Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting 3 months - still waiting on lease

Options
  • 20-03-2007 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here can give me some pointers...

I have been renting a house for the last 2 years without any major issues. This year I told my letting agency that I would like to renew the lease again, I was told that would not be a problem.

The agent came and looked around the house to make sure everything was ok, she said it was in good condition and that there would be no problem renewing the lease.

In early February I was told the new lease was drawn up and that I would receive my copy and a copy of a new standing order form in the next week, I have not yet received it either.

I called two weeks and was told the lease was 'in the post'

I have been paying the rent by cheque to the agency for the last two months, although this month I am going to refuse to do that as I feel I should have a lease at this stage.

My worry is that because I have no lease that the agency could turn around tomorrow and ask me to leave (if the landlord wanted to sell or something along those lines)

Am I worrying over nothing?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

cheers,
    Kone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

IANAL, but I would have thought that the terms of the old lease still apply to your current situation unless there's something specific in there about what happens at the end of the lease period. That said, you should still hassle them for a renewed lease to sign

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Surely you have been renting for 2 years and 3 months?

You are protected by minimum notice period undee the Act, but are look for a lease so that you have better protection than the act?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Victor wrote:
    Surely you have been renting for 2 years and 3 months?

You are protected by minimum notice period undee the Act, but are look for a lease so that you have better protection than the act?

Yes I have been renting for 2 years and 3 months and I am sure I am covered by minimum notice period (4 weeks).

I still want that lease though! Is there anyway to force them to send it? I am getting sick of leaving voicemails, emails, texts, etc, etc....

Advertisement