Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Extreme ???

Options
  • 20-03-2007 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Has anyone heard about ntl broadband extreme
    was onto them today complaining and for once got a nice helpful person
    Anyway he said in certain areas there is this extreme
    it has 12mb and no caps
    said its only new
    said its in my areas
    anyone know if its happening
    also are any of the other isp gonna up there speed
    if Ntl are giving uncapped will they still block specific ports and traffic shape

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Always possible I guess. After all the lines used to be 10 before they reduced them to 6. Also its been mentioned elsewhere that UPC bosses are commited to bringing speeds nearer what they offer in other countries.

I'd be more impressed with better routing and a slight faster upload though. No use having 12Meg with bad pings and poxy routing.

In holland UPC offer 20Meg/2Meg up including phone service for 60 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I'd be more impressed with better routing and a slight faster upload though. No use having 12Meg with bad pings and poxy routing.

Yeah that would be more importent for me too. Although if this were to role out around the country I would hope that us max customers would get that and not that it would be a package above the max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

NTL Ireland sales and marketing director Mark Mohan said:
    "The existing standard for cable in Ireland is DOCSIS 1.0. We are planning to conduct trials on DOCSIS 2.0 and will deploy it if it passes the trial stage. DOCSIS will enable us to launch the extreme broadband products deployed over cable in Holland and Austria - speeds ranging from 10Mb per second up to 30Mb per second - that's the truly phenomenal territory we are heading into. We see a great future in terms of what cable can do for broadband speeds."

From http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5069

Jebsus that that Linked page called UPC UGC a good few times, its good to see our IT news sources are as reliable as ever.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

nipplenuts wrote:
    NTL Ireland sales and marketing director Mark Mohan said:
    "The existing standard for cable in Ireland is DOCSIS 1.0. We are planning to conduct trials on DOCSIS 2.0 and will deploy it if it passes the trial stage. DOCSIS will enable us to launch the extreme broadband products deployed over cable in Holland and Austria - speeds ranging from 10Mb per second up to 30Mb per second - that's the truly phenomenal territory we are heading into. We see a great future in terms of what cable can do for broadband speeds."

From http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5069

Be far better for them if they looked after the present!

Also the link is to an article from July 2005????? NTL really have headed into ''truly phenomenal territory'' alright!!!

• Advertisement

Lol, true true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Does anyone know what kind of potential ntl's cable lines have? How much faster could they go in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Didnt NTL already upgrade to DOCSIS 2.0 last year. Thats why all those modems were replaced.

From my modem stats:
    "Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant"

Well that just means that your modem will work with DOCSIS 2.0 aswell as earlier versions. Hopefully it means we wont need new modems. But likely NTL will find some reason to make us switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I think we should re-label this to NTL Extreme sh!te based on the current service we are getting from these shower.

Snake ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement