Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are clays biodegradable

Options
  • 20-03-2007 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi this is my first time contributing to this forum. Have got alot of info here since I got my shotgun about two months ago. So thanks everyone.

I am interested in getting one of those small clay traps, the ones you can attatch to a spare car wheel. My problem is where can I use it? I have permission to shoot three farms around the cork area and know the farmers quite well. But I don't think they would be to happy about the fields being covered in clay shrapnel. Does anyone know if you can get biodegradable clays and would they be expensive. Am also interested in joining a clay club. Does anyone know of any in the cork area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

I had a similar situation with a farmer friend, they are biodegrabable, but take a long time to disappear. The worse problem are the plastic wads everywhere, we did pick these up. To expedite the disipation of the clays, stamp on them and they will degrade quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

use fibre wad cartridges

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Vegeta wrote:
    use fibre wad cartridges

They tend to cost a bit!

Plastic wads are better suited to clays cos they print better patterns

We have a bird master and after each session we just pick up the wads and stamp in the clays like fathersmyes said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

If you can and the farmer has,try getting the clays to fly out over a boggy,wet part of the fields rather than prime pastureland. broken clays I find break down better when immersed in wet ground.Or the cattle will tread them down quicker into wet ground?
    Other option is hold the shoot on a field that will be ploughed over .

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Happyhunter

Thanks guys. I will go for the boggy land aproach, but will check with the farmer first. It's gona be messy collecting the wads though.

• Advertisement

Take your wellies!:D But that isanother reason to use the swampy parts,the plastic doesnt matter that much there,and cattle walking thru it will trample them into the mud.Not very green or PC,but,it isnt prime grasslands we are talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

But that isanother reason to use the swampy parts,the plastic doesnt matter that much there,and cattle walking thru it will trample them into the mud.Not very green or PC,but,it isnt prime grasslands we are talking about here.

Comments like that are really going to help our public image:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Better pick up all the lead as well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Awesome

You know the amount of ****ing pricks that post on this forum never ceases to amaze me. What, do you think all gun owners prance around saying 'jolly good shot my boy' while dressed in tweed jackets and caps. Next time I've got a field full of broken clays I'll give you a shout. You obviously enjoy walking around in fields full of cow ****.

WTF???????
    If you let somone shoot clays it is going to be messy on a field.You as the farmer have control as to yea or nay where the shoot is held etc.No point bitching about it after.Think a bit before engaging fingers on keyboard.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement