Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chances of Approval,

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I dunno CG. Doesn't sound like snobbery to me. I don't have as much experience with shotguns as I do with rifles, but I've used semi's, pumps and O/Us and the O/U was the easiest to tell whether or not it was able to fire - it was just "is the gun broken open?" rather than "Is there a little red thing dangling down over there".

It's the same with .22's - with a bolt action you just see if the bolt's open, but with a 10/22, it's not so immediately visible.

That's not to say that a shotgun with a breech flag is less safe, just that it's more obvious to everyone if it's broken.

Just my €0.02...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

another cheap method is just putting an oily rag in there with loads of it visible to anyone walking past

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote:
    I dunno CG. Doesn't sound like snobbery to me.

in the clay shooting scene it does exist, i don't know what excuse they use (safety, sporting) but it does exist

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Vegeta wrote:
    in the clay shooting scene it does exist, i don't know what excuse they use (safety, sporting) but it does exist
    Oh, I'm not saying snobbery doesn't exist Veg, it's rife throughout shooting from every group towards every other group, it's just that what CG was describing actually sounded like a legitimate position to be taking with rational reasoning behind it.

Which isn't to say that such positions have been taken for reasons other than the rational ones throughout our sport, but that's just life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Agree with you Sparks on checkablity of saftey on the DB front.But a pump can be checked just as quick,by seeing if the slide is fully racked back,as then the firing mech and hammer is totally jammed by the battery.Another reason the old exposed hammer Winchester 1897 was so pouplar you could see wether the hammer was in a cocked or safe position at a glance. Semis ,so long as the chamber is empty,it is safe,as all it will do is go into battery on an empty chamber.The chamber flags BTW are pretty big like 20ins,sort of like the Remove before Takeoff flags on fighter jets.

Ultimately on this saftey issue.Do we have any stats local or international that shows the semi/pump Vs DBBL being involved in more shooting accidents?I mean both types of guns are used in practical shotgun shooting,and that is a more dynamic sport than claybusting ever will be,and yet we should hear of accidents even then despite the rigiours training involved.
    I still belive it is the snobbery aspect with the belif in the clay and hunting world of the unfair and dubious advantage in clay shooting of the 3rd shot.
    In the game field a 3rd shot is an advantage if you have an injured bird that you need to finish off quickly.This love /hate of the semi has been knocking around for a century now,and proably will for another 100 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement