Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General HDD DVD Recorder Recommendations

• 20-03-2007 8:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having trouble tracking down recommendations for one of these since it's a relatively new format and I don't think a whole lot of people have them. I've looked here a few times too, but there don't seem to be any general recommendations.

Are any particular brands good and bad? Is there any reason to spend more than 300/400? Would it be better to wait (yet another) year? Has anyone bought several HDD DVD recorders and been particularly impressed or depressed by particular ones?

Any help trying to track down the right machine would be very much appreciated. I bought a pos bush from Woodies to tide me over until these came down in price, and it's driving me demented. :)

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

I own one of these recorders

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Philips_DVDR_3300_H__6362079

There are a few bad reviews their but I've never had much of a problem with it at all. There are lots of menus on it but IMO they are fairly straight foward.

My only gripe with it is once its unplugged the it loses the time and date and you have to reset it...oh and sometimes it just decides to turn on by itself.

But it does the job and I think its a God send :) I rarely miss any of my shows now

My mate got the one from Aldi a while back he said he had no problems with that one either...not sure of the make...think it was Silvercrest or maybe Toshiba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Got a Sony 160Gb from Pixmania.com for €309 delivered a couple of weeks ago. Love it! :) rdr-hx725 model. Playsback DivX/Xvid. Fantastic price. Menu system nice and simple. Auto setup in 10 minutes and its ready to roll. Great picture quality. Great to be free of the limitations of a 2hr dvd! Pioneer and Panasonic are highly regarded, but you'll rarely see one heavily discounted. Had a Philips dvd recorder but found it to be sluggish, just annoying things like waiting for it to startup, time it takes to eject discs, sluggish response to remote commands. Picture quality OK.
    dahamsta wrote:
    I'm having trouble tracking down recommendations for one of these since it's a relatively new format and I don't think a whole lot of people have them. I've looked here a few times too, but there don't seem to be any general recommendations.

Are any particular brands good and bad? Is there any reason to spend more than 300/400? Would it be better to wait (yet another) year? Has anyone bought several HDD DVD recorders and been particularly impressed or depressed by particular ones?

Any help trying to track down the right machine would be very much appreciated. I bought a pos bush from Woodies to tide me over until these came down in price, and it's driving me demented. :)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

dahamsta wrote:

adam

I am in the same situation as you adam, looking to buy one of these machines and really want some good reccomendations.

I have had both a HDD/VHS and a DVD Recorder and neither of them really were great.

The HDD recorder was one of the very early JVC machines from 2002 and it had some technical issues and is very noisy, it has been pretty reliable up until recently though but it is now starting to randomly delete recordings so I am getting rid of it.

The DVD recorder is a Philips (DVDR75) from 2004, it gave about 2 years of heavy use before it started deteriorating and it is now almost useless. It has big problems reading all discs, although it still records properly when i can get it to load a +RW disc.

When I bought it I took a gamble as the previous Philips recorders had a poor reliability reputation, it turned out that they have not really improved and the more recent models are still getting lots of poor reliability reviews.

I will not be getting another Philips model, ATM I am leaning towards a Pioneer or Panasonic but at €400+ they are far more expensive than other similarly spec recorders. If I could be reasonably sure of the reliability then it would probably be worth it though.

Advertisement