Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best way to protect your car.

Options
  • 21-03-2007 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have an old car (94 Nissan Sunny) and someone tried to steal it the other night. Luckily a neighbour seen what was happening and knocked in and told me. When I went out the car door was open and there was not a scratch on the door. A friend of mine told me that with certain cars older than 96 for example will easily open with a key from a car of the same make\model if its the same year.......

This came as a bit of a surprise. Anyway the cars in great condition with only 60K on the clock. I am hoping to hold on to it for about an other year thats if its not nicked before hand.

It does have an imobilizer bit this is located right beside the ignigtion which is pointless.

Can anyone recommend a lock or an alarm. I would fit an alarm myself if its handy enough. Was thinking a lock and chain amybe?

Thnaks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Lock and chain should throw off the burglar sending him to an easier target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

An alarm is a good start, and for extra security you can trow in a steering wheel lock as well. That should keep your car safe, and make sure you never leave your radio in the car or any other things that could attract the wrong sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The lock and chain would be the better bet, as mentioned before most scum bags will just walk away froma car with a chain. I know people who have had the chain welded to the floor, usually older cars though, because there is nowhere good to loop the chain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

1) An alarm well fitted. IE the alarm brain well hidden, siren with built in backup battery and the alarm immobilises the fuel pump, not the ignition. Both would be better. Don't put the name of the alarm stickers on the car.

2) Hidden fuel cut off switch separate to the alarm.

3) Chain and padlock ok, but the determined will just hack through the soft steering wheel. One of the locks that entirely covers the steering wheel is the way to go and you can transfer it to the next car you buy.

4) Motion spotlights

The ordinary bar steering locks are next to useless. The gear stick/handbrake locks are utterly and completely a waste of time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kaos Theory

Best security device going...

Get a dog.

My two bark the place down the second anyone comes near the back garden but know to ignore people walking up the front and ringing the doorbell.

Kaos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

You want to get yourself one of these bad boys!!

A trunk monkey

http://www.trunkmonkey.com/content/view/28/51/

:D:D:D:D

Sorry couldnt reseist!;)

Advertisement