it goes as you are hitting the road at around half ten, but if it is cancelled, you get the 0805 (I think - it is earlier), and only get going at around twelve which can see you hitting evening traffic! Not good!

But, although the HSS is more likely to go even when the J Swift is cancelled, it leaves at 1100, which sucks even more! It is more useful on the way back though as it leaves at 1830, so you can easily clear the UK during the daytime.

The Ulysses will go in pretty much any conditions as it is huge, and if Stena have to cancel both the HSS and the slower one (Explorer? can't recall), they will book you on the Ulysses.

The HSS is slightly quicker by aroudn 10 mins, but fo course depends on weather DUn Laoghre or Dublin Port is more convenient.

testicle wrote:
    Must have been upgraded so. Last time I was there the M4 started near LLanelli. There was also roadworks between Pembroek and the M4 which held me up for over an hour, and made me miss the Eurostar.
    The M4 still starts near Llanelli. It's about 40km on the single carriageway A477, then another 40kms or so on the dual carriageway A40/A48 around Carmarthen to the start of the M40.

www.viamichelin.com

a brisk four hours, 457km, to Kingston upon Thames. Depends on traffic, and the time of day you are travelling (i.e., nightime you will fly down the motorways, but could be 6 hours+ if you hit rush hours).
    The M6 around Birmingham is a favourite bottleneck. Take the M6 Toll road if you're in a hurry and going round there any time near peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Alun wrote:
    The M6 around Birmingham is a favourite bottleneck. Take the M6 Toll road if you're in a hurry and going round there any time near peak times.
    I agree it's well worth the money and it is almost always deserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Anyone know if Pembroke would be closer to London than Holyhead?

probably is but i'm almost sure the boat trip is longer to pembroke than it is to holyhead.the prices of those motorway restaurants are crazy if you plan to stop along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Pembroke or Fishguard is your best bet - Holyhead is much further - I drove from London to Fishguard last year in a battered MG only took about 3 1/2 hours and that was with loads of coffee stops! It's a doddle to navigate and very well signposted as is most of the UK unlike here where the signs are created and erected by someone who had no idea where they were in the first place.

Sorry to bump this but im going in the mroning to holyhead which is the quickest route to Surrey? I was told go down by the birmingham toll road way?

Anyone able to give directions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A55 from Holyhead to Manchester direction, M6 towards Birmingham take the toll Road down to the M40 and follow down via Oxford to the M25 London orbital route.

eamon234 wrote:
    Pembroke or Fishguard is your best bet - Holyhead is much further - I drove from London to Fishguard last year in a battered MG only took about 3 1/2 hours and that was with loads of coffee stops! It's a doddle to navigate and very well signposted as is most of the UK unlike here where the signs are created and erected by someone who had no idea where they were in the first place.

What signs do you need!!!

The M4 From London leads on to the A48 which leads onto the A40 which goes straight to Fishguard. No turns anywhere! :cool:

testicle wrote:
    What signs do you need!!!

The M4 From London leads on to the A48 which leads onto the A40 which goes straight to Fishguard. No turns anywhere! :cool:

Im goin from holyhead :p

Im goin from holyhead :p

you're not eamon234! :p

Advertisement