Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

no more techno in waterford

• 20-03-2007 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

my friend organises nights in the forum in waterford, he has just been told by the forum owners they along with every club in waterford have signed a deal with the waterford guardi to not allow any more techno/dance music djs in their clubs because it attracts a drug crowd.

basically its a legal way of banning techno and dance from clubs

i dont take pills, speed or any hard drugs so how are they allowed to stop me or anyone from listening to music that we like just because some people like to take drugs?

is there anything we can do about this?

its like banning irish music from pubs because some people that listen to irish music drink and drive.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

perhaps this will be of interest on the Waterford City board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I for one welcome this ban. The next logical step would be hanging techno heads up with piano wire, from the street lamps. That would be too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

was thinking it might get more replies here i will post it in waterford city board aswell

Binomate wrote:
    I for one welcome this ban. The next logical step would be hanging techno heads up with piano wire, from the street lamps. That would be too good.
    why? just because you dont like techno? :rolleyes: it's tollerant society we live in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Oh i want a hippy free Dublin
    No long haired unwashed roaming the streets as they attract dirt.
    No Emo kids at the central bank.
    And jazz type people who drink brandy.

I want to subscribe to this newsletter and get valuable tips on how to rid Dublin of certain musical styled elements.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I don't think there's anything you can do about it really. The club owners can decide what is or is not played on their premises.

They are under no legal obligation to play techno.

thrill wrote:
    I don't think there's anything you can do about it really. The club owners can decide what is or is not played on their premises.

They are under no legal obligation to play techno.
    i know and its sickening, if i want to listen to techno i have to go to dublin or abroad, i just dont see how something like that can be allowed, it's a legal banning of music :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Start your own club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Thats a load of rubbish, there are loads of nights already planned and booked with Techno and House etc. does anyone really think they are goin to cancel them all. The Gurads are doing random checks on almost every night anyways, i know people who got pulled into rooms and stripped to their boxers, they can do that all they want but as for getting clubs to sign something to say no more Techno nights etc. this ain't gonna happen and there's no way any clubs are going to agree to something as ridiculous as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

that sux man im heavily into dance music and have never done any drug harder than hash and im even off the drink now..........

ill be in limerick in september hope to get some nights up running seen as im doin it now in dub hopefully limerick is not a huge trck for you(my geaogrsphy is ****)

theres nothing you can do about that club but you could set something up in a community hall / gaa club (preferably witha bar but not necessary if your just trying to make a point)

im trying to look at the legality of poeple bringing their own drink to places like these to drink in the community hall etc with music playing ill let you know if i find anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

humanji wrote:
    Start your own club
    ...with hookers and blackjack?

Moved from AH, with redirect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

There is only one reasonable course of action. Find out what people are responsible for this, find out their favoutite music, find a club that plays it then go to that club while listening to that music and taking every illegal drug you can get your hands on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

LOl now its metals time to shine :D!!! Seriously though, this is a worrying turn of events. hopefully no such thing will happen with the metal gigs.

OP im just wondering , were you getting much of a turnout at those gigs?? Also was there a door charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

You'll just have to wait to see if this is true or not. The weekend will tell.

It seems far fetched that anything would be put down on paper though. Maybe the guardi made a request that it not be played. I cant see club owners signing anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

my friend organises nights in the forum in waterford, he has just been told by the forum owners they along with every club in waterford have signed a deal with the waterford guardi to not allow any more techno/dance music djs in their clubs because it attracts a drug crowd.

i find it really hard to believe that they could basically outlaw a form of music. why would the clubs sign a deal with the guards which would effectively see them lose hundreds of thousands of euros? also, a ban on techno music would only encourage more outdoor raves, which is bad for everyone, both ravers and cops.

in the local newspaper court pages a week or two ago there was an article about Judge Harnett congratulating the Forum for "cleaning up its act" by taking new measures to fight drug use. this new measure from what i can tell is having DS in the club searching customers along with the bouncers. i think the forum are eventually stopping dance nights due to renovations going on there, not too sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

This all sounds like bull**** to me. If they all 'signed a deal' then I suppose it's a legal thing, and they'd explain it to me if I phoned the cop shop?

If it's true, why not contact the local newspapers? Why not contact WLR? Why not demonstrate? Why not find a venue somewhere and organise your own nights?

