Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paprika

Options
  • 20-03-2007 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Anyone excited about Satoshi Kon's new anime feature? From trailers I've seen, it looks stunning. The soundtrack is also worth mentioning, composed by the legendary Susumu Hirasawa. Anyone know te DVD's release date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

i preordered this on play a couple of weeks ago, but now the page says that it is not available for preorder yet, interesting. and the order history says that i'll be notified when it's dispatched.

i'm hoping its a bit twisted. i've been yearning for something since i saw paranoia agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It looks like it's going to get a cinema release in the US now... so they probably didn't want it being available on DVD so soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

Looks good, definitely want to see this.

US trailer.

Sony Pictures Japan R2 NTSC DVD details.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Yea that looked pretty cool...what are Satoshi Kon's previous movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers and Millennium Actress.

All of them excellent.

And don't forget the brilliant Paranoia Agent series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Saruwatari wrote:
    The soundtrack is also worth mentioning, composed by the legendary Susumu Hirasawa.

yes he is god.

HIIIIEEEEEEE FORCESSSS

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Thanks to the power of the interweb, I have seen half of Paprika so far, and its just stunning beyong words. Totally damn recommended.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Extremely high percentage on rotten tomatoes.
    Oh, if only this got a cinema release over here :(

Well, Liffey Valley's VUE showed Pan's Labyrinth and Howl's Moving Castle, so there could be a shred of hope Paprika arrives here. If it does, I'll definetely be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Trailer looks very interesting. I remember watching perfect blue, that was an excellent movie. When is the DVD being released?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was over in Holland during the week and for some strange reason Paprika has gotten a DVD release over there - it's actually the soon to be Irish version, with IFCO rating and all on the DVD, and all with beautiful English subs / dub.

Anyway, very interesting film. Certainly one of the most unique animes I have come across - think Spirited Away meets David Lynch. Id be lying if I said it made any sense whatsoever, but for everyone who liked Kon's other film, I would heartily recommend it.

Did you hear the English dub? If so, is it any good?
    So I doubt Papurika is getting a theatrical release then, damn.

Saruwatari wrote:
    Did you hear the English dub? If so, is it any good?
    So I doubt Papurika is getting a theatrical release then, damn.

I checked the English dub there and it seems pretty good. Of course, Im a traditional man so subs all the way ;)
    Cant get the soundtrack out of my head.

I checked the English dub there and it seems pretty good. Of course, Im a traditional man so subs all the way ;)
    Cant get the soundtrack out of my head.
    And without reason. My fav song is the theme, Byakkoya - White Tiger Field. Too bad Hirasawa never got nominated for the Oscar Best Soundtrack award.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i 'availed' of it recently, looks ****ing AMAZING, havent seen it yet.
    i wudnt touch the dub anyway, subtitles all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Decay666

Excellent anime everyone should definitly check it out when its released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bluerose

I think it will be a great anime:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CitizenGeek

That trailer is amazing! It sold me not only on Paprika, but on Satoshi Kon overall too!

I've seen Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers (from Kon) and I was very impressed, so I'm definately looking forward to this movie. It's only a few short days away, too!

Izzit? How many exactly?

• Advertisement

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3256478/Paprika/Product.html
    Out in ten days apparantly..
    Hopefully they'll release the 2 disc set - it has a great collection of extras. Must watch the rest some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Its a good film, I watched it when drunk a while ago, was such a bizarre experience.

I think it could have been a wee bit better but its for sure a must see anime.

Can confirm this has been given an Irish DVD release - saw it in Tower Records in Easons on O'Connell Street.
    Check it out if you like your anime intelligent and imaginative!

Sweeet, I'm definetely getting my mitts on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

no

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ok just finished watching this this evening... I made the mistake of getting a dubbed version, although it had english subs which where equally as confusing. It reminded me somewhat of eXistenZ, where you never are sure if its a dream or not. All in all a good movie, definitely kept me interested, although i'm glad I didn't watch it later at night or after a glass of wine.

One question, at the end when the detective is recommended to go see "Dream Children" is that an actual movie? If not what was that a reference to?

L31mr0d wrote: »
    One question, at the end when the detective is recommended to go see "Dream Children" is that an actual movie? If not what was that a reference to?
    Nope, the other films (Tokyo Godfathers, Millenium Actress, Perfect Blue) were real of course, but Dream Children is fictional. Though ya never know, might be Kon-sensei's next film...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Nope, the other films (Tokyo Godfathers, Millenium Actress, Perfect Blue) were real of course, but Dream Children is fictional. Though ya never know, might be Kon-sensei's next film...

yeah thats why i asked because i noticed all the other movies on the billboards where his movies. I just thought i missed something in the movie as it seemed weird to end on something that had not been mentioned or explained throughout the whole movie... but then I suppose there was a lot weird about this movie :rolleyes:

Advertisement