Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up a music school

Options
  • 21-03-2007 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I want to set up a music school.
    Is setting up a school the same as any other business or are there any decisions I need to consider from the outset, as in grants as an educational institution etc...?
    I'm starting small and growing to larger premises hopefully following a 2/3 year business plan
    At least, thats how I think I should be starting my research, but I guess I'm just looking for advise on where and how best to set up a music school. fyi... I and my wife are music (post)graduates an have commercial experience also in other varied occuaptions and are looking for advise on the best place to start. (I know the business plan is a good start but am looking for more pratical/funding advise being education.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

There are many ways to open a business but I beleive the best way is with a thorough business plan and that before that is completed you don't really know what's really going on. Otherwise it's like trying to drive from Paris to Milan without a map or signposts and no serious investor or lending instituion will want to talk to you. I'd suggest not thinking about grants, they are few and far between and most good business ideas don't need them. That said, an important part of your planning should obviously involve their investigation and if they are there for you well you might as well take them.
    All I know about education is that it's not subject to VAT (please check this for yourself though). A good read, especially because it's free, is: Toil & Trouble (I'd post a link but it's not working for me). Goggle it and just type in your address and the dept of eneterprise send it to you. On top of that I'd say get a good accountant or book keeper and for a business like yours maybe get together a really killer marketing plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 narcissism

Thanks Frobisher.
    Thats the kind of post I was looking for!!
    Any other advise anyyone?
    I've already read all the "how to set up a business" posts etc...
    I like forbisher says have (somewhat) of a business plan and will only execute it when all talk is exahusted,,, thats why I'm posting....

http://www.welfare.ie/publications/toiltrouble.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

narcissism wrote:
    I'm starting small and growing to larger premises hopefully following a 2/3 year business plan

Why don't you start off by running summer courses to test the market,
    you can rent classrooms cheaply from schools and town halls.

Advertise in local newsletters and do mail drops, in the areas where you will
    be running the courses.

Make sure to ask people how they found out about you, to see which advertising medium is working best.

Advertisement