Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread Binned?

Options
  • 20-03-2007 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I've been advised to move this here...

Why was my Thread moved to recycle bin? http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055068331

I know I said in it I felt a bit silly posting it, but it looked like was just about to gain some momentum...

I've seen a lot worse stay. A LOT worse.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Deserved to be binned in my opinion. I've seen some good threads on abortion on here that had some good discussion but purposely posting a thread with no brains behind it can only make people question the mental stae of anyone that starts them ...in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Did you seriously even think before typing?
    You wrote:
    Haha. Yes I did, and I thought it a bit silly, but decided I would post it anyway to see what may happen.

"gain momentum" in AH? You mean turn into a silly, pointless flame-war?

It got binned by a mod. You have your answer. Move on with your life... Or were you saying you were trolling?
    Improve the original post and post in Humanities, TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

You answered your own question, ala Karoma's post. Need I say more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Karoma wrote:
    "gain momentum" in AH? You mean turn into a silly, pointless flame-war?

It got binned by a mod. You have your answer. Move on with your life... Or were you saying you were trolling?
    Improve the original post and post in Humanities, TBH.

No no, I didnt want it to turn into a war, nor was I trolling, I was just hoping to see some discussion about drastic resolution for basically a spin off from the 21 year old father of seven thread.
    Unfortunately the first thing that sprung to my mind was abortions, so I decided to run with that. I posted it on After Hours, meaning for it to be a lighthearted and silly discussion, with various opinions. but I see I hit a raw nerve mentioning the A word as a headliner. I didn't mean to offend people, I just went about it the wrong way, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

You need to work on your comic technique considerably I think.

• Advertisement

Its still a live thread and its going on without me :(
    The Mods get to stay up chatting while I have to go to bed...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You missed your chance(s) to say something / give your opinion in that thread. You simply posed the question and then admitted that it was silly to post it.
    Again, give it some thought, post in Humanities with your thoughts and have a good discussion.

Yeah, I guess I didnt get in there quick enough, but then I saw that moderators were having a discussion in it and thought it may be safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I love the line in the second post on that thread...

"Do you really think abortions would help stop teenage pregnancy?"

umm, yes?!

Talliesin wrote:
    You need to work on your comic technique considerably I think.

I wasnt trying to be a comedian, I just wanted to see a the topic discussed a bit more lightly and less seriously. I see that the subject of death and funerals was a hot topic today, that can hit nerves too, yet It's nice to be able to be relaxed in a taboo topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

boreds wrote:
    I wasnt trying to be a comedian, I just wanted to see a the topic discussed a bit more lightly and less seriously. I see that the subject of death and funerals was a hot topic today, that can hit nerves too, yet It's nice to be able to be relaxed in a taboo topic.

Abortion - one of the great topics for light-hearted discussion. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the Holocaust or paedophilia.

Myself & Mrs Billy must have you over for one of our candle-lit suppers. The conversation would be as sparkling as the Waterford Crystal!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

boreds wrote:
    Why was my Thread moved to recycle bin?

I'm gobsmacked you even have to ask that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

what a classic line from scojones
    Do you really think abortions would help stop teenage pregnancy?

i cant help but laugh and laugh and laugh at that one.

Beruthiel wrote:
    I'm gobsmacked you even have to ask that question.

Okay okay, But It would have made more sense to me if the thread was binned before Scojones(the mover I presume) left a comment on it and not when it had gotten to 19 comments in, by that stage I thought it was well under way to having a discussion on teenage pregnancies. I do see that I may have said the Wrong thing in the Original post, but It was a Simpson quote that some had picked up on, and it got people clicking and talking, isn't that what it is all about? (and once again Talking for me ISNT trolling)
    I wasn't too sure if I put it in the right place, but I had seen serious topics like rape being discussed on After hours before, so thats why I decided to post it. I just would have liked to see what may have come up, because there are cartain things you cant really say on other Forums, thats why I wanted it here, where there seems to be a bit more freedom.

Hill Billy wrote:
    Abortion - one of the great topics for light-hearted discussion. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the Holocaust or paedophilia.

Myself & Mrs Billy must have you over for one of our candle-lit suppers. The conversation would be as sparkling as the Waterford Crystal!

Fantastic. I will bring my photos of Cambodia...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

boreds wrote:
    but It was a Simpson quote that some had picked up on
    And mutilated to the point of being pointless.

"Abortions for all" failing to get unanimous support, followed by "Flags for all" failing also but finishing with "Abortions for some, flags for others" getting full support from all voters is a satire upon the polarisation that comes from the two-party system in American politics.

See, it succeeds as satire in two places where you failed:
    1. It says something.
    2. It is funny.

Try to work those two things into your satire in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's satireday, it's a satireday, also known as showerdaayyyy. /bass riff

Talliesin wrote:
    And mutilated to the point of being pointless.

"Abortions for all" failing to get unanimous support, followed by "Flags for all" failing also but finishing with "Abortions for some, flags for others" getting full support from all voters is a satire upon the polarisation that comes from the two-party system in American politics.

See, it succeeds as satire in two places where you failed:
    1. It says something.
    2. It is funny.
    Try to work those two things into your satire in the future.

I would Never think of myself in league with the satirical genius of the Simpsons. My Thread was not about me getting points and winning hearts and minds of everyone. Can't please all of the people all of the time anyway. it was hopefully going to be a blatantly black or white discussion about what to do with teenage pregnancies, mine was a bit drastic.

And it was 'abortions for none' was the next line...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

boreds wrote:
    decided I would post it anyway to see what may happen.
    And know you know exactly what does happen if you post threads that you think are 'silly'

Blowfish wrote:
    And know you know exactly what does happen if you post threads that you think are 'silly'

Ahh me and my big mouth. I shouldntv said anything.
    Lesson learned then, I'll gag that curious little voice in my head that says 'do it :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement