Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to start off in the garden and need advice

Options
  • 20-03-2007 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I am trying to get into the garden but it is like going into the jungle. CAn any one tell me where to start or know any good books that can help me get the ball rolling??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I'd start with a bottle of "Roundup" and a watering can/sprayer. Then try your local library where they will have a selection of gardening books. Look for "How to be a Gardener" by Alan Titchmarsh but there should be several good books on offer. Then relax and read for about a month while the Roundup does it's work and you'll be ready and full of ideas. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lots of good advice and tips from friendly folk here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

If you don't fancy using weed killers....get some black plastic or carpet and cover the area and you'll be ready to start digging in about 1-2 months..

Its a good idea to draw up a rough plan, to organise the lay out your finished garden.

The garden expert by Dr D.G Hessayon is a good book, which will get you started nicely....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bought monty don's 'the complete gardener' which is excellent, but a lot of it is devoted to growing food crops, which may not be on your radar (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

to be honest if I get grass in grow in it, it will be a victory

• Advertisement

thanks guys for the tips, if you come up with any other advice it will be accepted gratefully

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it overgrown with weeds and level, or completely overgrown with anything and everything, and bumpy?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Once it's dug over, pick out as many roots and stones as you can at that stage, easier than having them annoy you later.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Padjo1981 wrote:
    to be honest if I get grass in grow in it, it will be a victory

:D:D , You might surprise yourself with what you can grow when you get started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

First job is to clear the garden - as someone already said, spray it and give it a few weeks.

When the weeds have died, hire yourself a rotavator (not too expensive to hire for a weekend from any plant hire store). You'll then be faced with a few evenings of stone-picking before it is ready to seed.

April is a good time of year to sow grass-seed. Once you have established your lawn, you can get more adventurous.

You can see an article on sowing grass-seed at:
    http://www.homeandgardenireland.com/article.php?start=0&articleId=11

• Advertisement

It is over grown with everything, there is even a single rose bush in the middle of it, where it came from I have no clue. It is fairly level but not going to be playing bowls on it.

you could kill weeds by pouring boiling water on them. cheaper than buying weedkiller, and probably more environmentally friendly.

Advertisement