Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-Kildare Route

Options
  • 20-03-2007 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I used to ocassionally cycle along the Naas Road if I was going that way bit I've not been on it in a few years. Does anyone still cycle it now that it's been upgraded? Is it still safe to do so? Would you recommend coming off at each junction and rejoining to avoid crossing a lane?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may be safe to stay on, provided that you cross the on/off ramps at a substantial angle, minimising your time in the traffic lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

It depends on where you're cycling from/to. There's a bus lane from the Baldonnell interchange which is reasonably good, but it might get a bit dicey at the Red Cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

It depends on where you're cycling from/to. There's a bus lane from the Baldonnell interchange which is reasonably good, but it might get a bit dicey at the Red Cow.
    Thanks,
    I'll be coming from Tallaght direction, probably joining the N7 from the City West Road. It's the section from here to the start of the Motorway that I'd be worried about. What's traffic like there during the evening rush hour? I've only driven it at night when the cars fly past, is it slow during the day? Does it have a hard shoulder (I presume it does) because then I wouldn't be too put out by cars passing?

John_C wrote:
    Thanks,
    I'll be coming from Tallaght direction, probably joining the N7 from the City West Road. It's the section from here to the start of the Motorway that I'd be worried about. What's traffic like there during the evening rush hour? I've only driven it at night when the cars fly past, is it slow during the day? Does it have a hard shoulder (I presume it does) because then I wouldn't be too put out by cars passing?

It's better during rush hours as the traffic is slower. By 8am inbound traffic (going to the Red Cow) is backed up to the Baldonnell interchange so speeding cars aren't an issue; I don't know what its like during the evening on the other side. There's a hard shoulder up to Baldonnell, then a bus lane after this. If I was doing this I'd avoid the Citywest interchange altogether and enter the N7 at the Baldonnell - you'll be straight onto the bus lane then.

It's better during rush hours as the traffic is slower. By 8am inbound traffic (going to the Red Cow) is backed up to the Baldonnell interchange so speeding cars aren't an issue; I don't know what its like during the evening on the other side. There's a hard shoulder up to Baldonnell, then a bus lane after this. If I was doing this I'd avoid the Citywest interchange altogether and enter the N7 at the Baldonnell - you'll be straight onto the bus lane then.
    Thanks,
    Forgive my lack of geography but is the Baldonnell interchange the one in Rathcoole, so you're recommending Tallaght-Saggart-Rathcoole-Naas?

• Advertisement

John_C wrote:
    Thanks,
    Forgive my lack of geography but is the Baldonnell interchange the one in Rathcoole, so you're recommending Tallaght-Saggart-Rathcoole-Naas?

Sorry John, I misread the thread title as Kildare-Dublin rather than Dublin-Kildare - most cycle commuters are going into Dublin rather than away from it! If you're going towards Naas from Citywest then the Citywest interchange is clearly the one to take. For reference the Baldonnell interchange is the one between the Rathcoole bridge and Newland's Cross (see Google Maps). There should be a hard shoulder all the way to Naas, but you'll need to be careful at junctions.

Sorry John, I misread the thread title as Kildare-Dublin rather than Dublin-Kildare - most cycle commuters are going into Dublin rather than away from it! If you're going towards Naas from Citywest then the Citywest interchange is clearly the one to take. For reference the Baldonnell interchange is the one between the Rathcoole bridge and Newland's Cross (see Google Maps). There should be a hard shoulder all the way to Naas, but you'll need to be careful at junctions.
    Thanks.

Advertisement