Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S Video pcmcia card?

Options
  • 20-03-2007 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Do they make such a thing?
    A pcmcia card that has an svideo out port.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

There has been a PCMCIA graphics card 2D only mind you but I do not know if it would have an s-video output as they are not so easy to acquire.

The easiest option if your existing laptop has a VGA output is to use this converter which takes VGA and can convert into scart or s-video up to 1280x1204 in resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

wow very interesting.
    But what exactly are you getting with that?
    I was thinking maybe i could get an adapter for the external monitor port that converts it to s video.
    Since i already have svideo to scart leads.

The converter takes a VGA output and converts it into either scart, s-video or composite video outputs of your choice.

After that plug in the required lead e.g s-video or scart into the converter and then into the TV and you will get you desktop on screen maximum resolution supported is 1280x124 so keep that in mind.

You can't just convert a VGA output straight into s-video doesn't work like that.

Here is another converter on s-video.com

So it works out like this:
    Laptop VGA output->VGA cable->VGA converter->S-video lead->TV S-video input

Unless you have them spare already you will need to purchase VGA & s-video cables of which Lindy.ie also sell in abundance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

8T8 wrote:
    and you will get you desktop on screen maximum resolution supported is 1280x1024 so keep that in mind.
    Also keep in mind you won't be able to read anything at that resolution after it's converted to PAL or NTSC scanrates ;)

There is some built in scaler/compensation though text will be fuzzy if you read the review but of course you can always use a lower resolution & it only supports PAL.

I assume the OP is probably more interested in playing videos anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement