Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boiling Battery

Options
  • 21-03-2007 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Could do with everyone's help on this one. I've a Ducati 916 sitting in the garage that gets dusted off every few months, and normally the Battery's fine, but it's dead. D.E.D dead. So I've it on an Optimate outside of the bike going through a test cycle to desulphate it, but one of the cells in the battery has bubbles rising through the acid.

Is this normal? I've a thread on my alarm that includes this in the MC Forum, but I feel I'll get more answers here on the subject of the Battery itself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Is it actually leaking acid? I've never really heard of a battery boiling. I would recommend you replace it, if the acid got onto the paint on your lovely Ducati you would be kicking yourself. A new battery should not set you back more then 50-60 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah dude bad cell, so thats why its dead, new one needed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I had this once,turns out the battery was fine,i had just topped it up with water but i put too much in?!or the water wasnt distilled?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's no water in the Battery, and it's not leaking. One of the guys on the UK Ducati Forum in my sig says it's normal, and to leave it cook away for about 2 days until the Optimate has fully recovered the battery. I think I'll bring it to work and leave it cook the the workshop here, rather than risk my own garage going up in flames :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

I just replaced my battery for a Gixr 750, Bike batteries dont like lying up for any length of time particularly the Chinese/Taiwanese cheapos. If your buying best sticking to Yuasa Jap Batteries, they are a few quid more but worth it in the long run. Mountjoy stock them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mine's a Varta, which is about as reputable as you can get. I'm going to hook it up when I get home from work tonight, and see how I get on with it. If you don't hear from me in a few days assume the worst has happened!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

ned78 wrote:
    Mine's a Varta, which is about as reputable as you can get. I'm going to hook it up when I get home from work tonight, and see how I get on with it. If you don't hear from me in a few days assume the worst has happened!

Varta have to be be good if BMW choose them. You know your self you pay for what you get. Also check with a multimeter to make sure the bike is charging, Id say its the battery knackered from lying. My ex has the 916 sp2 she disconnected the immobiliser and changed the battery leads to heavier duty cables, She also keeps the battery trickle charging using an optimiser.

Advertisement