This is the typical sort of ridiculous rumour that you only ever get in Waterford, and if it was true, I suppose people would just shake their fists at the sky and take it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Theres no way that can be true....If it is...well then im speechless. Crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

who owns the forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

why? just because you dont like techno? :rolleyes: it's tollerant society we live in
    Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The Garda making a request like this i can believe...
    The Forum and the other clubs agreeing I find hard to believe..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hijaQr

who owns the forum?

A bitter fukking kunt thats who! I thought the place was being turned into a ****ty TGI Friday style place at one stage.

As for the forum cleaning up its act: Is that since Musiklab left or is it from before then? I remember security got very tight there at once stage while the Musiklab crowd were putting on nights there.

This is a load of bollix, even if its true. It cant/wont stand up for long if at all.

Anyway, whats considered techno in the eyes of the law? Back to this repetitive beat ban sh't that hit the UK all those years ago?

Now we have policing on music styles. Haha. Whats next? We gonna be told what colour socks to wear on certain days? Drugs will be done in clubs, at home, in woods, fields, squats, whereever.... This new 'deal' isnt gonna change a thing. It isnt a law thats been passed, so its not worth **** IMO.

deisedevil wrote:
    Thats a load of rubbish, there are loads of nights already planned and booked with Techno and House etc. does anyone really think they are goin to cancel them all. The Gurads are doing random checks on almost every night anyways, i know people who got pulled into rooms and stripped to their boxers, they can do that all they want but as for getting clubs to sign something to say no more Techno nights etc. this ain't gonna happen and there's no way any clubs are going to agree to something as ridiculous as that.
    after the last bookings its over, its not a load of rubbish i heard it straight from the horses mouth, Diarmuid O'Meara who has organised a good few nights in the forum already and is organising DJ Rush, he's a good mate of mine and he told me :(

OP im just wondering , were you getting much of a turnout at those gigs?? Also was there a door charge?
    he was gettin a great crowd for some of his nights, people coming down from dublin to the gigs aswell. door charges were cheap enough around 10 - 15 but they were mostly for the organisers and djs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he was gettin a great crowd for some of his nights, people coming down from dublin to the gigs aswell. door charges were cheap enough around 10 - 15 but they were mostly for the organisers and djs.

so what going to be there instead, ****ty generic nights with the latest dance club hits for xtina and justin timberlake? where people come in just to get alcohol later?

ok prepare for less drugs and more violence on the streets outside

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

damnit if thats true ill cry, waterford rules!! ten is already gone grrr :mad: will be down for dj rush though wohoo!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

clairey wrote:
    waterford rules!!

????:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

its like banning irish music from pubs because some people that listen to irish music drink and drive.....

I support this action. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭derdoh

I find this very hard to believe seen as ****** just had a massive weekend with seb fontaine,lisa lashes,jon carter.

Waterford is synonymous with dance clubs since the late 80's with the metroland,cheers,breens,flow motion and a lot more, all being very popular with the best dj's and clubbers from around the Ireland.

The forum has finished the nights it used to have and muskilab is gone and ten is also closed,but id love to see some real evidence of this other than what the OP says.

derdoh wrote:
    I find this very hard to believe seen as ****** just had a massive weekend with seb fontaine,lisa lashes,jon carter.

Waterford is synonymous with dance clubs since the late 80's with the metroland,cheers,breens,flow motion and a lot more, all being very popular with the best dj's and clubbers from around the Ireland.

The forum has finished the nights it used to have and muskilab is gone and ten is also closed,but id love to see some real evidence of this other than what the OP says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Electric Circus

Right O, so the guards are able to tell Detroit from tribal Techno. Ha ha bite me bollicks. Im just pissed i didn't think off that rumour.. Musiklab is gone so it Ten,Oxygen and the Forum in June thats why.Techno was allways been ungerground anyway..We have had techno in Waterford since day one that will never change..
    Im off up too ballybricken with my boom box too play never my the buzz cops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

What's the gardaí's definition of 'techno' ?

It all sounds a bit urban myth to me ..

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

What date is today .... April fools day ... i cant believe i read this thread so far ... That Every Clubber Has No Option ... bring an ipod to your discos:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

so what going to be there instead, ****ty generic nights with the latest dance club hits for xtina and justin timberlake? where people come in just to get alcohol later?

ok prepare for less drugs and more violence on the streets outside

exactly...how many fights do U hear happening after clubs involving people on mdma? Not many I imagine. Clubs just want to feed people with booze because it means they can pay less money (and attention) for their DJ staff because people are just all boozed up and would listen to anything so any ****e DJ will do. as far as I'm concerned, Dublin is the only half decent spot in this country for techno stuff and that's a sad state of affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fandyfan

this sounds ridicoulous. theres no way they can ban something like that!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

This sounds like something out of the Bible belt.I saw a documentary on TV a few years ago about disco music and it showed in the early eighties all these Evangelical christians burning Kool & the Gang,Earth Wind and Fire etc.LP's in the middle of a huge football stadium.Imagine a full Croke park with the same scene and you will get the picture.

Waterford has a great record for the dance scene.I'm sure a lot of us remeber back in the Roxy and Man Friday days it was up threre with anything Cork and Dublin had to offer and some of the best DJs in the world played there.I heard Judge Jules in an interview talk about Waterford and Cork in equal terms as London and Manchester as far as atmosphere goes.There was drugs of course but there was drugs everywhere and banning dance music will do nothing to stop it.A friend of mine shovels more snow watching the football than most clubbers do.

This will makes us look really backward if its true.

• Advertisement

Typical Waterford though. As soon as someone hears that something bad is happening the first instinct is to give up, despair and whinge helplessly. Somethings, alas, never change. If it was anywhere else there'd be riots on the streets, or, I dunno, another pub/club would take the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

On St. Patricks night we had almost the same amount of arrests as Dublin City.This has SFA all to do with drugs or techno music.This countries problem is drink.Always was and always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Asskicker

i dont take pills, speed or any hard drugs so how are they allowed to stop me or anyone from listening to music that we like just because some people like to take drugs?

is there anything we can do about this?

Nobody signed a deal with anyone. The Cops basically sent a letter to both owners of The Forum and Oxygen saying to stop all Dance gigs or there will be trouble. Stage 1 in the Forum is closing in june for renovations and hard dance and techno gigs will be stopping there soon after.
    If i owned a club i'd call it quits aswell if the cops started threatening me.
    Its a real pity coz there is a good scene in waterford and looks like there's gonna be ****all happening after june until another club opens or somethin happens

so what about the Bowery do they have to stop people having a good time aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 technohead2007

Stage 1 in the forum is being turned into a restaurant Stage 2 isnt sound proofed enough for dance events, ten is closed. There was hope with Oxygen but the cops did send a letter basically saying they would come down like a ton of bricks on club owners ie. make it their business to catch under agers who slip past bouncers, and take away licence's and be a general pain in the ass. They didnt demand anything as such just using their weight to shove dance outta waterford. I hear they had a drug fuelled party in the the barricks when they hear ten was closing. Bastardo's. :mad:

• Advertisement

So all thats left for us dance heads is to take away the bastards control, and go back to throwing raves in the woods, hills, mountains, beaches etc and become a serious pain in the ass for them. They will rue the day they ****ed with our music.

If all this is true,its a sad fruckin day for waterford.:mad:

im afraid its true m8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

So all thats left for us dance heads is to take away the bastards control, and go back to throwing raves in the woods, hills, mountains, beaches etc and become a serious pain in the ass for them. They will rue the day they ****ed with our music.
    Make sure you clean up after yourselves. Please.

Roen wrote:
    Make sure you clean up after yourselves. Please.

Quite so Roen, nobody cares a damn as long as they clean up after themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

all this poo poo (since my first attempt was censored! what gives mod??) goes back to the metroland days when it was forced to shut down on drugs allegations etc..yeah there was drugs there but sure there will be drugs everywhere, it is up to the law to police it and not at the expense of the ordinary fun loving (non drug taking) clubbers. If people wanna take drugs and party, they will, period. The poor law just want an easy job trying to police all this, just like they want the easy pickings of standing behind a tree on a good quality road catching people speeding..the whole thing is laughable. Party on...illegal raves in the UK are on the rise again...anyone spot a trend???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Glad I got my kicks before the whole **** house went up in flames:D

As far as clubbing in Waterford went:

Nailer/Johnnie/Owie @ Katie Riley's
    Tasty @ Stone Court
    Man Fridays @ Metroland
    Can't Stop @ The Roxy
    FlowMotion @ Egans
    Playpen @ South

But BEST of all, it HAD to be Cork for:

Sweat @ Sir Henry's

Those were the days folks!;)